The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone compete in SoCal??

I've finally gotten my hands on an event schedule from a nearby farm, and was wondering if anyone schools or attends HT's in the area, or if there are certain HT to avoid or attend. I'm new to the area, so any and all advice is appreciated!!!

Where are you in SoCal? Copper Meadows in Ramona (www.copper-meadows.com) and Galway in Temecula (www.galwaydowns.com) are great events.. I have been to both, great, well run events! I've known people who have been to 3-Day Ranch and loved it, I've never been myself. I know that one is more in the middle of nowhere as far as hotels and restaurants are concerned, if that is important to you. Twin Rivers, farther north also has good reports from friends of mine who have been...again, I was never able to make it there..that one was a bit of a haul from where I live in AZ....

If you are up for a drive in the summer, come to AZ in July for the Coconino Horse Trials! www.coconinohorsetrials.com. My trainer organizes them, it is a great event, and the landscape is like nowhere else that I have been in the southwest....ie pine forests, mountain air, etc... :-). Anyway...have fun in your eventing adventures!
    I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert!
    If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning!

3-Day is the bomb! Margie really goes out of her way to make sure all competitors (at ALL levels) have a really good time. Footing is well taken care of, fences are top quality, volunteers are well-treated. Copper Meadows is another good show.
    Galway is a bit of a mixed bag. A lot of lower level competitors don't like the appearance that the show caters to upper levels at the expense of the lower levels. The footing can be hard and rough, and we've had some horses come up sore on a regular basis at that venue. We're careful about what horses and what time of year we go.

The Flintridge HT are usually the first weekend in March.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Thank you for the kind words about 3 Day Ranch. We are off the "beaten track" but do try hard to make sure everyone has a great time.

We have an unrecognized 1 day this Sunday for elementary thru Intermediate if you want to see what we are "about"

Thank you again. Margie

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Day Ranch View Post
    Thank you for the kind words about 3 Day Ranch. We are off the "beaten track" but do try hard to make sure everyone has a great time.

We have an unrecognized 1 day this Sunday for elementary thru Intermediate if you want to see what we are "about"

Thank you again. Margie
    I wish I could come up, but we've already made plans with friends!

Oh yay! Looks like I'll hopefully be able to meet some fellow COtH'ers!

I've been emailing Copper Meadows about getting into their lesson program since it's literally down the road and a couple right turns from where I live. I'm VERY excited to check out the facilities!!

I am planning on going up to Temecula as well. I told DH I'm going to do everything I can to hitch a ride whenever I do get Horse fit enough to compete. Our stock trailer would literally be an eyesore on the show grounds, haha!

From what I've been told, this area has a few good eventing facilities! Can't wait to check them out!!