The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spring Myopia Hunter Pace- anyone going?

I seriously want to do this year's Myopia spring hunter pace.

However, I've never done one, and neither has my horse.

He is a seasoned show horse that's pretty unflappable on the trails, alone or with company. Have no doubt he'll be OK, but since we're both new to it I'd like to keep a slower pace with jumps optional.

Perhaps Myopia is the wrong venue for this

Anyone going?? Anyone who could be enticed to go?? I have my own transportation so am not asking to bum a ride

And yes, this is my alter since I'm going to be meeting peeps in real life

Oh, and what is the dress code for the spring hunter pace??!!

I'm really, really hoping to go, but my ride and riding partner has to work that week-end (usually the Spring pace is earlier! Darn it!) and is not sure she'll be able to switch...so if I don't have a ride I won't go.

Dress code...just your regular riding attire. I typically wear breeches, paddock boots with chaps, a polo shirt, and a helmet.

You do not have to jump anything you're not comfortable with. Just enter the hilltop division. It's a great pace with very nice jumps and beautiful country.

I really, really hope we can go!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I can't make it this year, but have been to several of the Myopia paces. They're awesome, but not necessarily a good place to start. There will be tons of riders, and the folks in the field division will be riding FAST! You should plan on being passed at a full gallop by a team of 2-3 horses.

If your guy is pretty calm, and you don't care about placing, do what Sophie said and enter hilltop. All fences will be optional, but the ideal pace is still quick. You'll ride through their schooling field, which is amazing!

FYI - I took my then three year old Arab to this as his first hunter pace. We went with a friend on an experienced horse to babysit, and kept a slow pace (no jumping that time).

It was fine, and we had a great time. Just be aware that horses can get pretty up at this event, because there's a lot going on. If that will make you or your horse nervous, do another pace this Spring, and wait for the Myopia Fall pace.

I've always done light breeches, and a collared shirt. You'll see people in full hunting attire at this pace, but it's certainly not required.

I'm not going to go to the Spring Pace, my horse is coming back from an injury and won't be fit enough, bummer. I definitely want to go to the Fall Pace though. The Spring Pace is usually shorter, like 6 miles vs 10 miles in the fall, and as others have said, it is very popular and lots of horses going fast.

Last year I took my young horse (w/ 3 months of retraining from the track) to the Fall pace and we had a blast! He's pretty chill, so he wasn't too set off by the exciting warm up or the costumes. But, he did pick up some ticks and got Anaplasmosis. When we go back in November, I'm going to try what my vet recommended, which is spray his legs with spray Frontline (for dogs).

I wore boots, breeches and a black polar fleece. Of course, the photo of us from the pace was actually very nice, and made me wish I wore my hunt coat!

Default We'll be there!

I'm planning on going, as long as the weather is nice. I really hate riding in the rain. :P

Been attending the Wentworth and Myopia paces for the past few years now and they're awesome!

I think Myopia is a fine first pace. If you have a seasoned show horse, he's used to crazy warm up arenas, which is the most demanding part of the pace, I think.

Once you're on course, you occasionally will be passed, but (in my experience) with courtesy. Teams usually slow to a walk or trot and alway have asked if it was ok if they passed and visa versa. (I've never been passed at a gallop, or passed anyone at a gallop! That would be horribly inconsiderate)

The awards dinner is not to be missed, so if you can manage to stay, you should.

We've gone in hunt attire, in costume and just in our regular duds...you'll see it all. As long as you're well dressed to ride and are safe, wear what you feel like!

Oh, I hope the weather's going to cooperate.....

Here we are at their paces in the past:

Fall 2010
    Spring 2011

I don't have any photos of us from the Fall 2011 Myopia pace, but we were dressed in hunt attire and were awarded (I think 3rd) for "Best Hunt Attire", which was fun.

You should most definitely go.

I'm in and looking forward to it! It is worth it to ride their hunt country... Tough to win but who cares... its a fantastic ride!

Ugh, I keep seeing rain in the extended forecast. I sure do hope they're wrong. This would be our first outing for the year and I'd hate to miss it for soggy weather!

Thanks for all the replies!!

Yeah, I'm worried about all the mud. Turns out I may skip it this year

2B4B, the mud's not so bad.....it's the H2O falling from the sky that get's my panties in a bunch.

Fingers crossed for a dry day!

Default Photographer???

Hey, does anyone know who the other photographer was at the Myopia Pace last Sunday? I know Spectrum was there, but we ran past another guy in the woods shooting, so I was wondering who that might have been.....

Nevermind, a friend of mine pointed out who they were.

http://www.vephotography.com/galleries/

We're the "cover shot" for the album, cool.