The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default would you buy custom breeches?

What do you think about custom breeches? Would you buy them if they were the same price as off the shelf breeches or do you think off the shelf breeches fit fine?

I buy Equissentials, custom made. They will alter the breeches at a reasonable cost if you lose weight and will recycle the deerskin onto new farics when the fabric wears out.

They send out emails with specials a few times a year
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I buy Equissentials, custom made. They will alter the breeches at a reasonable cost if you lose weight and will recycle the deerskin onto new farics when the fabric wears out.

They send out emails with specials a few times a year

me too

Quote Originally Posted by touchadream View Post
    What do you think about custom breeches? Would you buy them if they were the same price as off the shelf breeches or do you think off the shelf breeches fit fine?
    Yes! When you are 5'11, it is hard to find breeches that fit correctly- just like jeans. lesigh. I would definately consider custom breeches, especially if they are schoeller fabric...I don't like the Equissentials fabric.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by touchadream View Post
    If they were the same price as the medium priced breeches and NOT the uber expensive off the shelf ones, then abso-friggin-lutely!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

If they were the same price and were real leather, yes. As this is your first post.... are you going into the business? Do you need testers???

I would consider it; I don't like the velcro rubs on my ankles or the penis bulge in front I have ended up with from some of the of the shelf models.

Penis bulge?! Tip: make sure they say "women's" ???!

The Equissentials custom breeches are the same price as the their sized ones, I believe. And if you want to save money on the Equissentials, buy them from SmartPak, they have all of the Equissentials styles. I just bought a pair of the Endurance Seat Jods--very cool full-seat boot-cut jods with a zipper at the bottom of the leg--for a Henrik Johansen dressage clinic this spring, and saved $65 b/c I didn't buy them from the Equissentials site. SmartPak's price was $30 less to begin with, plus they did not charge for sales tax($25) or shipping($10). SmartPak says the endurance seat jods are the new best-selling Equissentials breech, but Equissentials has regular breeches, too, custom or sized, and I believe you pay the same for both.

It would depend on the cost, material, etc.

Most off the shelf breeches fit me fine, but if there were fun options or something practical (like wicking/cool/warmer for endurance rides) I'd definitely go for that.

Have bought custom for years. Nothing fits off the rack, including F I T S! Plus, I like a real leather seat and German fabric.

I lurve Equissentials but they do a better job of fitting me and I buy them used whenever I can. Not a perfect fit but close!
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I have no problem with the fit of off-the-rack breeches, but I had a pair of Goodfellows custom-made when I lived in Germany and they're still the most comfortable breeches I've ever ridden in.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

All my breeches are custom (Equissentials) or Tropical Riders. The only ones I can wear and ride in comfortably. I'm not sure if any off-the-rack brand would even fit me.
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

thanks for all the responses. It seems like most people like the deerskin leather too.

I definitely love the schoeller fabric. It is more expensive than the other fabric that is used in some of the breeches but I like the feel of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeQs View Post
    Penis bulge?! Tip: make sure they say "women's" ???!
    High waisted breeches + flat stomach + front zipper that is too stiff = penis bulge....what I get for buying cheap white breeches off Ebay!

Schoeller fabric is lovely, it's worth the extra money...I would absolutely buy customs if the price was comparable to same quality/materials as off the rack brands.

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    It would depend on the cost, material, etc.

Most off the shelf breeches fit me fine, but if there were fun options or something practical (like wicking/cool/warmer for endurance rides) I'd definitely go for that.
    This - Off the shelf breeches fit fine (I get the high waisted $99 specials which fit perfectly and since 98% cottone work fine in the Florida heat), and the price is heard to beat. On the other hand my trainer is hard to fit so she'd probably go for reasonable priced customs.

What would drive it:
    1. Cost
    2. Fit - would you "store" measurements from clients so they could just re-order same size they have in the past? How would you gettheir measurement the first time? How would you document the "hard to fit" part (long waisted, short waisted, extra long/short legs, etc.
    3. Material
    4. Timeline from ordering to receiving the breeches.
    Sandy in Fla.

Are we talking about magical customs, like my tall boots, that cause you to lose 20 pounds right after ordering? If so, I'll take two

I had a friend who loved the custom made breeches. I wasn't sold on them because the fabric wore out so fast, and it didn't look good (fabric became worn looking, small holes). I like the more expensive breeches because I do feel you get what you pay for. I also had two friends give me their nice breeches because they didn't fit them anymore, but still have plenty of life in them.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina_32926 View Post

What would drive it:
    1. Cost
    2. Fit - would you "store" measurements from clients so they could just re-order same size they have in the past? How would you gettheir measurement the first time? How would you document the "hard to fit" part (long waisted, short waisted, extra long/short legs, etc.
    3. Material
    4. Timeline from ordering to receiving the breeches.
    That's why I go custom.
    1) Under 200 bucks.
    2) They give you detailed instructions on how to measure yourself. I think there are 9 different measurements. The odd combination of those measures is what makes me hard to fit.
    3) They keep the info on file.
    4) You can ask for fabric swatches.
    5) This is the best part. Ordering from Canada where things always get hung up at customs – I've received breeches within one week. Ordered on Friday and got them in the mail on Wednesday. Now I'm sure that was a lucky fluke – but I was happy!
    Proud Rubenesquestrian