The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question jointed stirrup irons

I need stirrup irons for my dressage saddle, and am interested in jointed irons. Is this a 'you get what you pay for' thing? I'm finding Sta-Brite jointed irons for as low as $22, and no brand name ones on eBay for $35. Would one of those work just fine? From there the prices jump quite a bit, however I cannot bring myself to spend $150 on irons.

I don't think I *need* them (my knees are not injured), but it's more that I think I'd like them.

Or... should I get regular irons and be done with it.

I have some "no-name" ones I bought at Equine Affaire for $30-$40 and they were fine. I still have them, I used them for probably 4 years of 4x/week riding with no issues. I switched back to solid irons (had them on my jump saddle) because I felt they were allowing me to goose my horse too much when I was working on solidifying my leg. I don't know if the "real" ones are better, but I found mine worked just fine!

My fillis irons are on my dressage saddle, because I feel jointed irons don't support my leg as well. I use jointed ones on my jump saddle. I have the herm sprenger four ways. I really like them.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHorselover View Post
    I felt they were allowing me to goose my horse too much when I was working on solidifying my leg.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    My fillis irons are on my dressage saddle, because I feel jointed irons don't support my leg as well.
    And there is my answer. I'll pick up regular fillis irons next week. I'd rather have good legs.

Thank you!

I have a pair of knock-off jointed irons and a pair of Herm Sprengers. I think the cheap ones are just fine. I only have the HS brand because they came with a saddle I bought years ago.

In fact, would you mind sharing some links? I'd like to buy another pair of el-cheapos so I can have them on all three saddles.

It's a matter of personal preference, so you won't know if you like them until you try them. I find them much more comfortable than standard irons. They allow my ankles to flex and they help me keep my leg softer and quieter.

I have some cheap ones from SLT. I like them. I have lower back issues, and have had knee surgery, and I really like them. But they're not for everyone.

I got mine from Big Dee's. They were around $30? I've ridden in them for a while and they have held up just fine - I really like them, in fact.

I believe MDC will send out trial irons and sells seconds. Smart Pack also has a generous return policy.I have a bad ankle and love my MDC Intelligent irons
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

The first jointed I ever rode in were HS, but I couldn't afford those (borrowed tack), so bought the knockoffs.

You'll either LOVE them or HATE them; there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

I love mine. I even have all black jointed stirrups on my black saddle.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Something I haven't seem anyone mention yet...

The knock-offs only have a touch of bend, so they aren't nearly as noticeable as the HS.

I have a bad ankle and found when I used my friend's HS jointed stirrups, they made me feel very unstable. They bend a lot easier. If you go to a tack store and check out the cheapos vs the $150+ stirrups, you'll feel the difference just in your hands and the way they bend.

I personally prefer the cheapos, they have just enough bend to relieve the stress and pressure on my bad ankle and not so much as to make me feel insecure or wobbly.

I want to update my earlier comment about the knock-offs. I took a good look at them and the rubber wrapping is starting to fall apart. They're also making an annoying crackling sound. These knock-offs are about four-five years old and do not have nearly the miles as the Herm Sprengers.

The Herm Sprenger stirrups are around 12 years old, heavily used and still in perfect condition. I think I will save my money or look for a deal and get another pair of these when I can afford them.

I also agree that the HS stirrups are more flexible than the knock-offs.