The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tell me about Charmeur!

Has anyone here used Charmeur yet?

I loooove him and by all reports I've heard the foals are really nice so far. Wondering if anyone has personal experience with the frozen semen and what any resulting foals have been like, what mares etc.

I love the idea of buying him for my R/D mare, she is super correct, amazing temperament, nice in all three paces though could improve the walk, and is a bit heavy/old fashioned I suppose.

Any experiences most welcome!

We did not get a pregnancy, but I am aware of at least one success.

Charmeur has good gaits and I like his bloodlines.... His head is enormous and I would only breed him to mares with very nice/small heads.

The frozen semen that was sent to the US is so-so according to reports.

Good luck!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

He is more on the heavy side, "noble" head, a tad hot, and very uphill. Strong damline. Don't know about semen, but I am getting 3 doses to replace my useless Bretton Woods semen from last year. Because BW was sold, they could only offer semen from another stallion. Fortunately Charmeur was in the plans but not liking what Siegi said about it being so-so. Arg!

I am going to try to breed fresh to him in Germany this year to the same mare that had the really lovely Furstenball filly for me. The mare has a good head. Fabulous stallion, but as Siegi said, he has a quite old fashioned head.

However, for my taste, he is the most functional and super moving young stallion I have seen in quite a while - although he is quite spooky.

I will take a chance. Assuming the breeding works, Jazz will be three generations back each side in the foal. If I get the quality I might get, I won't mind putting up with a bit of extra oomph in the offspring. You need hot horses as long as they work with you to get to GP.

Ack, the head thing worries me then. My mare is lovely, but she has a more 'old fashioned' head herself. For me, don't really care, you can't ride the head, but if I sold the foal I suppose being a bit on the plainer side would detract ... though it doesn't make a write off.

Semen quality also a question ... ugh ... I do really like him though. Hotness doensn't worry me, as my mare is divine. To me Charmeur looks like a serious horse for the future, not just a flashy young one ...

Quote Originally Posted by madamlb View Post
    Ack, the head thing worries me then. My mare is lovely, but she has a more 'old fashioned' head herself.
    Scot Tolman saw Charmeur in person and wrote a blurb on his blog: http://www.shootingstarfarm.com/journal.html
    (scroll down to Feb 23, 2011)
    Even though I read it almost a year ago, I remembered it specifically because of how he described the stallion's head!
    Hope that helps

We bred to Charmeur this year...one insemination of a single dose and we flushed a viable embryo a week later. The pregnancy is almost 30 days in the recipient mare. The semen was 60-70% motile and looked as good as fresh according to our vet.