The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    I like this Jordan, too, and agree with the above sentiment. So much so that I've been spending lots of time looking at draftXes on the trail and endurance forum thread. Maybe??
    My big guy does NATRC competitions (35+ miles), and does very well. We're usually in the top 3. While other horses canter/walk, we just keep on trotting. The off-side ground mounting can be a challenge because of his size, but even big horses can get fit enough for this low-level 'endurance' stuff.

ASBjumper I don't assume he's tight in the back because he's a saddlebred, I wonder if he was trained to that saddlebred trot because he's a saddlebred. Sometimes I see driving horses that have been trained to look "fancy". I realise they don't fall out of their mamas doing that tight backed trot thing.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

This is the guy I got Fella from. He seems to get quite a few draft crosses coming through -some with a pretty good roll of the gene dice. I like to window shop his horses.

Paula

I like Jordon also. Like other have said, if you could imagine him with muscling over his topline, he would really be quite a looker! It would be nice to see a video though.....
    Wiiliam
    "A good horse is worth more than riches."
    - Spanish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    And now - just thinking out loud - why does anyone want a horse that big (unless of course they truly need one)?
    This guy is cute, although those pasterns worry me a bit (not from a smoothness standpoint, but from a long term soundness standpoint!).

As for the above question, I'd venture that the big, lofty movement that many of them have can be both intoxicating and pee your pants giggle-worthy.

I speak from experience (though, mine's a TB!), and will say that I make no promises to stay inside the piddly little white fence the first time he does a canter lengthening.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Paula, since you bought your guy from the seller, maybe you can ask him to put up a video? Many are curious to see how he moves!

Do you think I should ask? I don't like to lead sellers on when I'm not buying. Do you think it would be bad form?

Okay, I called. He sold. John said he had a nice smooth way of going. I asked if he was tight in the back and he said no. BTW apparently he has a full brother and a sister (sister is currently in foal to a Friesian).

LOL! Of course I told him I loved Mac. Mac apparently is a nice ride too.

Paula

Why is it all the horses I like sell before I can do anything about it?

In this market? Don't worry, you'll find your horse.

Paula

Ah, well, hopefully he got a great home. I love Mac, too, but just imagine trying to fit him for tack, blankets, etc--

Paula, I have you to thank for my recent interest in Drafts...I found a few nice guys and gals on draftsforsale.com. I just looked at the video of this guy. I found him a few nights ago,and I think I'm kinda in love...

http://draftsforsale.com/ShowAd/inde...=4ee2e6a8021ba

Whaddaya think??? I'm kinda lovin him....and from the vid, it seems that he is very well-loved.

hm- butt high, upright pasterns, not anything close to a dressage prospect for the upperlevels, but he is cheap, and if he makes the rider happy, he is very well suited. Will he be at the regional or national championship level, unlikely.

Ah, well, hopefully he got a great home. I love Mac, too, but just imagine trying to fit him for tack, blankets, etc--

Indeed. Where I board and ride the trainer's daughter has a PMU perch named Galant. He's about 18hh. Moves like a dream. He looks like a Friesian on steroids. But you're right; special tack and blankets. Eh well; if I want to get my 18hh draft on I'll ride Galant!

Paula, I have you to thank for my recent interest in Drafts

Mwahahaha! My work here is done.

...I found a few nice guys and gals on draftsforsale.com. I just looked at the video of this guy. I found him a few nights ago,and I think I'm kinda in love...

http://draftsforsale.com/ShowAd/inde...=4ee2e6a8021ba

Whaddaya think??? I'm kinda lovin him....and from the vid, it seems that he is very well-loved.

Well first of all, I love love LOVE spotted drafts. They're my kind of horse -loud and large He looks like a dream ride. Go check him out!

You realize he's 4 and has some growing yet to do right? But go check him out!

I love that he's up for anything.

Paula

yes, I loved the "FUN-LOVING" description....

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    We have a cross just like him at our barn. Arrived as a 4 yr old last year, also broke to drive, with some under saddle time. He was big then, he is HUGE now and can be a bully. (Not his fault really, his AA owner is intimidated by him.) The person who most successfully rides him is a very tall, long legged young woman (almost 6 ft) who has the strength and finesse to push him through lots of nonsense. He does have a nice way of going - once you get him going!
    This has been my experience with the couple ASBXPerch crosses I've been around. Both were broke/handled by experienced people; the first was awful (would lay down in harness when she quit) the second is pretty dumb/bull headed so far; he's still pretty green, so hopefully he improves. Both are completely different breeding, with different trainers, and are 2 big bullies.

Percherons do not suffer fools. This has been my experience. They are really intelligent and have Arabian temperament in their recent history. Anyone who looks at one of them and thinks -big dumb draft is in for a surprise. That's what I like about them -they have some vinegar. Fella is not an easy horse. John said he intimidated his seller. He didn't intimidate or push John around, and he doesn't intimidate me or push me around, but the BO says he crowds her.

I've learned that you can't bribe or force Fella. He makes you honest about your training.

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoodle View Post
    hm- butt high, upright pasterns, not anything close to a dressage prospect for the upperlevels, but he is cheap, and if he makes the rider happy, he is very well suited. Will he be at the regional or national championship level, unlikely.
    Now, did you REALLY think that lovey1121 was looking at him as an upper level dressage prospect, or were you just trying to be contrary?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Does he walk,trot and canter? Does he have a good temperament? If so, he can do low level dressage just fine! Will he be a competative FEI horse? Not likely, but remember that in most cases it is the talent of the rider that is most limiting (by far!).
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Jordan has a much better conformation than Mac does, as far as riding horse is concerned.

And no. He does not have straight shoulders. Even with his front legs standing way back, which will cause illusion of straighter shoulders, you can still see a decent angle there. And no, he does not have long back. The whole body is well portioned between front ends, back, and hind ends.

The biggest concerns I have of him is the pastern, the tie back knees, and the how the hind cannon bones tie to the hock. Other than that, pretty good.

Talking

Just thought I'd clue everyone in. I am the person who bought him. He is barn name is Fritz...short for Schnickelfritz (Pennsylvania Dutch (main language amish speak) for Troublemaker). John hadn't put a video up of him because he misbehaves. He intimidated basically everyone!!!

And he won't just be a dressage horse. He is going to be trained hunter/ eventing. I am only 17 years old (senior in highschool) ao I'll show him hunter in 4H. By next year, we should be doing eventing.

And trust me when I say, he's A LOT bigger than he seems.

~Ariona

Hey, Ariona!

Welcome. I got my horse from John too! How cool! And Fella won't just be a dressage horse either. Yeah that's what John told me when I asked about video LOL. He's pretty fresh.

Paula