The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default saddle fitter woes

I unfortunately live in an area where saddle fitters are scarce.. Ive contacted a company that frequents our dressage shows and has a saddle fitter but I have been unable to get a hold of them. I just bought a new saddle and it fits great jus think it may be a tad bit to narrow but I am not really sure. Id like to get a fitter or have someone look at it asap before it does cause a problem if it is to narrow. I think we can take a lil wool out and itd fit perfect. Ive watched lots of saddle fitting videos and have a good idea what to look for. so my question is can i take a tracing of my horse and send my saddle somewhere and have them adjust it accordingly? He is going for training at the end of the month so I figured the best time to get the saddle fitted would be while he is gone and i wont need it.

Yes, there are saddle fitters who work from photos and tracings.

Sue Schurer is one I've worked with and I try to get my wool from her, as she has the best quality wool I've come across. http://www.schurersaddlefit.com/

I think Kate at Dutchess Bridle & Saddle also does work from tracings and pictures.
    http://www.dutchessbridlesaddle.com/

As for wanting to send the saddle off when the horse goes away for training, I'd recommend waiting until 2 weeks before the horse comes home from training to check the fit again before sending it off, because I've seen horse backs change drastically when actual work starts. Going up or down entire tree sizes, such as from Medium to Wide and Wide to Medium wide.

Thanks so much for the info! He has been in regular work he is just going to the trainer for a tune up. I imagine things could change a bit so I will take that into consideration. Thanks again!