The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Girl Scouts Badges

Have had Girl Scouts coming to my barn for 30+ years. Emailed the contact I have for our local Girl Scout Council to check about the spring session. Only to be told that they have redone all the badges & there is no longer the horse related badges.
    Has anyone else found this to be true?
    I looked it up on Girl Scouts website & it seems to be true.
    This really sucks if so, this was a big part of my income.
    If this is true all over, I'm guessing a lot of us are going to be affected by this.

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Horsemanship

The boys still do it.

I would love to have a reliable barn nearby for our troop to go to.

Maybe you need to contact them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

http://www.girlscoutshop.com/gsusaon...RSEBACK+RIDING

They still make them, though they're catagorized as "fun" badges, which go on the back rather than the front of the vest. I guess these ones are less official than the other types of badges, but they're just as rewarding for the kids. My daughter's troop is going trail riding in the spring and she'll get a badge out of the deal . . .
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

You get a badge for just going on a trail ride??? Really? No need to actually learn anything? Wow.

Don't worry, girl scouts are just as horse crazy as ever. It's actually the number one thing on my troop's list this year!
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

"Fun" badges are not real badges, so you don't have to learn anything. They are really just wearable documentation of activities the girls have done - riding, skating, sleepovers, whatever.

The youngest girls may like them, but older/more serious troops do not. Those scouts are focused on "real" badges because they are requirements for advanced rankings. Sadly, it appears that girl scouting has decided to remove any aspect of horsemanship from the "real" badge structure.
    Incredible Invisible

Guess the Girl Scouts new Transvestite Badge took the horse badge place. That organization has gotten really off-the-tracks. Pity

I was impressed at the Boy Scouts badge requirements...they actually have to ride (WTC), comformation, illnesses etc. It was one of the original group of badges from 1911.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

My son earned his belt loop for horseback riding, and we are working on the next level. Even at the basic level he had to learn about care and safety. I've offered to allow any of his pack to do the horse stuff at my farm, and looks like we will have a bunch of them on the spring.

Back in the day when I was a Girl Scout leader the troops also had the option of designing there own troop or council badge. It took some work to come up with the requirements and also to get council approval, but maybe that's a route you could pursue.

If there are enough interested girls/leaders, work with them to come up with something that really teaches some horsemanship & riding skill. (I always thought the old requirements were a little weak anyhow. As someone else mentioned, the Boy Scouts require more true skill development.)

Once a council had developed a badge, other councils could also use the requirements and award it if it caught their interest. One way you might keep this "alive." Good luck!

Oh, man! The horse badge I earned from girl scouts was the hook that turned me into a horse person!! I truly had no interest in horses prior to that badge. Zero. Zilch. After that badge, though, I was done with everything else (including scouts!) to make time and money for riding!

I got my badge in the eary 60's and had to pass a test and have a horseperson sign off that I had ridden.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Guess the Girl Scouts new Transvestite Badge took the horse badge place. That organization has gotten really off-the-tracks. Pity

I was impressed at the Boy Scouts badge requirements...they actually have to ride (WTC), comformation, illnesses etc. It was one of the original group of badges from 1911.
    Wow... homophobic much?
    I was very proud of the Girl Scouts organization for making it their public policy to accept every girl. Sadly it is because of the Boy Scouts' opposite policy that I cannot support the Boy Scouts. While I think most of what they do is great, their anti-gay core beliefs go against everything I believe in.
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithfizz View Post
    Wow... homophobic much?
    I was very proud of the Girl Scouts organization for making it their public policy to accept every girl. Sadly it is because of the Boy Scouts' opposite policy that I cannot support the Boy Scouts. While I think most of what they do is great, their anti-gay core beliefs go against everything I believe in.
    ITA, except it's not a symptom of homophobia. Gender identity has absolutely NOTHING to do with sexual orientation. The Girl Scouts should include every girl, and every girl is any individual who identifies as female. Also, Trakehner, transgender is not the same as transvestite. Get over yourself.

Unhappy

Thanks for all the replies.
    I guess I will try the Boy Scouts & pursue what avenues I can with the Girl Scouts.
    Just sticks, these programs helped my business & got a lot of kids exposed to horses.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeswithfizz View Post
    Wow... homophobic much?
    Jeeze, got a personal problem. A tranvestite is not a homosexual. Nothing homosexual about it..and a phobia is an irrational fear vs. finding something illegal/immoral or disgusting. The Girl Scouts allowed in a transexual boy, he does not belong in the Girl Scouts just because he likes dressing as a girl....or do you feel transexual males should be able to use the ladies bathrooms too? Same thing.

The Boy Scouts are not anti-sodomite. The don't want homosexual males as scout leaders. The most important responsibility is to protect the boys from adult male homosexual paedophiles who would use access to these boys to prey on them...and any male having sex with another male is homosexual, not just a generic child molestor.

I'm sure NAMBLA would be glad to have a group for boys.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Please return this thread to the horse-related aspects of the discussion.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

Default Girl Scouts

They may not have a badge or the funds that they used to pay but it is still a great way for US (the Horse Community) to introduce horses to those that may never have that opportunity.

That just makes me sad . We are really pushing kids away from farming and other vocational studies in school these days.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.eVetPractice.com - talk to me about your veterinarian practice management and farm management needs!

I wonder if the economy made it a less popular badge to pursue?

I remember that in my town, GS/BS both tended to be a lower income activity and my GS toop at least was pretty committed to only pursuing badges (as a troop) that were virtually free, so as not to exclude. Maybe that made it a less popular badge for other troops too? Or maybe they sold a lot more cookies than we did . . . :-)

Even if there isn't a badge, it's still a fun thing for girls to do with horses.

The girl scout camps in Northern California still have a couple of very strong riding programs.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket