The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by good booie View Post
    IF you even know me. You should be ashamed in your thoughts that I just lost my horse this past Semptember. A horse I brought along from the time he was 2. So f u. live your life in your shell of shame.
    I am sorry but who the heck are you talking to? No one on this thread has said anything other than what they do with their horse's manes (and YES some people use Nair). I have never seen such a bizarre response to such a normal thread.

Ummm.... not sure what planet the weirdo posts are coming from so I'll just keep calm and carry on..... I have an important PSA:

re: NAIR: for the love of all that is holy DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! I tried this last summer on the Mare with Two Manes and it was a disaster of epic proportions. Roach it, half-roach it, but do not unleash that evil potion on your innocent horse..... or "you'll be sooo--rryyyyy".....

As with anything, it is always good to do a small test area first. As stated previously, I have used Nair on my horse with no adverse reaction. YMMV

it wasn't an adverse reaction -- certainly didn't seem to bother her in any way. I was actually pleased as punch just after I did it..... then it started to grow in.......... GAH!! It looked horrible!!

(There's a reason why I never became an esthetician...)

Default Another Option

I also have a mare with a super thick mane!!!! And I emphasize "super thick!" This mare is such a solid citizen and nothing bothers her... with the one and only exception of her mane being pulled. It's a battle I have decided not to pick, as I truly believe she really finds it uncomfy and it's not a 'behavior' issue. So, I use my clippers!!! In one hand I have my mane brush (aka my old hair brush) and I brush her mane down and then I start using the clippers to trim the bottom, I do this very slowly and take off only a little bit at a time. But by doing little sections at a time and brushing as I go, I find that it looks more natural. I also try to use the clippers at slightly different angles each time, again to get as much of a natural look as possible.

I then take thinning scissors (the kind that look like one of the sides has teeth) and I cut parallel to her crest about half way between her crest and the bottom of her mane, and then I cut a couple diagonal lines in different directions... just to give it a more natural look. I find this works great for her and me - it keeps the mane at a manageable length for me, without causing her any irritation, and it's thin (enough).

Not only does she have a super thick mane, but it's also unruly (haha)... so before each ride, I use a little hair spray on her mane as I brushing it, and I have found this really keeps her mane on one side, so I can see her neck better (I've tried training braids, and they haven't worked at all).

Good Luck!!!!

I am a very vocal anti mane puller - no mane pulling in my house (barn). I think it is cruel and I certainly wouldn't want someone pulling the hair out of my head.

My horse has a almost two inch thick mane in the middle - I have no problem doing braids. I use both elastics and thread. I will admit that having quality elastics makes a difference. I double them up as well -

Here is a pic of his mane braided.

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/i...rom/braids.jpg

Good ideas. thanks! I think I will steer clear of Nair, and just for the whole growing in thing.

So, what I will do first is do a trial braiding session with her and see what I really have to deal with and go from there.

Piedmont, your post made me laugh! What kind of horse is she?
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

I didn't see where anyone mentioned this...

What I do is follow all the steps for regular pulling - except the last one where you rip the hair out. Instead, I use a pair of scissors and cut. Never super short, and obviously no longer than I want the end result to be (honestly, I try to stay within about an inch of the desired length). I trim relatively small chunks and cut at an angle.

Swear to Jebus it turns out essentially the same, and this is coming from someone that braids professionally. If you run across sections that are unevenly thick, you can pull out a few chunks here and there, but honestly? I'll take a too-thick mane over a too-thin one, anyday (to braid).
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I didn't see where anyone mentioned this...

What I do is follow all the steps for regular pulling - except the last one where you rip the hair out. Instead, I use a pair of scissors and cut. Never super short, and obviously no longer than I want the end result to be (honestly, I try to stay within about an inch of the desired length). I trim relatively small chunks and cut at an angle.

Swear to Jebus it turns out essentially the same, and this is coming from someone that braids professionally. If you run across sections that are unevenly thick, you can pull out a few chunks here and there, but honestly? I'll take a too-thick mane over a too-thin one, anyday (to braid).
    I have also done this on my horses, I find it looks the same AND the mane lays down better than when pulled. I don't have a hunter anymore and my jumper looks better with a longer cut straight across mane so I don't use this method anymore but it worked well when I did.

So cut straight across is not an abomanation?? My last horse started as a hunter so I always kept him pulled and tidy mostly because that's how he looked best but the new mare is different. I just want her to look tidy and it goes against my hunter ways not to pull but I sold my close contact saddle long ago..
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Something I just heard about, but have not seen, is french braids. Plural french braids; one on each side of the neck.

Though confused by the personal outbursts - I do understand if someone jumps to the conclusion Nair is not a real answer - it does sound odd but I suggest if you think someone is trolling and messing with the integrity of COTH, shoot a note to the moderators first.

As for NAIR - I may get some and try a few spots on a horse that has a thick mane. Where do you apply it - randomly or on the side the mane lays down or on the side it doesnt?

