The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Alfalfa cube users please tell him I am not crazy/weird!

Well, perhaps I am a bit crazy or weird at times with the horses, but I KNOW I am not alone on this one!! Please tell my DH that I am NOT the only person in the world who breaks up the soaked cubes by hand before serving to the beasties! He wanted me to post since he is sure he's right!

Oh forgot to mention I have a free dinner riding on this!!!

Well, I break them up by hand before soaking. Does that count?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I break 'em up before soaking and check 'em afterwards to be sure they're small.. if not, I finish the job by breaking them up.

Homie has seen choke once... never EVER want to see it again. It's worth having green hands
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I do this too. Sometimes the big ones are wet on the outside but still dry on the inside, so I break them up by hand, mix them around, and let them sit a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Me, too! They soak a lot faster if they're broken up first. Hell on your nails, but.....

Um
    I would (and still will)stick my arm in the bucket of soaked beet pulp pellets to squish any that aren't already turned to mush.
    So tell him he owes you a free dinner.

PS-I've only used pellets when the shreds aren't available-the pellets take a longggg time to turn to mush.

Hmm, well I don't soak or break them up. I do feed them at ground level though.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I soak alfalfa cubes in hot water for 45 minutes, then mash them all up with a spoon. Any still hard ones get more hot water poured over them and more mashing with a spoon...

...so I'd say you're getting a free dinner!

I quit using them except as "catch me" treats and went to pellets BECAUSE the cubes take so long to soak/break apart. When I did use them, I always made sure they were broken up.

I used to, because they didn't all soak through, so there would be some still rock hard in the center. Now I just give in and soak them for 12hrs and use much more, and much hotter, water than they need so i end up with a big bucket'o' fluffy alfalfa.

I soak the cubes in hot water which makes them soak faster and break up better. I do not break them up before soaking.

for a good soak I make sure the water to cube ratio is 2:1
    ex for 1/2 bucket of cubes I fill the bucket all the way with water

You are so getting a free dinner...

I do that too - the bigger ones can be dry in the middle so I always break them up and let them soak a little longer

Pick someplace reallly good for that dinner !!

I break them up before I soak them, feel they soak better and faster when they are smaller, To save the finger nails if I can't break by hand I use the claw on a hammer, works like a charm.

I soak in hot water about 30 - 45 minutes, check for hard pieces before I go down to barn and put more hot water on for the hard pieces. Old pony not so great teeth makes it much easier for him to chew.

So....whats for dinner???
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

I can already taste that dinner!!!! Tell DH that I always broke up the cubes after one horse CHOKED badly on unbroken ones. Now I feed alfalfa pellets so I don't need to worry. You are so right.

If I have the cubes in a bucket, I soak them in really hot water (about 5 inches of it over the cubes) and then about 10-20 minutes later, stir it up a couple times while they're soaking and that's usually all it takes to make a mush type dinner out of them. I went to the pellets also, easier to dish up half a scoop of pellets rather than soak cubes....

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Me too! Wearing work gloves cuts down on the damage to nails.

I think you and the rest of the people on this thread owe him a dinner. You all have way too much time on your hands. How many horses are you feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by OTV View Post
    I soak alfalfa cubes in hot water for 45 minutes, then mash them all up with a spoon. Any still hard ones get more hot water poured over them and more mashing with a spoon...

...so I'd say you're getting a free dinner!
    ditto!
    so whereya going for dinner?
    healthywhitetea.com castingforrecovery.org
    Laugh it up fuzzball

Life, like all other games, becomes fun when one realizes that it's just a game – Nerijus Stasiulis