The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How would you design THIS tack room? *Updated with pictures of new tack room!*

On Saturday I am gutting out my tack/feed room and redoing it (with the help of a very very handy boyfriend ). I want it to be tidy, easy to move around, easy to get to things, overally just efficient. I'll let you know some more specifics, and then please give me your suggestions on how you would arrange it. The more specific the better!

-12'x12' space
    -Plywood walls on three sides, front is a swing-open half stall door with some wall space on either side
    -Currently there are four wooden wall-mounted saddle racks which may be able to be moved (I was thinking instead of in a straight row, taking up a whole wall like right now, I could do two on the bottom, two on the top so it would take up a smaller space. I only consistently use one saddle anyway. The other racks hold my western saddle and various pads).
    -There is a spigot in one corner
    -Currently a shelf along one wall
    -We have several metal trashcans for feed
    -We use Smartpak drawers for supplement storage
    -I have a ton of bridle hook hangers
    -I want to mount swing-open blanket racks higher along the wall, like this:
    Blanket hook
    This can be higher up on the wall to keep out of the way and we can use a stepstool when we need to pull one down. The walls go up around 12 or so feet

The spigot is in the first right corner when you walk in.

Please, any suggestions would be extremely helpful! Where to put the saddle racks, where to put bridle hooks, where to put the shelf or if we should take it out, how to store the supplements, what to put up to store the various ointments/creams/sprays, where to store the grooming stuff, etc.
    Last edited by Crown Royal; Jan. 28, 2012 at 06:30 PM.

OP, How many horses?

I have a really small feed/tack room. Its really less than 12x12 because there are a few feet taken up by stairs to the loft.

Here's some pics of mine that might give you ideas.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

Definitely use vertical space and take advantage of those high walls.

If you can, I'd hang the blankets in the barn instead of the tack room. Wet/dirty blankets may add unwanted moisture and odor.

I use a lot of wire basket shelves on the walls to hold bottles of shampoo, betadine, hoof dressing, etc like these: http://store.closetmaid.com/webapp/w...roductId=10112

Definitley stack your saddle racks... putting them in a horizontal line is a huge waste of space. Hitch rings in the barn to snap lead ropes to keep them handy. Get the biggest trash cans you can possibly find to store feed. I can fit 3 50lb bags into mine. They've lasted for 12 years now and I've never had a rodent in them.

I also this cube storage units with the individual baskets to store bell boots, splint boots, polo wraps, etc. Keeps them clean, handy, and organized. http://www6.homedepot.com/marthastew...age/index.html. Absolutely love it!

I've been reorganizing for the last month or so. The walls you can't see are the wall where the stairs are, which is where I have one of those bridle racks that has room for 5 bridles, and the wall where the saddle racks are. I'm really short, so I can't hang them too high, but I have them stacked in sets of 2. Between the saddle racks and the feedbins, I have a 5' long wooden trunk for blanket storage. The SmartPak drawers sit on that.

I have four horses. We have two different types of feed, and I would love to be able to store extra bags of feed in the barn without having mice/rats chew the bags open.

I have several different bridles and lots of bits! I'm thinking the cube storage would be great for the bits and wraps...great idea! I have one western saddle I use and one English saddle, so I could put those on the bottom two saddle racks and all the light pads on the top two.

I would love to see the photos of your tack room, but they are set to private.

To help you do this yourself without surprises, and help us help you, measure EVERYTHING, go get that square ruled paper and call each block 3" or 6", then make little cut outs of your "stuff" and figure it, because admittedly I am horrible at arranging things, and even worse if I *think* something might fit and merrily plan to put it somewhere only to discover that I need 5 more inches (happened with a couch once, sucker was heavy and then I had to put it back??). Maybe there's an app for that or a CAD program, but it helps to know exactly how much room you really have.

I tried to describe my trainer's tack room for you because it's pretty good, but what you have is everything - the feed, the groom totes etc. and I need to know how much space the feed is taking up - barrels, old freezer, bags on the floor, what? Again I need the sizes of the totes/grooming supplies, although my personal preference would be to have a set of four shelves perpendicular to the wall about even with the door for grab and go items such as grooming supplies and whips, halters and leads. (I have open shelves from Lowe's in my laundry room for that)
    Your handy BF could ply wood the back side or make a short stub wall to hang items on both sides, and the bridles could be hung there with other tack - my trainer has three over four saddle racks (12 total) so it's a common use of wall space. I'd put the feed/ supps on the spigot side - keeping tack with feed can be dangerous - I have a very old western saddle with totally mouse eaten fleece - where there is feed there are mice.
    And I'd put anything you don't need often, like blanket storage, on the back wall, or alternatively put saddles and bridles straight in and hide unfrequently used stuff behind the perpendicular shelves.
    And for heaven's sake leave room for a broom, dustpan and trash can! I can't tell you how often I have washed those stupid feed bag strings because I stuffed them in my pocket and forgot about them - what a mess!