THAT asked: I will say that we have a bunch of horses in the barn - I own 5 but have a bunch of teens who show dressage - 2 seriously. If the mane is heavy and thick and the horse's crest is cresty - ie thick - sometimes pulling it or NAIR I would think - may leave it looking baldy. We have two like this. The first horse we tried: cutting, thinning shears, pulling, roaching. UGLY all the way around. SO we let it grow out and long and we french braid it. The other horse the girl bought after watching the mane drama with the other horse over a course of 5-6 years and decided to go STRAIGHT to leaving it long and french braiding it. Recognized shows have not seemed to care even though she is not a typical long-mane breed. She looks very tidy and neat.

I prefer the look of a lovely neat braid - and I think the biggest key is uniformity so I think if you have thick braids but they are neat and lay down - the key then is making sure they are the same all the way down the crest. That may be acceptable. So maybe you just need to pull PARTS of it and not make the whole thing thin.

The mare in question is a tri colored Dutch/Paint Tobiano. wow, that is a mouthful. so we won't be seeing any french anything on her. lol. she has enough going on without bringing french braiding into it. haha

Heading to the barn shortly and will get some pics. why not? Everyone likes to critique right?

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

So cut straight across is not an abomanation?? My last horse started as a hunter so I always kept him pulled and tidy mostly because that's how he looked best but the new mare is different. I just want her to look tidy and it goes against my hunter ways not to pull but I sold my close contact saddle long ago..
    It kind of depends... with her being a pinto, she may end up looking breed circuit-y.

TOBIANO! haha not Pinto! She is half Dutch and would never be mistaken for a "paint" She is a solid 16.1 and built like a warmblood. Her sire was a 16.2 Paint by the name of Garner's Bid. He was a eventer/hunter sire. ok, off to the barn to proceed with Project Mane!

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

TOBIANO! haha not Pinto! She is half Dutch and would never be mistaken for a "paint" She is a solid 16.1 and built like a warmblood. Her sire was a 16.2 Paint by the name of Garner's Bid. He was a eventer/hunter sire. ok, off to the barn to proceed with Project Mane!
    Tobiano is one of the coat patterns of a pinto (colored) horse. Paint is a breed. If she's a tobiano, she's a pinto. She can't be a tobiano and NOT be a pinto, however, she can be a tobiano (pinto) and NOT be of Paint breeding. If her sire was an APHA registered Paint, then she is half "paint", but could not be APHA registered (other parent must be TB or QH). If she's colored, that would make her a pinto, regardless of breed.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraNSpeedy View Post
    ...As for NAIR - I may get some and try a few spots on a horse that has a thick mane. Where do you apply it - randomly or on the side the mane lays down or on the side it doesnt? ...
    Get an old, or new, hair color bottle or something that has a relatively small tip. Put the Nair in the bottle. I applied it in a pseudo-random pattern on the underside of the mane. I think the key is to apply it in small dots, as near to the roots as possible. Wait 10 minutes and wash it out. My horse's mane grew out fine.

One trick to minimize the drama associated with pulling is to wrap the hair around the pulling comb as usual, but don't pull it out; sort of hang on it applying pressure and it will eventually release on its own. It takes longer than just pulling it out, but my horse at least seems OK with it.

As far as pulling being unbearably painful, I had one horse that would nap when I did his mane.
    Last edited by atlatl; Jan. 25, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Just cut the darn thing. It's not sacred unicorn tresses -- if you don't like it, it grows back and you try again.

My rescue mare LOVES having her mane pulled. I don't think she'd been handled much (including not to help her with the massive injury which left her crippled) before she was pulled off a meat truck.

As she was acclimating to being at a boarding facility where horses were out working, I used mane pulling to settle her any time she would get too nervous. Her eyes would kind of glaze over and she'd lean into it.

I prefer not to think what her hobbies would be if she were human.

The half Friesian HATES having her mane pulled. She is very sensitive even if I accidentally pull on her forelock as I'm putting on the bridle. There is no way I would pull her mane, and trying to keep it combed out when she reacts to THAT is a nightmare. So I cut it. Luckily she doesn't have as much hair as many Friesian crosses I've seen, and her mane is acceptably under control cut short.

I cut to length with regular scissors, then use thinning shears nearly perpendicular to the crest to make the ends a bit less uneven/bowl-cut. I think someone else may have been saying the same thing in an earlier post, but I didn't quite understand well enough to be sure.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Default HEINZ 57

"Tobiano is one of the coat patterns of a pinto (colored) horse. Paint is a breed. If she's a tobiano, she's a pinto. She can't be a tobiano and NOT be a pinto, however, she can be a tobiano (pinto) and NOT be of Paint breeding. If her sire was an APHA registered Paint, then she is half "paint", but could not be APHA registered (other parent must be TB or QH). If she's colored, that would make her a pinto, regardless of breed. "

Honestly, I haven't a clue, obviously. Never have owned a horse of multiple colors. She is all brown except for a dorsal white stripe and four high whites and a star. Mane is black except where the dorsal white is. Tail black as well. Whatever she is she is lovely and I am thrilled to have her.

Thanks atlatl for posting the how to on the Nair. I can see how it works now.

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand