The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage shows with money back? Who would be interested?

A friend of mine talked about starting her own shows (schooling) with money back classes.

Only the lower levels Intro-3rd as this would be an incentive to get new amatures involved.

She wants to do it with a leader board that lists the top 5 riders in each level for everyone to see. Depending on the amount of interest there would be money back to 5th place or so in each level.

She also said there would be fun things like youngest rider gets their tests free... Or cutest pony awards (like a little trophy)... Or prettiest turnout... (Mostly these would be for young riders). She also said at lunch they could have a leadline dressage class! How cute would that be?

What kind of interest would there be in this?

I know personally I would LOVE to make the schooling events more competative as well as maybe get your classes paid for when you have a good day PLUS I myself would love to see TONS of new young riders bringing their horses.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    A friend of mine talked about starting her own shows (schooling) with money back classes.

Only the lower levels Intro-3rd as this would be an incentive to get new amatures involved.

She wants to do it with a leader board that lists the top 5 riders in each level for everyone to see. Depending on the amount of interest there would be money back to 5th place or so in each level.

She also said there would be fun things like youngest rider gets their tests free... Or cutest pony awards (like a little trophy)... Or prettiest turnout... (Mostly these would be for young riders). She also said at lunch they could have a leadline dressage class! How cute would that be?

What kind of interest would there be in this?

I know personally I would LOVE to make the schooling events more competative as well as maybe get your classes paid for when you have a good day PLUS I myself would love to see TONS of new young riders bringing their horses.

Well sure $ back will make folks love your friends schooling show. But how big of a schooling show does she think she can run? For all the awards mentioned above she would need quite the jam packed one day one ring show.

And keep in mind, the 'cutest pony award' = other riders who do not win it may be standing at the awards table crying...

I really don't know how many people are going to show up for a leadline dressage class??

I don't think any 'new' people are going to be drawn in by $. But if there are a lot of schooling shows in her area then it could definitely attract attention for her show.

Does she plan to affiliate the shows with the local club/GMO/USDF affiliate? Points towards GMO awards matter to a lot of people.

Before she plans a dressage schooling show she needs to consider what else is offered in the area, what the strengths and weaknesses are of the other events offered (people might put up with crappy parking if they get judged by a 'R' instead of an 'L', etc.) what else is happening on the dates she plans to have the shows (some weekends are very popular and there may be already established events) etc, etc, etc.

$ back is nice. But there's a lot of other things to be considered.

Yes the other Schooling shows are morning till night Some of them two day !

But she wants to focus on lower level and youth riders (the awards were just examples).

She is hoping to get more riders and even lower level trainers out there with more and more kids like the A shows are doing with hunters...

I dont know if she will affiliate or not...

The place already holds shows, as well as she already was on the commitee of one dressage show held there so she is familiar...

She was just hoping to add to it without distraction.

Not travel for the leadline no... But maybe people who are already there lol...

I would be there in a heartbeat! I love when dressage shows are FUN!
    My kid has to put up with a lot of "give up mommy" for my horses, she got to do a leadline class this summer - she was SO proud of herself and boasted about it to anyone who would listen. It was not so hard on my part - it was not particularly formal dress either. But all involved - kid, mom, and grandparents have great memories of her first "show". It was not hard on the horse either

Dressage 4 kids, does alot of the little fun awards & leadline.
    Although they work very very hard on volunteers & donations.
    I'm sure if you contact they can give suggestions.
    Two smaller dressage org. around me give vouchers for memberships or classes instead of $.

- prix caprilli is a class that seems to attract youth to the idea of dressage.
    - Pas a Deux may be fun to offer too; make your own test, but music optional would keep it simple.

At some of the little shows here they have "bonus" prizes for things like best turn out, cutest markings and such. They are usually awarded by the show volunteers and are awarded both on merit and to encourage someone who is having a bad day but keeping a good attitude.

Not as sure money would be a draw; it would depend on if you can do it while keeping the rates the same. I would not want to pay more for the chance at a few bucks. If you have a tack store at the show, perhaps they would sponsor gift certificates for the show (perhaps in exchange for being on site?)

You could also consider offering the first class of the day as a "leadline optional" class, but make it for riders of all ages. I have some mature students that started riding late in life, and a class were I could go in with them would make them much more confident about attending their first show. I could also see someone with a baby horse perhaps liking a class like that. It isn't just little kids that want/need help

She talked about having a class like that but where you could go in the arena with your trainer for 5 minutes each to just work around the tent and such that would also be kind of a lead line thing if needed

I thought that was an awesome idea where you go in and do a dry run type thing. No judging just getting the horse ready and used to everything.

Its a schooling show... So anything goes IMO as far as helping people take steps towards the actual testing.

In our farm schooling series, we've offered leadline, walk only, and buddy dressage (where the rider follows another horse and rider) and they have all been wonderfully successful. FWIW, we run our 4 shows as a series with Champions and Reserves too . . . these are not in any way rated or sanctioned. Dress is relaxed (safety first though) and the atmosphere is great for newby riders and horses. I've never seen so many grandparents and spectators!!!! The Prix Caprilli changed the insurance rates though as it was considered a jumping event. . . .

The very first thing I thought of after reading a couple lines was: "oh sweet! I can win lots of cash by entering my 3rd level horse in training level classes - who's gonna stop me??"
    Hey, then maybe all of my recognized shows will be payed for!

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a smart *** here -- seems like there'd have to be some regulation? Brand new horses/riders versus seasoned pairs; Warmblood versus other breeds?? Or else the people you are trying to attract will not be attracted long... Unlike regular schooling shows, I think you might start to attract seasoned people. Maybe?
    Last edited by GimmeQs; Jan. 26, 2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Edited to say - on second thought, it's not like you'll be giving out $500, so people would not actually make a profit!