The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I must be insane

As if it's not stressful enough to be on foalwatch this April, I'm also due with my second child. The irony of it all? We both have the same due date! Fortunately, I have a husband who is more than capable of helping the mare and several friends who have offered to keep an eye on my mare if I might be at the hospital delivering my own baby! Funny enough, I'm far more concerned about my mare going through this than I am for myself! There are certainly lots of good jokes going around and plenty of people wanting to take pictures of both of us together in our final month (I guess that's one way to make me feel not so big!). What are the chances that both of us have such "good" timing to deliver on our due dates?

Welcome to my world! My mare and I didn't have the same due date, but last year I had twins in February and she had a filly in June. Actually, we were both pregnant with twins for about two weeks, until the first preg check when the vet pinched one. I was on foal watch with two infants and at the ripe old age of four months my kids attended their first foaling. It will all be fine, especially since you have good friends to help you out.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

LOL I'm due August and my mare is due in June! I can just picture me waddling around trying to 'help' her have her foal. And the trip to the vet to inseminate with mom (who isn't an awesome loader) and baby.. and fat me..
    ugh!!!

Again, thankful I'll have lots of helpers!!

I know exactly how you feel! I had one foal last year, and it was born on June 4th. I had my second daughter on June 28th! I was so thankful that she foaled before I had the baby, b/c I really wanted to be there. I remember feeling huge as I was helping the mare foal, but all went fine and both babies did great
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Wow Hansiska, two babies and a foal, that's crazy.

I had two foals in Feb and one in April then my daughter in May. The funniest day was when I went to blanket the mare that foaled in April and got stuck. She's short with a huge belly, I was short with a huge belly. Thankfully the mare is super kind and my SO was there to help me up.

Good luck OP, glad you've got lots of help. Imagine the looks you'd get in the delivery room if you told the nurses your husband couldn't be there because he was busy foaling out your mare, lol.

I've been saying all along that I'm not going to the hospital if she's having her foal. I've atleast been through it before! Glad to hear that others have been there and done ok. Just wish I had a little bigger window between our due dates - can't believe they are exactly the same day. Not sure if it's better or worse for it to happen while I'm pregnant or caring for an infant but I really want to be here. I've been around for a few foalings but this is the first time I've done it with my own mare and at my own farm.
    You'd think this experience would help me come up with a good name (for the foal, not my son....that one I'm working on too!)

I did not have the same due date as my mare but, I had my son on march 31 at 8h04 am and one of my mare had her filly at around 6h45 am, I will always remember the birth date of that filly

I was in your position last year.

I had a foal born on May 15th, I gave birth on May 27th and my other mare foaled June 4th!

I was there and helped and did foalwatch (with the help of my SO) for both mares. My June 4th one was a red bag to boot!

Good times... This year, one foal and no baby on the way for me... It'll be a breeze.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Default HOW SIMPLY GREAT ```` HOPE YOU BOTH DELIVER THE SAME DAY !

HOW MUCH FUN!!!

I HOPE YOU BOTH DELIVER THE SAME DAY !!!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Well, look at it this way....if you foal first you will be up all night with the baby anyway...this will at least give you something to do! LOL

GOOD LUCK!
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

How exciting!!! Best of luck with both "foalings"!!

I had my 2nd child via emergency c-section (6 1/2 weeks early) and then help pull my foal out 12 days later...she was on time I was early...my other mare foaled 2 days before my actual due date...fun times!! My son "missed" the first foaling as he was in the nicu for 5 weeks...but he made it to the second one!!

Haha! I just had my son, my first, in November and my maiden mare is due in the very beginning of April. I used to make comments that "the four of us" were going for a ride every time I got on her-not often and we just moseyed for both our sakes! GL!

Default UPDATE

Well, my mare is still waiting in spite of showing signs for over a week but I had my son on Saturday. I hoped and prayed she'd wait and had some very good friends keeping close tabs on her while I was away. Now I've been home for 2 days and have told her she can have her foal. Today is her official due date and she's miserable!

Foal Name: Double Delivery

Son Name: Something with d's

Just a thought.

Default Congratulations on your new 'baby boy'

CONGRATULATIONS on your new 'baby boy" ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by OverandOnward View Post
    Foal Name: Double Delivery

Son Name: Something with d's

Just a thought.
    Well, the son is already named but I've been trying to come up with a clever name for the foal! Any other suggestions? Sire is Salute the Truth. Dam is Piccolo's Dance (by Parabol). There has to be good way to pay homage to the occassion (if this 4-legged baby ever arrives!)

Congratulations!! And good luck for a safe foaling for your "other" Momma!!

Congratulations on the birth of your son and goodvibes for the speedy and safe delivery of your foal.

Congratulations on your son and best of luck with the four legged baby.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net