The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spring Hill Farm Auction

Went to the auction on the 21st, was curious as to what was being auctioned off and was impressed by a few of the items, more amazed at what people will pay for things you could buy new of the same item, but in a store, and cheaper than the auction. I tried to bid on a few of the smaller things that were horse related, but, I had a limit as to what I wanted or could pay. Then an item went up that caught my eye....

Much to my husbands chagrin, I came away with a gorgeous Bushmaster Australian stock saddle, all leather, padded seat, beautiful scroll work, brass irons, as well as wonderful scrolled brass on the cantle and back of saddle. I have ridden in a stock saddle a few times, love the feel but as for what all the "bells and whistles" are, I need a good web site to know what they are used for.

One thing I did come away with that has history, are 25 brass name tags from the halters of his horses he bred at Spring Hill. I have looked up a few and am amazed at the stud price of them, but wow, he sure knew good TB and bred quality!
    "Promise me you'll always remember: your braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." By Christopher Robins to Pooh

Congrats. I love my Aussie saddle for trail riding and I always start my horses in them. Keeps me safe and secure plus, in my area, no one wants them so they're cheap should a young horse go over on it. I think I paid $125 for mine.

Thanks Snowflake! I paid a wee bit more for this one...not sure how much it is really worth, beautiful saddle though and I was told all the money that was collected, after the auctioneers cut of course, will go to Cancer research. So while I grimace when I think of what I got it for, it is good that it will go to a great cause.

Can you tell me what the clips and other things on the saddle are for? I am a western rider and now just getting acquainted with all the add on to this saddle.
    "Promise me you'll always remember: your braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." By Christopher Robins to Pooh

I'm not sure what you mean by clips. The Aussie saddles have features of the western stock, an english saddle and an endurance saddle all wrapped into one.

The rigging on it is much like a dressage saddle, with long billets, but they are wider/thicker than a standard dressage billet so you need to be sure that you are using an aussie girth. There is also an overgirth that runs over the seat of the saddle and through the slots in the flap. There will be a loop on one end of the overgirth and a corresponding strap on the girth that you put through the loop then into the buckle.

Instead of a back strap like a western saddle, these saddles are designed to use a crupper. I have never needed to use a crupper with mine, so that's purely optional.

I have both western style fenders and traditional english leathers with mine. I prefer the english leathers just because they're easier for me to adjust. I also did away with the wider brass stirrips and went with a brass fillis style.

I don't know if that helps but if you have any other questions, I'm happy to try to answer them.