The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thorowgood Broadback Dressage Saddle -thoughts?

http://www.doversaddlery.com/t4-dres...6/#ProductTabs

I had a Wintec 500 that I ultimately sold because it didn't fit me or my horse. For me the flaps were not long enough, and I bought a 17.5 which, in hindsight, was not my size.

For Fella the V shaped tree may not be for him. I've been having a great conversation with Trumbull mountain and the rep recommended it as an interim saddle until I can afford the real thing.

Any experiences with this saddle on this forum?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I had one for a bit, also as an "interim" saddle. The U shaped tree is nice for wide shouldered, low withered horses. It fit my Arab nicely, and was reasonably well balanced.

In my opinion they seem to run a bit small in the seat size. I'm normally an 18" seat in a dressage saddle, and frankly the Thorowgood 18" (largest size available, I think) felt a bit tight for me. I'm not particularly big - 5'6", and 160lbs, 30" inseam, so I was surprised it was such a tight fit for me.

I thought it was a good saddle for the money, but not the right saddle for me long-term.

That's interesting to know about the saddle size. How about the flap length? The Wintec's flap length was not enough for me.

Paula

I'm 5'2" and don't have any problems with the flap length in my 17.5". I'd agree the seats probably run a bit small because it fits me great at 125 lbs. My trainer seems to fit in it ok and she's significantly taller (but also very slender). We just have to use completely different stirrup leathers .

I have the Thorowgood (leather) version. I love it for my 15 h Arab. For my horse, the Wintecs were just too flat front-to-back. He's very flat/broad across, but has a decent amount of slope front to back. He also had a bit of a swayed back when we started getting in shape, and I was worried that the broadback would have a similar problem, but it fits him great and hasn't had problems as he's gained muscle and lost the swayback. We're currently in a W tree, but I expect by this summer we'll be close to or in the XW.

I'm a short little thing (5'2") and have a Thorowgood and love it - but if you had problems with the Wintec flaps being short, I don't think the Thorowgood is going to be any better for you.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Paula

I got one as an interim saddle for my horse as well, unfortunately, its not a great fit (he really does need a true hoop tree).

For me, I don't really feel comfortable in it either...I'm 5'8" with an average leg length, so I rarely have problems with flap length, can't comment on that. The twist is pretty wide, and I'm definitely more comfortable with a narrow twist. Also, the saddle feels like it constantly throws me back on my butt. Of course, the later could have something to do with how it fits my horse as well. I really wish this saddle did work for us, but not to be.

I had one for my VERY wide morgan and it never fit him very well. Like Fixating, my guy needs a true hoop tree and the broadback, while U-shaped isn't a true hoop. I'm 5' 8-1/2" with long legs and I didn't mind the flap length, but I never did feel very comfortable or stable in the saddle. On the plus side, it was well made, easy to clean and if it fits your horse, I think its a good interim saddle.

Paula
    The flaps are just a bit longer than the wintec, not a lot tho. The Tekna has much longer flaps, you might want to look at that if flap length is important. I have ridden in the standard tree (loved it) and hi wither tree (hate it), have not ridden in broadback. BUT I hear that the twist is VERY wide on the broadback. They are great saddles when they fit right. Very well made. If you were to post a pic of your wither tracing we could advise whether you need a true hoop tree or a wider standard tree might work. Also does Fella have much scoop to his back, cause the Thorowgoods are pretty flat front to back, but the Tekna are more of a scoop tree.

Sigh, right now Fella's just ...fat partly because his human doesn't like riding in the cold, and partly because we found out he was pushing one of his paddock subordinates out of his weight gainer meal So you take a draft cross with strong air fern tendencies, give him extra grain, oil, and weight gainer, don't work him and you get...http://www.flickr.com/photos/52967336@N00/6407076505/

I was advised to get him down some before doing good whither tracing. I did one a bit ago and had to draw it on the paper diagonally

Paula

ok, you might be able to do the standard tree thorowgood with an xwide gullet (they are really wide). He's just a growing boy!

Bless your heart Growing sideways! It might have been my imagination, but I thought I saw some whither the other day

My trainer has an extra wide CC saddle they were using to train Galant the giant Percheron (was a PMU baby -now looks like a Fresian on steroids). That might work for now and give me a better idea of what we need tree wise.

Paula