The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lost Labrador, Saco, Maine FOUND HIM FOUND HER, EVERYONE'S SAFE

Can anyone help us find George? 2 years old, 95 lbs, sweet, gentle giant Yellow Lab. He ran off on a jaunt with his Beagle friend yesterday and neither one has shown up at home yet. Flyers are in all the local mailboxes and gas stations. Home Again has sent 'lost dog' posters to all vets and police in the area. We are getting pretty desperate. Thanks.
    Last edited by RiverBendPol; Jan. 25, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Is the beagle yours or a neighbors? If not yours check with his owner to find the beagles favorite haunts.

If your dog had other friends, get the other friend on a leash and try tracking with him leading. He might find them but his presence may bring out dogs that have lost their bearings and are scared.
    I once found a cat by walking on a leash the mother cat. Both were adults, but the daughter cat was too scared to come out of her hiding place for us, she came out for the other cat.

oh no not another lost dog, hope you find them both soon

that area of maine you might want to post further out in nearby and distant towns. Most everyone drives distances (like the closest walmart over in nh) and they would think nothing of driving through saco. particularly hit the ski places even as far as bethel. many of the skiers drive for shopping through saco and would be inclined to notice dogs loitering on the way.
    good luck

Hey Pol,
    I am sure you already have, but check in with the West Kennebunk Animal Shelter and all local vets just in case someone brought George in...we'll keep on the look out... yellow lab amber alert... G

HE'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!
    Thanks, guys, for all your suggestions. I just heard another trick-leave a coat or article of well worn clothing near the place where the dog left you, he will return to it...
    We have all our dogs micro chipped and the HOME AGAIN network helped us find George. Thank Goodness! What an amazing service. If your pets aren't chipped, get it done NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    HE'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!)
    YAAAAAY!! Good news on a bad news day.

yaaaaay!!!! So glad to hear he's back! We lost our golden for 5 days once & it was totally heart-wrenching. Someone found him grazing on blueberries by the side of the road & called us!
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe

Thumbs up For equine and canine microchips.

Found a collarless dog once, a walking icicle, on a country road miles from my home. Got him to a local shelter.

His owners found him 2 days later after thinking he was dead. Someone finally showed up at the shelter with a chip reader.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Dear God, I almost DIED when I read this! Thank God George is home already. I would have dropped everything and taken Betty up to help find her gorgeous brother! Oh my word, you and Kate must have been beside yourselves.

I'm still breathing hard. Must calm down. Oh dear, please change the title!
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

HE'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!
    Thanks, guys, for all your suggestions. I just heard another trick-leave a coat or article of well worn clothing near the place where the dog left you, he will return to it...
    We have all our dogs micro chipped and the HOME AGAIN network helped us find George. Thank Goodness! What an amazing service. If your pets aren't chipped, get it done NOW!
    Glad he is home. I must live near you, we got one of the Home again flyers in our mailbox. It hasn't been good weather for a dog to be out in.
    ~Katelyn~

How about the beagle buddy, soft spot for both breeds. Glad to hear George got scanned and found or vice versa!
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Beagle buddy is also home! She was walking (she doesn't walk) down the middle of the road the next day. SAME MAN who found and caught George was driving in his truck. He stopped and got out. He said, "You must be Squashie!" (she was wearing her blaze orange vest with her name and #s on it) She bared her teeth at him, skirted around behind him, hopped into his truck and sat herself on the front seat-"Home, James!" He brought her home, she is still exhausted. The knobby pads at the back of her front legs are degloved and she is very stiff. She lost 5 pounds-she probably ran 3 or 4 times the distance George covered. She's having a little Rymadil to take the edge off and I'm sure she'll be back at it soon. She better not behave like this in Aiken.

KateandKc-we put a flyer in every mailbox on Simpson, Lord, Dennett Farm, Joy Valley and the part of the Buxton Road between JV and Simpson. I wish I could tell all those people we were OK without having to put a new flyer in every mailbox! We had them up at Hannies, Aubuchon, Tory Hill and Hillview as well! A media blitz!

Mary, I can't figure out how to edit the title. Help!

Mary, I can't figure out how to edit the title. Help!
    edit your first post Go advanced
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

How about putting up a FOUND flyer on a few telephone poles, the stores, etc.
    I always appreciate it when I see the 'found' posters.

If your dogs get lost in Aiken, I think you are around the corner, so I will keep a look out.
    Glad everyone is home.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld