The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rolkur/LDR interfering with air?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...11.00492.x/pdf

Amazing!

With all the discussions held on these frames, no one appears to be reading this 'scientific' study and commenting.
    Myself and others are wondering why because if we really care about the welfare of our horses, air should be at the top of the list.

I got "page not found" when I clicked on the link.

Same here. 'Page not found'

I was able to read the article by going through Barnmice, Allan has a blog on in and that link up still works fine. Right now this blog is at the top of Barnmice's Featured Blog list right at the top.
    I read the article for a second time. Fortunately for the horses I ride I do not try and flex their necks and polls and everytime a horse tells me he-she needs more rein I cheerfully let them take rein and put their heads where they want them, but then I do not ride or compete in dressage or 3-Day events.
    Both times I read the article my first impression was that people are using the "poll flexions" (the picture had the horse with the 3rd or 4th cervical vertebrae at the top, not the poll, but oh so NORMAL in today's dressage competition) to partially strangulate their horses (note I said partially).
    I hope this study gets repeated several times, I do think we need more data to convince everyone. I'm convinced, but then I do not ride dressage so I have no skin in the game.

To me, the factor the rider should use to decide about implementing rollkur/LDR is not just whether you're "strangling the horse", but the entirety of the technique. The mental trauma for the horse when rollkur/LDR is used should be enough for anyone to pass it by. A horse cannot see anything but the ground below its nose when overflexed, which may be why some use it to make the horse rely completely upon the rider. Any self-respecting horse would be horrified by being unable to see where it's going, making the mental torment as bad as the physical torment.

I wish everyone could recognize that main factor, but if it takes reports on how rollkur/LDR partially strangles the horse, I'm all for it.