The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How does this happen?

I'd like to know how a reg. warmblood with good scores ends up on CL for $2k.

Yes, this is a somewhat rhetorical question. Nice horses end up in weird places all the time, especially out here, it seems. I can't count how many ads I've seen for fancy, registered warmbloods that appear to have ended up in some backyard, horse-ignorant family's pasture as a trail horse. I'm tempted to go make the phone call... I need another middle-aged gelding like a hole in the head, but if he's not completely ruined and/or lame.........
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

The location matters too... Out here the hay is so bad with the drought I am not surprised to see horses for cheap.... There was rumor of a Jumper GP Gelding that went to a home here for super nothing for them to use to teach their kids to... Ride english

He was not old, lame, or crazy, and its heard he was pretty competative... Buyer was just right place right time I guess (BIG SHRUG).
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Depending on where you are in Oregon, it can also be because there's so much land and good quality pasture that it's tempting to people to throw a horse or two out there. without thinking much of it, then probably down the road realizing they shouldn't have the horse and "dumping" them for next to nothing on craigslist (or wherever). The auctions in Oregon I'm sure can be a place with a few diamonds in the rough, though it would probably have broken my heart to go to them.

I bought my current mare in Oregon form a guy who thought it would be dandy to buy his girlfriend a pretty grey arabian, so he bought her, tossed her in the backyard, and then said mare proceeded to scare the crap out of him, his girlfriend, and the string of friends they brought to try to ride her (sigh). I bought her for almost nothing when they decided they couldn't get her off their property fast enough (heard they were going to drop her at the auction so I hustled over to see her and made a quick decision to take her off their hands without even a vet check. Thankfully she's been an awesome horse for me for the past ten years and still going strong).

The land up there is fantastic, but I do think it allows people to jump into situations (animal-wise) without as much thought as other locations where high board would keep that from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I'd like to know how a reg. warmblood with good scores ends up on CL for $2k.

Yes, this is a somewhat rhetorical question. Nice horses end up in weird places all the time, especially out here, it seems. I can't count how many ads I've seen for fancy, registered warmbloods that appear to have ended up in some backyard, horse-ignorant family's pasture as a trail horse. I'm tempted to go make the phone call... I need another middle-aged gelding like a hole in the head, but if he's not completely ruined and/or lame.........
    can you afford his upkeep while looking for another home for him? if yes, go look ...
    if not, STOP READING!!! (it's heartbreaking)

The auctions here are definitely not something to go to if you have a weak stomach, or bleeding heart. You'll surely stuff the trailer full, and then some, if you have the space at home. We have five stalls empty at the first of the month, fortunately I can't afford to feed such a crowd! I do have one empty now, though. There was a mid-teens Trak gelding at the Hermiston fall auction - not sure what came of him, but Hermiston isn't your usual low end run through anyway. The catalog even had a picture of him over a XC jump.

And I did get an answer to my OP question - I spoke to the owner, who was very ...nice. I'm going to go "visit" him on Saturday. Based on what I was told, I also have some feelers out to one of his previous trainers about past history. It is unlikely that he'll end up coming home with me.

Hurrah!

Heinz, it's you. You have good CL karma. But usually $300 is the magic number, right?

I read Oregon CL because of your example and I get nuthin.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Yes, $300 is the magic number. But, maybe $2k is the new $300 for 2012? I certainly hope not.

I really just need to QUIT LOOKING at horses, but I can't help it. Gotta know what's out there. It's all about staying connected. I check Salem, Corvallis, Eugene and Portland daily. Yes, that sounds like a lot of work, but when you check it daily, it's really only about 5 minutes.

As for the horse in question, the owner is a bit woo-woo. Sounds like she takes great care of her horses and loves them dearly, though. I don't do woo-woo.

What is woo woo?

Like out of it? I have to know now what THAT mean lol

I have a student whose pony club horse is a young(ish) Weltmeyer gelding - 17 hands with a nice mind for $1200.
    My students Mom saw him on Craigslist and called not believing what she was seeing. It was as advertised - she has the papers that went with him! Turns out the owner was a "trust fund kid" (as she described it) so was buying horses like the rest of us might buy a new pair of shoes.

Unfortunately (for her and the horses - not my student) she didnt involve her trainer when she picked up these horses. So practically everything she got was way above her riding abilities. After about 6 months, she would get frustrated that she couldnt ride or manage the horse - and dump it cheap on Craigs list. The Mom of my student has followed this for a while and after she was able to get the nice gelding from this woman, she said she saw an arab stallion advertised for sale for 1K, then a cutting horse with some great bloodlines (also around 2K). Amazing. and sad at the same time. She talked to the girls trainer and he said the girl was bouncing around to different trainers as she was not willing to listen to their advice about not buying this next horse that obviously wouldnt work for her. The trainers were firing the student. (cant blame them!)

