The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I thought Tilly's point was that on paper her horse would look like it should be a $30,000 horse, but because she knew of its issues it was a $300 horse (if that) and not that she felt she got the deal of the century. An example of why a well bred, nice looking, well trained WB may go for cheap. Or at least that was my take home from her post.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    on a side note, IMHO and experience, horses don't really stay fit running around in their paddocks, their knowledge fades out with time as well as their willingness for heavier work load. It is also more difficult and it takes more time to get an older horse fit than a younger one (no matter if injured or not)
    I'm not sure why you continue to pick on Tilly when she didn't ask for your opinion on her horse,, never the less... He's 11. I'd hardly consider that "older", and horses that have BEEN fit are much easier to GET fit again later.

Tilly, if you get him going and out to a show someday I'd love to come cheer you on! My $300 gelding will be making his debut at 2nd this year.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I just checked the Corvallis site and there's a boatload of TBs available super cheap. There's at least 2 I wouldn't mind having in my barn.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

But it's not a WAAAAAHHHHMBLOOOOOOOD, Mtn. Maybe we should head back over to Eventing land. There's a TB mare local to me with an ad up, super cheap. There was a video on another ad for her that I can't find now that showed movement TO DIE FOR. I want to say she was $750-ish. Her name is Lily - doesn't sound like she's OTT, either.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I thought Tilly's point was that on paper her horse would look like it should be a $30,000 horse, but because she knew of its issues it was a $300 horse (if that) and not that she felt she got the deal of the century. An example of why a well bred, nice looking, well trained WB may go for cheap. Or at least that was my take home from her post.
    That was exactly my point

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I'm not sure why you continue to pick on Tilly when she didn't ask for your opinion on her horse,, never the less... He's 11. I'd hardly consider that "older", and horses that have BEEN fit are much easier to GET fit again later.

Tilly, if you get him going and out to a show someday I'd love to come cheer you on! My $300 gelding will be making his debut at 2nd this year.
    Thanks Heinz! He'd love to have an entourage, he's a little insecure
    As soon as the snow melts all the way he's going to start getting lunged, and I'll post pictures once he does start being ridden again
    Rebel Without Cash!

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    But it's not a WAAAAAHHHHMBLOOOOOOOD, Mtn. Maybe we should head back over to Eventing land. There's a TB mare local to me with an ad up, super cheap. There was a video on another ad for her that I can't find now that showed movement TO DIE FOR. I want to say she was $750-ish. Her name is Lily - doesn't sound like she's OTT, either.
    Link? I loves me some TB mares.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

$900, my bad. Here: http://salem.craigslist.org/grd/2800232817.html

Or this adorable face, for $350 (papers included):http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/grd/2818901489.html

Or: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/grd/2797967695.html

Started o/f (pics are eh...): http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/grd/2813079800.html

No pics...: http://corvallis.craigslist.org/grd/2816895727.html

A little more, but nicely built: http://corvallis.craigslist.org/grd/2781873935.html

This guy doesn't say TB in the ad, but he's got to be at least an appendix, and there's another ad posted later @$650 without pictures that says he's 16.1-2 and 5yo: http://corvallis.craigslist.org/grd/2792229309.html

Same owner as above, but a 3yo mare w/o pictures: http://corvallis.craigslist.org/grd/2816895727.html

Default Why oh why can't I find these amazing horse deals??

As many of you know, we tragically lost our ASB/Arabian a few weeks ago and I have been looking for a replacement for him that I could do LL jumpers or eventing, maybe some hunter paces and lots and lots of trail riding.

Forward but not crazy but not a deadhead. I'm an OK decent rider who DEFINITELY needs more lessons but I can stick some minor bucks and misbehavior, and my daughter can help me when she's home from college. I thought it would be like shooting carp in a barrel to find a gelding over 5 but under 16, on the small side with a good heart and mind and the conformation/ability to do the job I described. NOT.

My heart horse was an OTTB who we PTS last year at 26. I got him at 4 but I was 22 yrs younger, riding 5 days a week on multiple horses and taking 3 lessons a week so he and I survived his early days of crazy and went on to a life long partnership. I don't have that luxury this time around and would be mostly riding on my own.

