The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine Acupuncture- Yes or No?

I'm considering looking into acupuncture for our OTTB-
    He sees a Chiropractor but I'm suspicious of possible SI issues. I discussed my concern with my Vet and she wasn't convinced it was a problem. and though there has been minor adjustments to him in that region in the past by the Chiropractor I was told it was anything major. But after reading a multitude of other people's experiences with SI issues, I keep thinking it's what our guy is dealing with, even if just a little.
    So has anyone used Acupuncture to help SI issue or even just in general? What is the average cost as I have no idea...

Thanks
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

IMO it's best to have a diagnosis before you choose a treatment!

I have used accupuncture for back pain, including SI, but if the back/SI pain is indicative of something lower down, then it will only provide temporary relief, so I usually do a full lameness exam first and get anything lower down treated and happy first.

SI issues are nothing to piddle around with, IMO. Get a firm diagnosis and treat aggressively.

I have used acupuncture exactly twice. Once, my vet was evaluating my horse for a lameness that turned out to be a slow-to-manifest abscess. He stuck some needles in her "ting points" when I wasn't looking and when I asked what the H*LL he was doing (we have a great relationship of mutual respect for one another's beliefs--he has them and I don't when it comes to acupuncture) he told me he was "letting out the demons". He didn't charge me for the exorcism, the abscess worked its way out a week later, no harm, no foul.

Second time was actually on the recommendation of COTHers whom I respect: a newborn pony colt developed an acute radial nerve palsy and rather than euthanize him (it was BAD) I allowed one electro-acupuncture treatment. He got better. Probably spontaneously, but the treatment couldn't have hurt and is one of the specific indications where consensus seems to feel it may help.

For an SI issue I would get an expert sports-medicine vet out and have a very low threshold for injections. From experience.
    Click here before you buy.

Unlike DW, I am a big fan of acupuncture. My vet incorporates it into her bodywork every time she works on my horses. But in saying that I really like acupuncture, I should say that I really like it as a component of the "whole picture," and feel that it complements the chiro work that my vet does very nicely. I don't know if I would feel the same about acupuncture without corresponding chiropractic.

The funny thing is that my husband rolls his eyes at almost everything I do with my horses (including shoeing them....he's as non-horsey as they come!). But he slipped a disc many, many years ago, and ended up at an acupuncturist and it's now the only treatment he believes in for anything. So he totally "gets" why my vet does acupuncture, but rolls his eyes at her chiropractic (and other assorted vet work)

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    Unlike DW, I am a big fan of acupuncture. My vet incorporates it into her bodywork every time she works on my horses. But in saying that I really like acupuncture, I should say that I really like it as a component of the "whole picture," and feel that it complements the chiro work that my vet does very nicely. I don't know if I would feel the same about acupuncture without corresponding chiropractic.

The funny thing is that my husband rolls his eyes at almost everything I do with my horses (including shoeing them....he's as non-horsey as they come!). But he slipped a disc many, many years ago, and ended up at an acupuncturist and it's now the only treatment he believes in for anything. So he totally "gets" why my vet does acupuncture, but rolls his eyes at her chiropractic (and other assorted vet work)
    What you said! Totally agree. Chiro and acupuncture together can get amazing results.

I agree with both..I've worked extensively with a top chiro/vet in the area, and he always does acupuncture too-it helps to hold the adjustment longer and helps relieve the pain.
    Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
    http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]