The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Snowman

I was reading the book "the 80.00 Champion", about the beloved Snowman and was curious if anyone has ever had their own Cinderella story or know of one? I love these underdogs!
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Patrick Marley, a dressage trainer in NC, bought a QH mare out of a field and trained her to Grand Prix. Nice guy, nice mare.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...are-made-honey

www.patrickmarleydressage.com
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

I have to find a link for this, but when I was a junior rider there was a locally famous young lady whose horse, Charlie, was a scrawny, potbellied yearling at the cheap auction that her mother just couldn't leave there, so they brought him home, fed him up and took care of him, and discovered that even though he always looked like the fugly beasty he was born, he had a natural athletic gift and kept his rider, and the other kids that were privileged to ride him, in the top rankings of the little local show circuit.

He was no Snowman, but he did OK. http://issuu.com/pacificsun/docs/201...w&pageNumber=1 It's on page 8-9.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Jan. 23, 2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Charlie's angels - found the link!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Sportscar, the USEA (Eventing) 2003 Mare of the Year was purchased, as a weanling, off the meat truck at the Marshall (VA) Auction. The buyer had to pay the meat guy to unload several other horses to get her off.

see
    http://www.ca.uky.edu/anr/Agent%20Re...ed%20Horse.pdf
    and scroll down almost to the end (pg 51-52 of 58, but labelled pg 19-20)
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Nothing so drastic but I got my guy for a $1.00 as a yearling stud colt and he has turned out pretty darn nice, now 25 y.o this year with many tri-colors and national (breed) awards.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Mighty Mouse was a 14 hand Arab (freeze brand unreadable) that was found running loose by my friends in the early 80s. No one claimed him, and I bought him from them for $200. We evented in Area IV at Novice and Training level and were very successful... in the last few years of his career he won almost every Novice event we entered. He was also successful at Training level, never placing lower than fifth, and winning several events, including winning the Hill & Dale Perpetual Trophy at the Fox River Vally Pony Club Horse Trials in 1992 for the lowest training score of all divisions. He was truly my Cinderella horse. He died at age 21 from an adrenal tumor.

My best friend bred and raised, till he was 3, a red chestnut TB. She was a vet student/just starting out vet at the time and the last thing she wanted was to train and compete an ARROGANT, OPINIONATED, SNOT-NOSED LITTLE BRATTY red horse. I asked her what her plans were for him, she practically threw him at me. He was pretty poisonous. Cantankerous and a know it all. But oh my, was he ever talented. We had a love-hate relationship, we each had huge respect for each other but there was no snuggling-best-friend stuff going on with us. I trained him up, each thing I asked of him he said Yes (after quite a lot of discussion) My farrier had known him since his first trim and always growled he should have been put down early! The horse and his vet/owner/breeder were always at war but for some reason, I got along with him. We competed together for about 17 years, he was the USEA and USEF Preliminary horse of the year, we did a bunch of CCIs together, he topped out at Intermediate. He severed his SDFT walking in his field outside my kitchen window while I was looking at him. I put him down when he was 24. We had a great run, made even sweeter bc no one who knew him ever thought he could or WOULD do anything worthwhile.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

My old trainer was driving around and saw this shaggy pony in a field and offered to buy him on the spot. She brought him home and fixed him up, and he cleaned up at A shows in the 90s. Now he teaches up-down lessons and is loved on by a whole generation of kids that learned how to jump on him.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

How about Neville Bardos (former $850 failed-racehorse, current USEF Horse of the Year)

or I have my own $200 (+$600 for shipping) guy who I compete in the jumpers and regularly ride against (and beat) horses who I know are priced well into the low-mid 6 figures...

Yay for the underdogs!

Default Oliver Twist

My pony Oliver Twist, I found him the car and truck trader as a unbroke 3yr old. Paid nearly nothing for him. In 2010 he won the NAL pony jumper finals in Harrisburg.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...-jumper-finals
    If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

How about Theodore O' Connor? I dearly loved that pony.
    You're trying to do something normal people wouldn't do because they're terrified they might fail. -Boyd Martin

Cindy Rose Wylie bought a TB off the track for $1 and trained him to GP level with many awards, at prestige shows such as Dressage at Devon!

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabon2004 View Post
    How about Theodore O' Connor? I dearly loved that pony.
    He is a great story.

But he was never in need of rescuing from a dire situation, nor bought "really cheap".
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

The story goes something like this. A young Canadian boy traps coyotes and with the money bought a Krugerrand gold coin. Later he used that to buy a rank bucking horse that he mangaed to use in Pony Club. He later went on to take that horse to the Seoul Olympics in three day event. His name is David Wilding-Davies and the horse is Crusader. Unfortunately, the horse was spun at the vet check and never ran at the Olympics, causing furore because the men who did the vet check refused to give the horse a second chance at the trot-up.