Although I thought the horse market was in the dumpster, everything that has potential (not recovering from a career ending injury, a TWH, roping horse/western pleasure mount, 20yrs +) and advertised here in NC is $7500+--mostly in the $15K to $20K range. Whaaat?

I have rescued a bunch of dogs but to be honest I cannot afford to house and feed unrideable horses as much as I would love to just save them all. I just don't have the room or the budget.

I'm looking at a pony/TB cross this weekend that I have high hopes for but has some issues that will require retraining that I'm hoping will lower his price. But even with his issues, he is certainly not in the range you are talking about but the most promising thing I've seen. Guess our East coast market is just stronger than out west and in Texas.

(Just talked to a member of CANTER who said, despite what it says on the website, that they DO have some horses in our area. I have no clue why they aren't listed on their website or on any of the local sales pages or CL but I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll find the right horse soon.. )

Default Here's why English majors should never look at CL

Not sure whether it's the misspelled words, the longrunonsentenceswithnopunctuation in ALL CAPS that bothers me, or the picture from the FRONT as the sun was setting that bothers me the most.

But other than that, I'm tempted to go take a look!

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/2804960889.html

And this is the creme de la creme of our local CL

If everyone was good at selling horses we might not be in a buyers market!

I like the ads that say, "pretty horse" rather than the ones that tell you a foal that was born 4 days ago is a FEI prospect.

The best ads are people who have NO idea what they have

We had a barrel horse drop out come to the barn 16.2, good bone, and a pinto. Turned out she was actually a Tb/pintodraft and that crazy little mare had THE most uphill canter and crazy perfect balanced lead changes Ive ever seen!

When i brought her in once for a lesson (in all her black and white glory lol picture a very fit moder gypsy vanner lol), the trainer thought she was one of another owners imports (this lady has like 60k imports from holland). The trainer kept saying... "Doesnt she know this?"

I kept saying NO! She was a barrel horse!

Try explaining barrel racing to a european lol!

That mare was GIVEN to the owner as a barrel prospect lol.
    She had gaits and then sum... Crazy!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Exclamation could have been my horses

When I ended up in a nursing home and had no one and no$ to pay for my horses' care; I had been putting it into life insurance which was, of course, of no use when I survived but, was disabled and in a nursing home; my family was ready to send my horses mare and herfoal to a "livestock" auction, yes, where the "meaters" go to look for buys; at that , I very quickly agreed to send the foal, Mercury, then 2 years old, to a farm where a friends' daughter was barn manager, and she promised to keep an eye on him; Merry was given away shortly thereafter; I still grieve their loss; but am relieved to know they did not end up in a slaughter house.the
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Exclamation sounds useful

The App. QH sounds very useful; with some cleaning up he might be a quick resale especially for a kid or ad am.take a look, this might be the sale of the year or better; is there a video available?that might help you weed out the useless ones
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

In my area the hay situation (or lack thereof ) and bad economy are definitely taking their toll. I know a lot of people with very nice horses at fire sale prices because they simply can't feed them anymore. Most of the people I know who are selling horses for high prices are selling them to other areas unless they get lucky with a local buyer. It's really driven prices down to the point where I know people who are advertising very nice horses for free or very cheap because they simply cannot sell them at prices the horses "should" be worth and no one local has extra room (so no word-of-mouth placements, which is how the nice horses who needed urgent homes used to be moved). So that's how it happens pretty often in my area. I've seen horses that seemed as nice as the one in the OP (on the ad anyway, I'm trying to sell some myself so I haven't gone to look at any ) for much less than $2k.

Wow! I cannot believe how cheap southern horses are! Either that or I dont know how to CL properly! I never see horses this cheap in my area.

Exclamation sounds useful

The App. QH sounds very useful; with some cleaning up he might be a quick resale especially for a kid or ad am.take a look, this might be the sale of the year or better; is there a video available?that might help you weed out the useless ones
    breeder of Mercury!

Exclamation willing to help

If anyone would like help with marketing/ advertising a resale horse I would be happy to help/ make suggestions / write up ads, etc. feel free to ask me ,I enjoy doung it and it wold be probono, of course!
    breeder of Mercury!