The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2007
    Location
    too far from the barn
    Posts
    5,506

    Default Leslie Law clinic report and bragging about my youngster

    We did the Area III adult rider clinic with Leslie Law this weekend. Thanks so much to Robin Bass for organizing it and Alice and Rocking Horse for hosting it. I had a really great time and loved riding my youngster in his first extensive xc outing. I've blogged here. You can skip over all the gushing about my guy as there is some stuff about Leslie's teaching that you might find interesting:
    http://seema-thefloridachronicles.bl...aw-clinic.html
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug. 24, 2007
    Posts
    893

    Default

    A nice report, thank you. I think her advice to not abuse your horses generosity is a good take home message for most riders.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    LOVE that picture over the liverpool! And I love his description of Keegan as "generous"- how exciting! Jeff only rode with him on Saturday but really, really enjoyed it (I think he rode in Steph's group). Wish I could have been there! I will be there this coming weekend though, if you need a groom
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

    Equi-Sport Services



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2001
    Location
    Sheridan, IN
    Posts
    3,433

    Default

    Great report!

    I have Leslie coming 3 times this year--I was really impressed with him last year. He helped every single person, no matter the level, made every horse better and kept it really simple and educational.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2003
    Location
    Nonsuch House
    Posts
    3,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    A nice report, thank you. I think her advice to not abuse your horses generosity is a good take home message for most riders.
    Leslie is a he His wife is Lesley

    And to add they are both great at finding your small, but very important fault.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

    "To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 1999
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,378

    Default

    Faybe-
    Jeff's horse is really, really nice



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Faybe-
    Jeff's horse is really, really nice
    Thanks! We're pretty fond of him. I tell Jeff on a regular basis it was the best $1 he ever spent!
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

    Equi-Sport Services



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr. 13, 2005
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Posts
    1,665

    Default

    nice report! I'm excited to hopefully be riding in a clinic with him this spring.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr. 30, 2002
    Location
    Looking up
    Posts
    6,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    We did the Area III adult rider clinic with Leslie Law this weekend. Thanks so much to Robin Bass for organizing it and Alice and Rocking Horse for hosting it. I had a really great time and loved riding my youngster in his first extensive xc outing. I've blogged here. You can skip over all the gushing about my guy as there is some stuff about Leslie's teaching that you might find interesting:
    http://seema-thefloridachronicles.bl...aw-clinic.html
    Wonderful! Thanks for all the details! Sounds like great fun.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 18, 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    847

    Default Thanks for the Post

    Nice post! You make me hope that he comes to Area 1... Thanks for sharing!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 13, 2005
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CANTEREOIN View Post
    Nice post! You make me hope that he comes to Area 1... Thanks for sharing!
    Here you go
    May 22 - 23 Leslie Law
    $185; audit $20 per day, $30 for both days
    Closing date: May 20, Opening date: March 1
    2259 Scottsville Rd,
    Scottsville, New York 14546

    Heidi Vahue, 585 657-4523
    hsvmev@frontiernet.net
    Show Jumping and Cross Country
    Max of 7 per group, cross country on Stuart Horse Trials grounds
    Day one dressage and show jumping/Day 2 cross country



  12. #12
    Join Date
    May. 24, 2007
    Location
    Lubbock, TX
    Posts
    1,607

    Default

    Great report!

    The Laws are both fantastic teachers. I went to a clinic with them and we ended up referring to them as "he-Law" and "she-Law".
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2001
    Location
    Sheridan, IN
    Posts
    3,433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Here you go
    May 22 - 23 Leslie Law
    $185; audit $20 per day, $30 for both days
    Closing date: May 20, Opening date: March 1
    2259 Scottsville Rd,
    Scottsville, New York 14546

    Heidi Vahue, 585 657-4523
    hsvmev@frontiernet.net
    Show Jumping and Cross Country
    Max of 7 per group, cross country on Stuart Horse Trials grounds
    Day one dressage and show jumping/Day 2 cross country
    How the heck are you doing it so cheaply? I can't have have him in for anywhere near $185!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr. 13, 2005
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    How the heck are you doing it so cheaply? I can't have have him in for anywhere near $185!
    I don't know LAZ - I just copied the info from the Area 1 site. 7 per group is pretty large though. I wouldn't sign up for a XC school that large...



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    How the heck are you doing it so cheaply? I can't have have him in for anywhere near $185!
    I think it's from the FLTAP they have some sort of donation to make it more affordable... or something like that. I know it's due to some OTTB organization, brain not firing on all cylinders right now!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 13, 2005
    Location
    Rochester NY
    Posts
    1,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    How the heck are you doing it so cheaply? I can't have have him in for anywhere near $185!
    Last year with Bobby Costello (~$175) we had help like Helidoro said, from FLTAP (Finger Lakes Thoroughbred Adoption Program) who sponsered the clinic - it was 2 days and we rode for 2 hours each day (IIRC) - I was when I saw prices in other areas! Even Lucinda seems "cheap" at $250 for the same deal, compared to what I've seen in other areas.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan. 19, 2005
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    I don't know LAZ - I just copied the info from the Area 1 site. 7 per group is pretty large though. I wouldn't sign up for a XC school that large...


    6-8 is a VERY typical number of riders for jumping with a BNT. Most can handle a group that size easily and it is typically for 1.5-2 hours depending on time of year.


    I've ridden with L. Law in a group that big and still gotten a lot out of it.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2007
    Location
    too far from the barn
    Posts
    5,506

    Default

    I think this one was $230 for the two days including stabling at Rocking horse. Lessons were 1.5+ hours. We had 5 on Saturday and 6 on Sunday and I definitely didn't feel that the group was too big. Leslie did a great job of personalizing the exercises (despite them being the same exercises) depending on what the horse and rider needed
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Our area's Leslie clinic is $325 for 2 days not including stabling, although the groups are more like 3-5 since it's held indoors. Lucinda is $365 for 2 days not including stables and the groups will probably be a little bigger.

    Would be great to have some sort of sponsorship to help defray the cost a little!



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2007
    Location
    Germantown MD
    Posts
    167

    Default

    I love what he says about not scolding a horse just for having fun. Another good take away.



Similar Threads

  1. Leslie Law clinic for BN horse/rider?
    By petit fromage in forum Eventing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Nov. 12, 2009, 12:46 PM
  2. Leslie Burr Howard Clinic-Opinions?
    By Atypical in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct. 12, 2009, 10:50 AM
  3. Leslie Law clinic report--day two!
    By deltawave in forum Eventing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun. 21, 2009, 09:46 PM
  4. 2 Day Leslie Law Clinic in NC
    By displacedyank in forum Eventing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jan. 12, 2009, 09:08 PM
  5. Replies: 69
    Last Post: Feb. 22, 2008, 12:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness