The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Post Consuming Regumate? (Accidentally)

The mare I ride gets it in her grain. I didn't remember, and scooped up a tiny bit and wanted to try the grain. It gets spread around and most likely sinks to the bottom, so I barely consumed any. I realized what it was when it tasted kind of funky.

What will happen? I'm a bit worried...
    Last edited by sj2012js; Jan. 30, 2012 at 05:52 PM.

You will deliver a foal in 11 months one week. Just kidding obviously but I have a hard time believing you regularly consume your mare's grain. Assuming you really did you should be prepared for some some seriously messed up cycles for the next few months.

Well I don't eat it regularly... I didn't mean that... but I've tried it before. But that's it? Thanks...

What Laurierace said.
    The stuff gets absorbed through the skin, too, minimal exposure can cause a lot of trouble.

if in doubt, go see a doctor!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

See a doctor, resist the urge to eat horse grain LOL!

A thought, take the box or label with you that has the ingredients in it so the doctors know what drugs they are dealing with.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I have heard it can alter your cycles for as long as a year with just a skin splash. No idea about actual ingestion. I would contact the Dr but I doubt there is anything that you can do but wait for things to go back to normal. I would ask about birth control problems if that is a potential issue.

If you call poison control, they will tell you what to expect. They are great, and always very nice.

Our vet leaves the elbow length plastic gloves for the people who give it to their horses to avoid accidental exposure since it can be absorbed through the skin. When one woman was pregnant, he would not let her administer it at all, even with gloves. He did not say what particular risk he was worried about.

Maybe bring a Granola barn to the barn next time?

Call your Dr.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

I think there was a thread back a while about it - you might find it hopefully in the search function!
    Just wanted to say ditto on the see your doctor - a previous friend had the absolutely-must-wear-gloves speech from the vet, and was advised to let a male employee handle it instead.
    I'd also think using back-up birth control until you know where you're at would be a good idea. Apparently the stuff is VERY potent!

From their website:
    HUMAN WARNINGS: Skin contact must be avoided as Regu-Mate® (altrenogest) Solution 0.22% is readily absorbed through unbroken skin. Protective gloves must be worn by all persons handling this product. Pregnant women or women who suspect they are pregnant should not handle Regu-Mate® (altrenogest) Solution 0.22%. Women of child bearing age should exercise extreme caution when handling this product. Accidental absorption could lead to a disruption of the menstrual cycle or prolongation of pregnancy. Direct contact with the skin should therefore be avoided. Accidental spillage on the skin should be washed off immediately with soap and water.

INFORMATION FOR HANDLERS:
    WARNING: Regu-Mate® (altrenogest) Solution 0.22% is readily absorbed by the skin. Skin contact must be avoided; protective gloves must be worn when handling this product.

Effects of Overexposure: There has been no human use of this specific product. The information contained in this section is extrapolated from data available on other products of the same pharmacological class that have been used in humans. Effects anticipated are due to the progestational activity of altrenogest. Acute effects after a single exposure are possible; however, continued daily exposure has the potential for more untoward effects such as disruption of the menstrual cycle, uterine or abdominal cramping, increased or decreased uterine bleeding, prolongation of pregnancy and headaches. The oil base may also cause complications if swallowed. In addition, the list of people who should not handle this product (see below) is based upon the known effects of progestins used in humans on a chronic basis.

Good luck!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

When I fed mares that got regumate (I got really tired of broken gloves so stopped using them) I could always tell when I got sloppy and got it on my skin. So could everyone I worked with because I turned into bitch royale for about 3 hours. Then I got a headache. Never did mess with my cycle. I *DO NOT* recommend my casual attitude towards it though. Especially if you are pregnant, sexually active, or ever want kids (I was neither). Had I ingested it, I would have called a Dr....
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Another vote to call your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    Maybe bring a Granola barn to the barn next time?
    I think this is great advice too.

When I hear people like to eat horse grain, I like to kindly point out what sort of pests we try to keep out of horse grain...I think someone has a thread on here today about a rat jumping out of the feed bin... YUCK!!!!

We always made the men handle regumate, and honestly we switched most mares to depo to avoid this... I know some people swear by the regumate rather than the depo, but from a handling standpoint and personal health, I prefer the depo

I knew someone that got a tiny bit on her hand, and it made her really sick for about a week. Severe, severe cramping, almost to the point of being bed ridden. I guess everyone will have different reactions in terms of severity, but it only took a drop for her to have that reaction.

Default Another vote

For call the doctor and I would say your GYN. I took care of a friends mare that was on it and tasted it because I was adding it to the grain. I know my cycles were way off but I never attributed it to that incident. It wasn't until a year or two later when I saw her glove up to feed and asked why did I learn my mistake.

Unlikely you ingested a big amount, but you probably got some of it.

It acts like birth control. It is a form of progesterone. It's not dangerous, unless you're pregnant or actively taking fertility hormones in an effort to get pregnant. In these cases you need to speak to your doctor ASAP.

Otherwise, most birth control pills contains progestins mixed with estrogen, some without estrogen entirely. The Progestin only formulations mimic pregnancy and thus tend to stop your menstrual cycle in most women, but not in all women. Therefore, some women can have morning sickness symptoms (which will pass), some get really moody, some feel nothing at all. It's rare, but some women get painful cramps - usually progestin-only formulations are prescribed to women who already have severely painful menstrual cramps because it generally relieves cramping and erratic cycles. Regumate is rather oily, which is why it absorbs through the skin (or mucus membranes) fairly easily and it tends to stop ovulation thus prolonging your luteal phase. If you're not trying to get pregnant, it's not really a huge big deal, but you can still have a chat with your doctor about it if you're really worried.

The reason why Regumate concentrations are more of a concern for women is because of the strength of the concentration. It's formulated for a 1300 pound animal and women are only 100-150 or so pounds usually, give or take. You only need to feed a tablespoon for a 1300-1500 pound animal (1 mL per 50 kg (110 pounds), therefore 15 mL per 1500 pound animal. 15 mL is 1 tablespoon), so a dose that would affect humans is as small as only 1 mL.

5 mL is 1 teaspoon.

Therefore, 1 mL is 1/5 teaspoon. Barely a drop's worth.

So that should give you the information you need to determine whether a chat with your doctor is in order. Bring the product label package insert for your MD to read.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!