The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Litter box habits

No real point to this I guess except to discuss them and their eccentricities

5 inside cats, 4 of them are angels - careful scratching before and after, and while they might not always hit their mark, the litter stays in the box.

#5 though, Jelly Bean, omg. Digging her spot is fine. But trying to cover it? Huge sweeping leg movement with a pronounced "flip" at the end, and MAN can she fling some litter!

I get around that for one use by heading down there first thing the morning and she and "her kitten" Bailey are more than happy to oblige going #1, usually followed up by #2. So I carefully time Jelly's clean up and hold the top of a plastic litter container at the end of her swing, keeping litter in for at least that time. But beyond that, piles of litter (usually clean, thankfully, every now and then she'll toss a turd out) everywhere. And, sometimes she'll hop into the next box and try to cover it up from THERE.

I used to have a cat, another tortie, who would, after doing her thing, climb onto the edges of the box and paw at the plastic LOL She never did learn to cover anything up

I know the obvious answer is a covered box, but they simply won't use one - tried

There's a reason I graduated from a dust buster to clean up the spills to a mini Shop Vac!

Use a deep Rubbermaid or Sterilite tote/storage box, they really help contain litter-flingers and high-pee-ers.

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=181&section=1

I cut a hole in the lid too, more or less dinner plate sized, for a top entry box that really helps keep mess and smell to a minimum.

LOL, one of these boxes IS a high sided one, but no, not as high as that Sterlite.

My biggest issue with things that shape is the pee clumps at the edges of the short ends can get really difficult to get out, since the scooper can't get right at the edge.

Maybe I'll get one of those to put in there and give it a trial - certainly cheaper than a litter box!

Yep, I use a couple sterilite tubs as litter boxes, too. Really helps to contain the litter for those flingers, and there seems to be fewer issues with the bigger boxes And they're cheap enough to just toss when they start to get icky! I buy new boxes a couple times a year.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

I have a flinger too, but thankfully she has been persuaded to use a covered box. It took a while though. I had both uncovered litter boxes inside 3-sided cardboard boxes, so the flung litter didn't end up ground into the carpet. Of course she did occasionally fling out the front, but this contained the side/back flinging.

I simply removed one normal litterbox and replaced it with a covered one (and removed the clear plastic door because she could not figure that out for love or money). She went in and walked around a few times but didn't do any business in there for a month or so ... and I gradually let the litter in her regular box get a little stale, and then she started using the covered one.

I'm glad she is OK with a covered one now, because our hound mix finally figured out that there are TURDS in those boxes, YUM!

Fortunately he is not allowed in the room where her boxes are, and his fat head doesn't fit easily through the doorway of either box.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

These are wonderful, pricey but wonderful:

http://www.amazon.com/Clevercat-Top-.../dp/B0002ZS20I

Have several of them. One I leave the top off. Have one front load litter box
    as well. Something for everyone.

The plastic in these is very thick and inside has no ridges, etc to make it
    hard to clean. The ribbed top really stops the tracking of the litter.

That's essentially what I made w/ the Sterilite totes. Works really well