The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Easiplait Braiders

Anyone use these? if so are they ok looking to show in?

I really cannot braid and if I can 'cheat' with these it would be great!

I had heard that they look terrible though
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

I bought them as a Tack of the Day item a few years ago. I thought they were horrible looking.

The good news is practice does make things easier. It used to take me 1.5 hours to braid - now it takes 40 minutes.

Horrible in what way? Just bulky
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSprats Mom View Post
    Horrible in what way? Just bulky
    Yes, bulky and the tacky velvet-type fabric doesn't blend in with the hair like yarn or bands do.

I've got those, too, but haven't had to braid for awhile and haven't used them yet. But, I watched the video and they CAN be made to look okay, or I wouldn't have bought them. I, too, am fumble-fingered and don't want to buy a braid job if I don't have to, so I got them for my CWB mare. My PSL mare only needs a French braided mane, and even *I* can do that. I wish a WB could be French braided.

My verdict...meh.

I used them to tidy up my horse for a clinic. One or two fell out by the end so that was embarrassing. The effect on my horse reminded me of the stand-up wired braids of a draft horse.

I would -never- do a show with these in a mane.

I've never seen these before but I have to wonder if they would even meet USEF rules re: decoration in manes?
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Speaking of "wired braids", I have some wires that are threaded into the braids in the place of yarn, and they seemed to make the braiding easier. I've forgot what they are called--maybe Braid Wires, duh--but when I go out to feed I'll look at them. They, also, had a video that went with them that look pretty good. Better than the easplaits.

ETA--Braideez Braiding Wires. There was a thread about them here. And a YouTube video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewNErDpBHgw

Quote Originally Posted by threemagicalmares View Post
    ETA--Braideez Braiding Wires. There was a thread about them here. And a YouTube video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewNErDpBHgw
    I watched the video. IMO, rubber bands seem quicker to put on and easier to remove. I found that practice makes perfect. The more practice, the faster you get too. No need for gimicks.

But with the wires you can just shape the braid into hunter-style or button-style with a twist. That's what I liked about them, you can change them without having to redo the bands or yarn.

Here's a great video on button braiding (not easiplait): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq2aWYcn00I

I'd say it's worth it to watch this video and practice a few times, and then hopefully you'll feel better about just doing the button braiding. I think that would probably be better than having any Easiplait weirdness go on (like above, where they fell out, and/or looked funky).

You really can't go wrong with classic button braids, and I think it is just a practice-makes-perfect scenario.