I wish I had a pic to show you, but all my stuff is hanging on a three saddle rack http://www.tractorsupply.com/three-t...t-rack-2200347 in the living room, LOL. The groom totes live on one of these http://www.lowes.com/pd_71034-80752-...its&facetInfo= in the laundry room.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Jan. 26, 2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: the shelves are pretty useful because they can be moved
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
    I have four horses. We have two different types of feed, and I would love to be able to store extra bags of feed in the barn without having mice/rats chew the bags open.

I have several different bridles and lots of bits! I'm thinking the cube storage would be great for the bits and wraps...great idea! I have one western saddle I use and one English saddle, so I could put those on the bottom two saddle racks and all the light pads on the top two.

I would love to see the photos of your tack room, but they are set to private.
    Sorry. Let me check to see if I can get them up on photobucket. Here: http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/w...lubinsky/Barn/.

I have a few more on my cellphone I will upload later (forgot my phone today.)

I second the idea that blankets should be hung elsewhere. After last year's battling tack rooms with humidity and tack boxes stored in the aisle next to the exterior door in a moisture-retaining barn, moisture is THE WORST. My tack STILL smells moldy after several cleanings and lots of use!

The barn I'm at stores their feeds bins (metal or plastic trash bins) on home-made dollies (I think they're just wood set in a "+" shape, with a little lip on each spoke, mounted on wheels). They are up off the ground a little, and are super easy to pull out even when full. Then, they are stored beneath a tall-ish counter (the family is very tall, though, so it's a perfect height for them). The counter is a great place to prep food/meds/SmartPaks/etc. Over the counter they have cabinets and wall-mounted racks for storing things. The entire "feed room" is actually a nook in the aisle of the barn, and when not in use there are two sliding doors that come together (with a little dowel coming out of the bottom of one to slide into a recess in the other to keep them together) and they are held shut by two horseshoe things that were iron-smithed into handles (one has an opening in it), and the handles are held together by a chain that hangs off of one handle and can be looped around the other at the opening.

One barn I was at had several pegs hanging at the top of the stall on the aisle-side (it was an end-stall, and one of the doors to the indoor was back there so there was a fair aisle way). People could hang their blankets off of that, either for summer storage or for drying. You could do something similar with those meat-hook looking bridle cleaning racks, and since you're short, if you can rig a pulley system you can raise or lower it.

I can see if I can install the blanket hooks in the aisle. We have a six stall barn (three on each side) with a narrow center aisle and swing-open half doors in the center of each stall. The three stalls on the left are occupied by horses and have a bracket on the aisle wall for hanging pitchforks and brooms. The right side has the first tack/feed room, wall with a shelf that could probably be taken out, a horse-occupied stall, a wall that currently gets a week's worth of hay stacked up against, and then a third stall we are hoping to clear out soon to store some hay and bedding in during the winter, then turn it into a wash stall later on. I originally wanted to put the blankets in there, but then decided I'd rather split in between hay and shavings for now since I use a lot in the winter. I can probably hang the blankets up in the aisle where the shelf currently is and where I currently stack the hay, then clean and store the big blankets in big bins in the loft for the summer.

Great ideas guys!

I definitely recommend using graph paper and arranging pieces of paper to scale first
    When I was a SUPER COOL kid with so many friends and such a crazy social life (oh I'm killin myself here lol!) I would do this with my bedroom furniture. I'd rearrange it every other month or so, lol. I'd also design horse farms with the added bonus of not ever considering cost, topography, water and power supplies, etc :-)

The container store is like crack for people like me, but you can find similar organizational tools at walmart or home depot. I always consider the size i may need now (of a container or drawers) only after pulling EVERYTHING out and grouping it together. It's so annoying to have a fantastic organizational system that only fits 85% of your stuff!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    I definitely recommend using graph paper and arranging pieces of paper to scale first
    When I was a SUPER COOL kid with so many friends and such a crazy social life (oh I'm killin myself here lol!) I would do this with my bedroom furniture. I'd rearrange it every other month or so, lol. I'd also design horse farms with the added bonus of not ever considering cost, topography, water and power supplies, etc :-)
    Now THAT is a very good idea.

The container store is like crack for people like me, but you can find similar organizational tools at walmart or home depot. I always consider the size i may need now (of a container or drawers) only after pulling EVERYTHING out and grouping it together. It's so annoying to have a fantastic organizational system that only fits 85% of your stuff!
    Oh good, I'm not alone!
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

So I started early today and finished the right half of it. Against the right wall is a shelf running all the way from the back to a couple feet out from where the spigot is. In the back right corner, under the shelf, I have my three trash bins of feed. Immediately above these, on the shelf, I have my smartpaks drawers. Beside them on the shelf are various other supplements/medications and for now I have my other horse-care topical stuff (betadine, wound ointments, fly sprays, show sheen, etc). Underneath this is a small wooden trunk that I will probably fill with things like vetwrap and guaze.

The middle of the tack room is currently empty.

On the left side, I plan to have my four saddle racks mounted (two on top) in the front corner, closest to the door. On the right along the rest of the wall, at head-height, I think I'm going to have all of the bridle hooks. Underneath them I'm going to put a cube-type organizer long-ways with baskets/containers inside to hold support boots, wraps, spurs, etc. Lovely handy BF will be making me one out of wood. The back wall will have my rubbermaid-type containers stacked/side-by-side. I have one that I'll store my show-only stuff in (CLEAN white saddle pads, show bridle, show halter, etc.) and the others will store my winter blankets in the summer.