She's not a rider. I don't want to go into great detail, but we had a nice discussion that included a lot of anthropomorphism and a list of conditions that must be adhered to regarding future uses and handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    She's not a rider. I don't want to go into great detail, but we had a nice discussion that included a lot of anthropomorphism and a list of conditions that must be adhered to regarding future uses and handling.
    Gotcha

I had a lady once tell me I could have her horse but I had to sign a contract that I'd use natural horsemanship? I have good credit lady.. I dont need to end up in court defending my definition of Natural Horsemanship...

But I think we all know the definition of crazy in the horseworld...

Woo woo is a new one lol

How do "nice reg. WB horses" end up on Craigslist for 2k? Tons of reasons. But most likely - wouldn't stay sound or a b*tch to ride or handle. In another words, just because it's a WB and just because it's papered, doesn't mean it's "nice".

My friend got a (skinny & mangey) papered BWP gelding, early teens, for 800 bucks on the understanding that he wasn't going to hold up to serious work because of an old injury. All she wanted to do was take him on leisurely hacks. So she bought him, fattened him up, put him on coat supplements, bathed him with medicated shampoo, in short - pampered him, and how did he repay her? Dumped her flat on her butt out of nowhere on a hack, at the walk. A dirty, uncalled for buck - at the WALK. He also had the nasty habit of trying to spin around and trot back to the barn, again, from a casual walk - it's not like he was being asked to do much.
    Once when i was helping my friend and doing turn-in, he decided he didn't want to go in and suddenly snaked his head and took off trotting, dragging me until i finally had to let go.

This horse, by the way, was an ex 4' Jumper, and she later found out always had a bad attitude under tack. He had been vetted up the ying yang, had the best of everything, and yet, his work ethic sucked. So yeah, he ended up in someone's backyard, for sale for 800 bucks.

After having him for 5-6 months, my friend gave him away. She most certainly did not feel she had gotten a "deal", far from it. Oh, and yes, she went to see him and tried him before buying - she said he was super quiet and gentle when she tried him.

So, beware of these "deals". It's very rare that horses like this end up in these types of situations for no reason. Just sayin'.

^ this.

And we are likely to see more and more of it as more and more WBs enter the market.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by ASBJumper View Post
    So, beware of these "deals". It's very rare that horses like this end up in these types of situations for no reason. Just sayin'.
    As mvp alluded to, I almost exclusively deal in cheap and/or free horses. Usually found on CL or through other slumly means (auction buyers, stock contractors, rodeo connections, and whathaveyou). My lifer was free from CL - and he's 17.2+, sound, sane, registered, and relatively fancy (though starved upon receipt). Number two has done A circuit jumpers, circuit-level pleasure, barrels, and now dressage (65-70 at 1st) and eventing. He's sane, if a little up in the box, sound, and also registered. His price tag? $300. I can rattle off a list of others, most with papers, that I've picked up and put time into that rang up for less than $1k.

It's not for everyone, and I'm sorry your friend got burned. BUT - there ARE plenty of deals out there!

PS - mvp. A) if you still want to hack the odd beast now and then, we're out in West Salem now. I know it's twice as far. The "old" men have both been body clipped and are looking mighty spiffed. and, B) if you want good deals on cheap horses, I'm your (wo)man. Tack is harder. I utilize the search function site:craigslist.org frequently. I'm convinced the $300 Delgrange was a once-in-a-lifetime find, though.

I don't want to go into great detail, but we had a nice discussion that included a lot of anthropomorphism and a list of conditions that must be adhered to regarding future uses and handling.

In my horse search I found one seller with a lovely red roan, unbroke young mare. I love pink drafts so I gave the seller a call. The seller objected to dressage training so even though the seller was in a position where the horses needed to be sold the seller passed on me. The seller was convinced that dressage would damage the horse. I was window shopping the other day and the horse was still on the market. I got Fella in the summer after about 9 to 10 months of looking.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Yeah, I read the Central Oregon CL too much.
    I really liked a TB mare a few weeks ago (like $300 bucks if I remember right), and a dapple gray Perchy/TB that sounded like fun.
    There was an Appy gelding, too, that was bossy in his turnout, that the owners wanted gone. Apparently he was not troublesome to ride, but wouldn't let the bottom-of-the-pecking-order horses eat. I think they wanted $200 for him.

You could check with an attorney, but I think a contract for conditions of future use and care is pretty much worthless and unenforceable. If the horse is nice, and what you're looking for, I wouldn't let woo woo stop you. As for natural horsemanship.... well I'd use what training came natural to me. Which includes a lunge line, whip, and various forms of side reins.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I know someone who got an 18 hand warmblood that was a dressage drop out, he hated it so he was given away to a trail home and the horse is happy as a clam.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    You could check with an attorney, but I think a contract for conditions of future use and care is pretty much worthless and unenforceable. If the horse is nice, and what you're looking for, I wouldn't let woo woo stop you. As for natural horsemanship.... well I'd use what training came natural to me. Which includes a lunge line, whip, and various forms of side reins.
    BTDT - not worth the headache when woo woo stalks you. She's got another buyer coming to see him tomorrow, if things don't work out I may still go see him. I have plenty to keep me busy at home, though!