The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Default Smartpak website issues???

Is anyone else having chronic issues with Smartpak pages constantly reloading with Chrome? In IE, Mozilla, and Safari, I am able to get the pages to load, but in the area where one would fill put size, color drop down boxes... I just get the spinning arrow like it just can't load those drop down boxes.

I have tried the website on multiple different machines: 7 different physical ThinkPads (tried with XP and Windows 7 OS), my iPhone (on the wireless) AND the iPad (on the wireless) all to no avail. The ONLY way I can get the website to work at my house was to have hubby boot up a Virtual Machine in a work lab on the East Coast. Finally I was able to actually use the website.

Is anyone one else having issues, and if so do you have COMCAST (or as I call it... CRAPcast) as an ISP? It appears that I cannot access my favorite online horse store from my own house, and while it's probably a good thing for my wallet, I would like to try and fix the issue. If it turns out to be CRAPcast then that might just be the last freaking straw...

DH, the network genius, is scratching his head over this and told me to ask the great COTHers if anyone else is experiencing this phenomenon as well.
    Last edited by drmgncolor; Jan. 25, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Dreaming in Color

I have Comcast (though I'm in Maine, so it may not matter) and I've never had an issue with SmartPak's site on any browser...just retested on a couple pages in Chrome to make sure. Is your Java up to date? Shot in the dark, but that's all that really comes to mind. I'm assuming your browsers are all up to date with the latest version.

I would definitely send SmartPak a note about it--the more detailed the better. I work in the ECommerce world and when we receive a pattern of customer complaints about web issues, we know it's something we need to investigate.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Thanks for your reply. I actually recorded a video of the issues on different browsers with Camtasia and was going to send it to Smartpak until DH booted the Virtual Machine all the way across the US and the site played nicely. Up until that point, he was adamant that it was a Smartpak's website issue since we tested it on every single booted computer in our house. He checked our ISP traffic and no packets have been denied to/from that particular IP address from our house. He's kind of stumped now.

DH is a computer geek, like... I need the shirt. (Even our 42 inch TV is really a computer!) I really doubt that all 7 computers I tested have out of date Java, but I will check with DH. Part of my work requires Java updates fairly consistently, so at least mine should work.

And why just the Smartpak site? Not one other site have I ever had this issue with. I might go into withdrawal if I can't internet shop for horse stuff!
    Dreaming in Color

Yep, I haven't been able to get onto the smartpak site in about a month. Chrome keeps telling me the page won't load and it eventually freezes, then kills the page. Internet Explorer opens it just fine so I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

No problems on my end - I have Verizon and the website opened fine this morning for me. I haven't had a problem getting on their site at all and I'm on it a lot .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

It sounds like it is worth contacting Smartpak about if the site is not working for more than one person using the same program.

I haven't been able to open it with Safari in a couple of weeks. It tells me that Safari can't connect to the server.

Super annoying because I'd like to order more ulcerguard.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Ok, so it's not just me then.

Good to know. I will send them the link to this thread and the video I created, if I can find it now.
    Dreaming in Color