The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses not really starving...yet

From the Fugly Blog
    http://fuglyblog.com/2012/01/23/a-ch...tive/#comments

The AC officer is priceless - watch the video. It's one of those things where in a few months, it will be, you know, URGENT, but hey, she knows better, right?

My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

I agree that the situation needs to be closely watched, and that the ACO should be taking very proactive measures.
    The fugly writer's dispute is simply not 100% fact. She made very blanket statements.

1. I have seen horses crib on most anything. In fact I had one that cribbed on air. I also knew one that would crib on his foot.

2. Some horses DO live just fine on grass and hay, even in winter. Yes, in this particular instance, that is not the case, but don't paint all horses with the same brush.

3. I have a fat haffie that WILL lean under the fence to get grass. The grass IS greener on the other side, because its un-grazed grass. And he has plenty of pasture grass and hay to keep him occupied.

4. I have also seen horses chew on trees just because. Its not necessarily an indication they are hungry, or starving.

Like I said, I agree that the horses need weight. I agree that the ACO needs to take the investigation seriously and I'm glad the neighbor is so diligent.

But it really clouds an investigation to have people like this fugly person saying things that aren't always true in EVERY case. Her comments are just as erroneous as she claims the ACO's are.

Oh, I agree Tracey.

I guess what I meant was the AC officer seemed so indifferent. And, the horses looked like crap.

I don't agree with the cribbing thing, every horse is different. It just sssemed like the AC officer did not have a clue, andit looks like one of those scenarios where, in a few months, when the horses are let's say, a 1 on the Henneke scale, it will be a lot uglier.

Again, my focus was on that AC officer.

I wish the AC officer hadn't sounded so annoyed and irritated in the video. But I have to agree with spacytracy, I have seen fat healthy horses chew on stuff. I also think there is a mis use of terminology here between cribbing and wood chewing. Many people think they are one in the same or call them both by the same name.

I have a TB that would chew down a wood barn in a heartbeat, with a pile of hay in front of him. We turned out our fat belgian out into the grassy pasture and the next thing I know he is eating the tree! We had to fence the tree seperate so he wouldn't chew on it.

baby goose - exactly. I have one that does that. And had one that would have simply eaten my barn had I let him. Total Beaver.

Anyway there was just something about that AC officer that made my hair stand on end.

I agree Brandy..... hopefully they are doing follow ups.

Several of those horses looked to have pretty good cases of rainrot, commonly a sign of compromised/unhealthy animals, AND on a few of them you could count their ribs, and the knobs of their spines, AND see their hip bones plainly, but hey, no big deal, right?

That ACO is totally clueless. What a jerk!

My old mare was a bark chewer, out of boredom, but she never cribbed. There were quite a bit of chewed branches in that video, besides the debarked tree. Methinks the ACO and horse owner are probably friends, or the ACO is just a lazy fat*ss who can't be bothered....Hmm, probably the latter, from the looks of the video.

I hope the horses get some help soon!

My guess is that the horses cannot be removed if water and food is present, and they aren't below a certain level.

My guess is this is the first documented visit and HOPEFULLY they will be following closely.

The rainrot thing is gross, especially how obvious it is, but again, how many of us have had horses with rainrot? Do a search and you'll find TONS of threads on rainrot. Its not a neglect thing, necessarily.

Unfortunately the ACO seems totally clueless.

Right about the rainrot, I said it COMMONLY (NOT always) can be a sign of compromised animals...I had an Appy mare years ago that was prone to it, HOWEVER, she was in good weight, and her coat was somewhat glossy and full, even in the winter. She'd get a tad of rainrot on her back and topline area.

The horses in the video look thin, thrifty, and a few have pretty good cases of rainrot.

The mud does not bother me, we've got pretty muddy legs and coats right here on the farm, what with the warmer temps and melting snow...

The ACO's attitude is just so casual, like she could care less