The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Pros/Cons of Tildren???

My vet recommended trying Tildren on my horse. I have no personal experiences and when I googled it, it was nothing but positive. Surely, it isn't all rosie otherwise everyone would be using it, right?

My OTTB is 27 year old, looks NO older than 15, and is full of life! He has arthritis in his back, stifles and hocks and vet said that rather injecting all that, that this drug would be ideal. I would do anything to keep this guy happy and comfortable for as long as possible.

Please post your experiences!!!!
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

I have used it for my OTTB with navicular changes and arthritic hocks. He has had two rounds of it and lasted about one year each time. It was expensive, about $1,000 each time. My vet came to inject every day IV for 10 days.

There is some reasonably strong published evidence that Tildren is helpful in treating navicular syndrome and hock arthritis, but it is used off-label for anything else. There really hasn't been any long-term follow up on its efficacy, but anecdotal reports have been quite positive. Additionally, it functions to stop osteoclastic resorption and remodeling of bone, but doesn't provide the anti-inflammatory and lubrication effects of normal steroid+HA joint injections. So, overall it may decrease the progression of OA but do less the decrease the pain associated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren12 View Post
    TThere really hasn't been any long-term follow up on its efficacy, but anecdotal reports have been quite positive. Additionally, it functions to stop osteoclastic resorption and remodeling of bone...
    Hence why we see ectopic bone formation in the mandible and a new class of brittle fractures in humans who are on this class of drugs. You can't just stop bone remodeling without generating increased microfractures from everyday function.

There is very good long term follow up in humans (similar bone physiology/biology). I suspect we will see increased whacky fractures in horses and bone malformations as time goes along and more use.

2 members found this post helpful.