It already looks much more open and I love having a long open middle to actually MOVE! I'm very excited to finish it tomorrow. Blankets will be hung up in the aisle on the wall space between tack room and middle stall, and middle stall and soon-to-be winter hay/shaving storage/summer wash stall.

I will have to update later tomorrow with pictures!

Is there anything in your tack room that you added (other than a washer/dryer/hot water heater/fancy stuff) that you like, that makes it just a little nicer? Pictures, a chair, anything like that?

If you can afford it I would buy a pre made formica counter top (HomeDepot/Lowes)you can cut to fit, and have it wall mounted then slid your feed cans underneith w/ cabinets(craigslist) or shelves hung above. you then have a place to work on store your smartpak bins on and shelves/cabnets for drugs bandages etc. Makes the most of wall space. Put in mini fridge and a microwave..so many good uses. Heats water, not only for coffe but to clean tack w/ ;, heat up poultic and I melt my frozen DMSO...
    Hang all 4 saddle racks if possible railroaded vertically one under the other. If you boyfriend is really handy dandy put in a plywood ceiling, room will stay warmer/ dryer cleaner.

You may want to consider self standing, portable saddle racks, that you can add bars for them from for one to four saddles.
    I have two in my tackroom and when I remodel it around, I can just move them here and there, they are not stuck on a wall and I can't change them easily then.

There are many models out there and you still can put other stuff under them, if something bigger like a tack box, you can leave the bottom saddle bar off, or the two bottom ones:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...2-20-07280.jpg

I just cleaned the tackroom and moved those saddle racks closer to the door, on another wall and put the trunk where they used to be.
    Not so easy to do if they had been permanently hung up on the wall.

I put a small open shelf cabinet under the blanket rack to hold what is stacked there in boxes and bags.

However you arrange your tack room, you may consider that in use you may decide to change things around.
    Try to arrange them where they can be changed around when your needs change.

Bluey-
    I will be moving into your tackroom shortly. Just so ya know.....
    Come to the darkside...we have cookies.

I'd also design horse farms with the added bonus of not ever considering cost, topography, water and power supplies, etc :-)
    Me too!! My stepfather was an engineer for a long time and he always brought home the best graph paper for me to draw countless barns on.

I second the idea of pulling EVERYTHING out in order to see what all you really have and how much space each group of stuff needs. Labels for drawers help too, and it will keep you organized as you obtain more stuff over the years.
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You may want to consider self standing, portable saddle racks, that you can add bars for them from for one to four saddles.
    I have two in my tackroom and when I remodel it around, I can just move them here and there, they are not stuck on a wall and I can't change them easily then.

There are many models out there and you still can put other stuff under them, if something bigger like a tack box, you can leave the bottom saddle bar off, or the two bottom ones:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...2-20-07280.jpg

I just cleaned the tackroom and moved those saddle racks closer to the door, on another wall and put the trunk where they used to be.
    Not so easy to do if they had been permanently hung up on the wall.

I put a small open shelf cabinet under the blanket rack to hold what is stacked there in boxes and bags.

However you arrange your tack room, you may consider that in use you may decide to change things around.
    Try to arrange them where they can be changed around when your needs change.
    Are you pullin' our legs?! That room must be in your house. We're building a new barn soon, but I still can't imagine it being water/air tight enough to keep books in! That's awesome.

A timely thread for me. Some great storage ideas. Thanks all.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

so many good suggestions!
    as far as the 'old tried and true' graph paper idea:

try this site:
    http://www.aleracontracting.com/
    (first thing I do is find the 'sound on / off'" option in bottom right hand corner.) but anyway...click on their green highlighted "free design center software" and you'll have a grid you can put outlines on, corners on, etc. Yes, there is a bank of (vertical scroll down, right hand menu) 'furniture' options, but I found using some of them because of 'size' to the grid worked even for other things like tack cabinets, etc.
    I used this for my electrical contractor too...showing outlets, etc....best thing is you can print these!!!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Thank you everyone! Tack room is almost complete! I have everything where I want it for now. Handy BF still has to make me the cubbies to place under where the bridles are. Nothing fancy, but it does look MUCH better! I'll definitely have to see about getting a mini-fridge and microwave as those would be very handy! Today handy BF put up the scrap plywood we had over some of the top openings to keep the draft out, and did mention perhaps doing a more shallow plywood ceiling for heat.

I'm in the process of getting my pictures on my computer from my phone and will post them shortly.

Edit: Bluey- your tackroom cleanliness is unreal! lol!

CR - Looks like you are off to a great start! Isn't it nice to have a handy BF!

Very nice! If you have different length girths you could hang them on the wall where the calendar is, it saves having to go through the pile on the saddle rack (one boarding barn had quite a pile on a saddle rack - I gave up sorting through them and bought my own, LOL) Just add those cubbies and maybe an upright set of shelves later if you feel you need them for blankets or whatever.

Now you'll have to train yourself to USE your nice system - labels will be very helpful, and don't forget that trash can for trash!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible