The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Supplements instead of feed

I have a retiree and a donkey that stay on the portly side year round. Currently, they are both getting Triple Crown Legends 11% pelleted. They are on so-so pasture but are given high quality bermuda hay and both stay round as ticks !

I am thinking of taking them off the legends and switching to a vitamin supplement instead. Has anyone done this? What is a good supplement to make sure they are getting all their nutrients without any added fat?

By the way, neither receive any work and they reason I feed them is because I have others that receive feed and they would complain if they get nothing!!

Oh goodness yes, "ticks" don't need added calories

For sure switch the donk to a v/m supplement, and use a cup or so of alfalfa pellets or beet pulp (soaked volume, so it's really very little) to carry it.

What are the details of the retiree? He may need more nutrition than a v/m supplement, but maybe not.

BTW - Legends is Southern States, not TC

How much of it are you feeding the retiree? He might do well on the TC 30% ration balancer, 1lb.

Easy and good to do.

1/2 cup of Equipride once a day mixed with what you desire: plain beet pulp, alfalfa pellets or even just plain if they like it that way

If you wanna try some, come grab a baggie full
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Thanks y'all! The retiree is retired due to injury not old age. he is 14 and very healthy and fat! So far, I have not noticed any pain issues that warrant a joint supplement. He is just an overall, healthy, happy guy.

Choco, I may look into the Equipride. I just want him to get the nutrients without any extra calories.

Any other suggestions would be great!

I second JB's recommendation of the Triple Crown 30%. It's a high quality ration balancer. I've never heard of Equipride, so can't offer any help there.

In addition to the TC 30%, there's also Gro'N Win by Buckeye, Equalizer by Seminole, All-Phase by Pennfield and Enrich 12 or Enrich 32 by Purina. But I would avoid Purina if at all possible.

I just started feeding my pony Smartpak's pelleted EZKeeper Grass. It is an ounce a day. I split it into half for each feeding and give her the other half ounce TC Senior. I must say it does not smell appetizing, but she is eating it well.

She is way too fat to have a Ration Balancer. 1000 extra calories would make her as wide as 2 sofas instead of her normal one-sofa berth. As it is, I kept checking her udder to make sure she wasn't going to drop a surprise foal, since her former owner had stallions. I kept thinking that no horse could be that round without a baby in there! But she is.

It's another option other than a RB for the super easy keepers.

A ration balancer is not the same thing as a complete multivitamin/mineral/amino acid supplement. Ration balancers contain protein and calories which vit/min supplements do not, and are fed at much larger volumes.
    Click here before you buy.

You could try TC Lite RB. It's designed for easy keepers, ponies, and minis.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

TC Lite is not an RB. TC's RB's are the 30% supplement and the 12% supplement.

TC no longer makes the 12%

No, TC Lite isn't a RB. It can be useful for some horses, sort of a "heavy" RB LOL

IIRC it's fed at 1lb per 500lb, so most horses would be getting in the range of 2.5lb or so. At about 800cal/lb, that's about 2000 calories - more than 1lb of any RB I know if.

At about 800cal/lb, that's about 2000 calories - more than 1lb of any RB I know if
    800 calories per pound is the LOWEST I've heard for a RB. Enrich 32 is 1500 cal/lb and I think the Enrich 12 is about 1200 cal/lb.

I was referring to the TC Lite being 800

Dang, must not be much in there but . . . what do they use for non-caloric fillers in horse food?! Even the icky, stemmy hay I got the first year I lived here (which the horses loved) was 850 cal/lb.

LOL, I know. I MAY be wrong on that calorie deal, but I swear that's what I remember tcnutrition here stating at some point

Ok, I was wrong

1150 cal/lb, so for SURE feeding 2-3lb is way more than 1lb of a ration balancer.

Any way you look at it, the amount of TC Lite to feed is more calories than the appropriate amount of a ration balancer