The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What to do with thick mane. Pull or cut?

My mare has a gorgeous thick mane and I have cut it. It lays perfectly and is the perfect texture. think Cher. I have always been a puller but feel I would be opening a can of worms if I start on hers and not to mention it would take a good amount of time.

What to do? Thin with cheater comb? Leave alone? Help fellow DQ's!!!
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

I'm generally a believer in less is more...as in less fussing to change things from the way they are. My mare also has a thick mane. I just suck it up and braid as is; she HATES pulling. I tinker w/ the length, as needed with scissors...

Thinner comb might be tempting, but I'd like to borrow one to try it rather than just go buy one.

THank goodness I dont do hunters where they want 50 tiny tidy braids...

Thinning shears....
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

I have one with at least three manes. I pull. I do it frequently to keep up. I have used a solo comb to thin, but I like old fashion pulling best. He is not in love with it but we get it done. It braids up well.

We roach in the spring/summer, let grow in winter. She looks fabulous with a roach. (her crest is 1 1/2 " wide!)
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

Even better than using thinning shears is let the mane get good and dirty and nasty in a little bit tangled then using a Matt comb for dogs brush the mane. It winds up looking a lot more natural than when using thinning shears and a monkey can do it
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    I have one with at least three manes. I pull. I do it frequently to keep up. I have used a solo comb to thin, but I like old fashion pulling best. He is not in love with it but we get it done. It braids up well.

Mine wasn't "in love" with it either and one day she really showed me - pulled back HARD, broke halter, hit me it the face with her face and sent me a-- over teakettle off the stepladder. That was the last time I pulled

My 2nd guy was an angel for everything but mane-pulling, so I cheated and used thinning scissors, and...dare I say it???.....small clippers on the underside of the mane. Very carefully. After getting busted when I stupidly admitted it the 1st tme, I learned to work stealthily and deny the use of any electronics. It looked fine and braids were just beautiful, especially when done by someone other than me.

Default WOW `` WHAT AN IDEA !

WOW ``` WHAT AN IDEA !

NOW ALL I NEED IS A MONKEY

PERHAPS ON THE GIVEAWAYS FORUM
    Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Even better than using thinning shears is let the mane get good and dirty and nasty in a little bit tangled then using a Matt comb for dogs brush the mane. It winds up looking a lot more natural than when using thinning shears and a monkey can do it
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

NAIR!!!! and then cut to desired length

Default Nair?

ahahahahaha! would you put Nair on your head? or neck?
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club! RIP my dear Avery ~3/21/1995-9/21/2011~

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

I cut my jumper's mane. It lies better and looks better! Unfortunately I went away for a week and my trainer's helper decided to pull it without my permission!! Now it looks horrible and is taking FOREVER to grow back in thick. I just trimmed it with scissors as it was getting long (I keep it at about 6 inches long or so), but the pulled stuff that's growing out is now flipping his mane over!! Wah!
    I also like the thickness and length for big fat button braids.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearskin View Post
    NAIR!!!! and then cut to desired length
    Another believer in the Nair system. It got my horse's mane under control to the point that now I can maintain it with pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by good booie View Post
    ahahahahaha! would you put Nair on your head? or neck?
    If it makes you feel any better I used the bikini Nair. It is for an area that I believe to be more sensitive than my horse's neck.

not sure were you little trolls come from. no need. others who i ask will respond.

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

Wink

I never pull my mares' manes, they hate it. Just cut across to the length I want, then use the scissors to cut WITH the hair to make it took more natural. Just like at the hair salon. And my Lusitano mare--who has the thickest hair--gets a French braided mane: it can't get any easier than that. It only takes ten mins right before a test and she's done. I wish I could French braid my CWB's mane. Maybe I could start a new trend.

No, really, bikini Nair has been on these threads for ages. What I can't say is how many people have actually tried it...or just talk about it!

Apparently, you put it into one of those hairdresser's bottle with the little pointy tip and put little dabs all along the underside of the mane - being aware that too much will leave a hole - await 10 minutes and rinse out.

Just an apology for harsh reactions. Yes, i was having a bad night regarding the loss of my horse. If you have had one die you know some days are better than others. Carry on. Still not sure if Nair is a real option..lol
    Last edited by good booie; Jan. 25, 2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: off meds

Extreme Cat!!! 2006 OTTB
    Magic Cat - Final Demand

not sure were you little trolls come from. no need. others who i ask will respond.
    IF you even know me. You should be ashamed in your thoughts that I just lost my horse this past Semptember. A horse I brought along from the time he was 2. So f u. live your life in your shell of shame.
    Umm, do you have any house guests perchance? Or are you just off your meds? Truly strange postings OP.
    Rebel Without Cash!

If you do not believe these posts about Nair, do a search. Your little temper tantrum is really out of place. Sorry about your loss, but nobody is making fun of you or being a troll.
    Do your own research then...