The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default Trainer's Challenge Article

So, I just read the article on the ex-racehorse trainer's challenge: http://chronofhorse.com/article/reti...egins-maryland

All I have to say is, what's the big deal? I mean, they sound like the horse have never had a leg on them. Um, many were started with a slightly longer leg on them and then moved on to jockeys and exercise riders. It all depends.

They talk about their trainability like they're surprised. Um, no, they already have been trained and had a career and most OTTBs are smart little whips with a good work ethic. Yes, there are nut jobs, but you know they didn't pick any for this.

Also, they're used to crowds. No big surprise there either.

I'm just wondering what all the hoopla is about. Here they're trying to prove that OTTBs are easy to work with and can go to new homes off the track, and yet the article is making it sound like they should all be bombs ready to go off between the trainer's legs. How does that inspire people to pick up an ex-racehorse?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    So, I just read the article on the ex-racehorse trainer's challenge: http://chronofhorse.com/article/reti...egins-maryland

All I have to say is, what's the big deal? I mean, they sound like the horse have never had a leg on them. Um, many were started with a slightly longer leg on them and then moved on to jockeys and exercise riders. It all depends.

They talk about their trainability like they're surprised. Um, no, they already have been trained and had a career and most OTTBs are smart little whips with a good work ethic. Yes, there are nut jobs, but you know they didn't pick any for this.

Also, they're used to crowds. No big surprise there either.

I'm just wondering what all the hoopla is about. Here they're trying to prove that OTTBs are easy to work with and can go to new homes off the track, and yet the article is making it sound like they should all be bombs ready to go off between the trainer's legs. How does that inspire people to pick up an ex-racehorse?
    I think the writer of the article is the one making the big deal, not any of the participants in the challenge.

Maybe the writer needs to realize that OTTBs are not scary, nor lunatics, and understand the reason for the challenge is to show OTTBs easily adapt to new sports.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I think these articles were taken from the presentation based on some of the articles and videos done for the trainers challenge are to help overcome some of the sterotypes that many people have about OTTBs. Because let's be honest, many people think that OTTBs may not be as good as a homebred that had never seen a track, WB, a QH, etc...Untrainable, brokedown, crazy, too hot for fill-in-the-blank (an ammy, a beginner, dressage, etc). If you look at the mission of the RRTP, their mission is place as many TBs into a second career, to show their versatility.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

It is silly really cause most trouble isnt just gettin on lol

Most trouble is found (if there is any to be found) whenever they fit up IMO. Some fit up better than others mentally in the new disciplines

As it is they cant be super spooky or stupid to actually race

But once they are really getting their jump on, or starting collection thats my opinion of when these "test" should begin to show riders how to relieve the tension and stress of a very fit well fed tb

How long will they be riding them?
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Default I love it.

Velvet, only you could find something to complain about in that article.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Well, to be fair yes they did already have a job and they were already broke, but definately not for dressage or the hunter ring.

I think the point is that a horse off the track perceived as a hot race horse can easily transition into dressage, hunters and eventing with the right person. I've seen numerous OTTBs that were sold off the track and the new owner and trainer thought they could work with him and the horse was a total mess after a few months. This is where they get a bad reputation. They need to be trained by someone who knows what they are doing. They are not all going to be eventing after 6 months, some may, but some need more time, if you don't have the time don't do it.

And if you don't know what you're doing don't do it. I hate throwing my leg over an OTTB for the first time anywhere. I think the point is valid that it takes experience and time. I hope this brings awareness. I love my OTTBs.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Kids out here break them on the lunge all the time... Or have someone pony them around so they can be started for polo...

They accidentally gave me one to ride that was new off the track 3 years old and I thought she was another mare that looks IDENTICAL to her... Anyway ones named Hawaii and the other Mahala so there ya go

Anyway I saddle and hop on... She wouldnt stop jogging in place Im like someone is UP today and try going to the rail. She starts cantering so Im like okay and we canter... She didnt want to stop so I cantered around for a while then finally stopped her back to a jiggy trot again. I ended it for the day thinking it was a just an off day... The guy comes up to me... "Hey she looked pretty good!" I was like um okay er... "Thanks."

Next day I go to get her and the owners says, "Thats Mahala not Hawaii... Um she is three and has been off the track for a month only... We have only walked her in the round pen so far..." I was like, "well she's done more then that now! lol"

Like I said its not the first getting on part lol... That same mare fitted up very nicely though.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

^I need a "like" button for that post. ^
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I don't think the article is intended to be that way...I was there watching everything the writer is quoting and it was meant to be educational. There are tons of people that were present at the expo watching Steuart's demo that have no clue about OTTB's...they all were just trying to get them educated about how they are in fact really great horses. Kind of comparing the stereotype to the reality...Steuart even told the crowd that these horses were the norm, not an exception, to the general racehorse population. I think it's a great thing that he's doing and I look forward to seeing their progress!

Maybe not intended, but that is how it read. She focused more on the potential issues and acted like they would be surprised by things that any race person knows they've already seen in one form or another. I wish she'd focused on that. There wasn't enough of a focus on what these horses already know and have seen/done.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"