The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone in Canada?

I want to purchase something special for a trainer who is moving, and who has helped a ton of kids over the years. What I want to get her is on ebay and cannot be shipped by the seller to the US due to the embargo (which I am not knowledgeable about). Is there any way to get it shipped to someone in Canada who I can then pay postage to, and get it shipped, or does the embargo mean nobody can ship out of Canada.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

What embargo? I buy stuff from Canada all the time and they ship here. Is it the item you are wanting to buy is perhaps prohibited from being shipped to the US?

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

It is a small antique rug and I too am confused as to why the seller wont ship to the states. So I was hoping there was a way around it, maybe, by shipping it to someone in Canada who then in turn ships it to me. But I have no idea if this would be legal.
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Embargo?

I'm from Canada and I've bought few things on ebay from the US.

ETA : Not sure I would buy from someone who think there is an embargo on rugs between Canada and US.
    Last edited by alibi_18; Jan. 25, 2012 at 01:31 PM.

No embargo that I'm aware of I've done the opposite a few times -- ordered from the states and shipped it to someone there who then sent it on to me in Canada. Some retailers (Smartpak! Curse them and their outrageously reasonable prices!) won't ship to Canada, and this is how I've solved the problem.

A lot of ebay sellers just don't like to do international shipping, because it is a pain. It's certainly not illegal to have it shipped to a third party who then ships it on to you. Just make sure the seller is paid for the item, and you're good to go!

Run Away.

Try Etsy.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Embargo? Not unless you are trying to ship her some soft wood lumber!

Are you in the US and trying to get something from Cuba? Or is the rug made from some substance that can't be shipped across borders in general? I know that's a stretch but there are some things that can't be imported due to infestation concerns (plants) or international bans (ivory). A rug seem innocuous though.

There is indeed an embargo that prevents Iranian made rugs being imported into the US. This would include Persian rugs.

It has had a big effect on the Persian rug industry.

Edited to add: this would include someone sending it from Canada for you. Only rugs already in the US can be sold/traded within America.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mare View Post
    What embargo? I buy stuff from Canada all the time and they ship here. Is it the item you are wanting to buy is perhaps prohibited from being shipped to the US?

Eileen
    Just wondering what you buy in Canada to ship to the US? Everything is more expensive here! I buy from US suppliers all the time to save a bundle (I live in a boarder town so I can drive over to pick it up).
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    There is indeed an embargo that prevents Iranian made rugs being imported into the US. This would include Persian rugs.

It has had a big effect on the Persian rug industry.

Edited to add: this would include someone sending it from Canada for you. Only rugs already in the US can be sold/traded within America.
    Ok, that makes more sense!

Yep, I read up on it today. Looks like I won't be taking advantage of that great deal. BUT there are rugs available here that "have been here" since before the embargo and are legal to sell
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    Just wondering what you buy in Canada to ship to the US? Everything is more expensive here! I buy from US suppliers all the time to save a bundle (I live in a boarder town so I can drive over to pick it up).
    Beads for my browbands. I prefer to use gemstones, D grade or better, no dye, natural only. IF I can get them. Sometimes I can't and have to use dyed stuff. The dyed stuff looks okay and means I can charge less, but I'd rather the good stuff.

There is an eBay seller in Canada that sells really nice lapis lazuli in odd shapes (rice, ovals, columns, tear drops) at a decent price. Only wish I could get squares from them.

Otherwise, I buy from some sites in the US, but they usually only have rounds and are more expensive in the long run.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com