The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Voting for USHJA zone board members, how do you choose?

Do you vote? If so, how do you decide who to vote for?

Sure would be nice to know where candidates stand on issues like 100 mile rule and prize money vs entry fees, marketing our sport and incentive programs.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Do you vote? If so, how do you decide who to vote for?

Sure would be nice to know where candidates stand on issues like 100 mile rule and prize money vs entry fees, marketing our sport and incentive programs.

Thoughts?
    You thought that group was a democracy?? LOL

Yes, you can vote if you are eligible.
    It's not like the candidates have debates and discuss their views on topics.
    Sometimes they run unopposed.
    Some bio info is made available but that's about it.

"Section 3. Eligibility to Vote. To be eligible to vote for or be elected to a Zone Committee, a person must be a Senior Active or Associate Member of USHJA, must have paid
    his or her dues by March 1, must have designated the applicable primary affiliation of Hunter or Jumper (hereinafter sometimes referred to as ¡§Hunter Members¡¨ or ¡§Jumper Members¡¨) and must have been a resident of the Zone for at least 350 days immediately preceding the date of the Zone Committee election except that in Zone 11 (Hawaii) and 12 (Alaska), a person otherwise eligible who designates a primary affiliation of either Hunter or Jumper shall nevertheless be eligible to vote for or be elected to the Zone Committee. USHJA Junior, Senior, and Life members will be counted as of November 30th of the prior year for purposes of determining the number of hunter or jumper members in a given zone.

Section 4. Election Process. In 2004, and every four years thereafter, each Zone shall elect a Zone Committee for a four year term commencing on or before November 1st of the same year. Election procedures shall be available thirty (30) days in advance of the beginning of the election process.
    i) The number of Hunter members residing in a given zone determines the initial elected size of the respective Zone Hunter Committee, except the Combined Zone Committees of Alaska and Hawaii.
    „h Less than 750 Hunter Members ¡K 3 Member Committee
    „h 750 ¡V 1499 Hunter Members ¡K¡K.5 Member Committee
    „h 1500 or more Hunter Members ¡K. 7 Member Committee"

I know I'm eligible to vote I just was wondering how people choose who they vote for because it seems as though unless you happen to know that person personally, you have no idea what they stand for. Unless I'm missing something on USHJA site where it gives a little insight into what these folks bring to the table.

My guess is most people just vote for someone whose name they recognize. True?

I think you are right TR, and people just vote for a name they are familiar with. Wouldn't it be nice if the candidates actually had a platform and announced it before the "elections"? That would be too democratic for USHJA. Anyway could you contact, via email maybe, or their websites, the people who are running and ask their opinions on subjects that concern you?

That might be a fun and interesting exercise. Come up with a form letter asking about how they plan to vote on certain issues. Why i should vote for them etc.

An idea which is long past due.

I think you should write a form letter asking for opinions on everything you can think of and then find a way to post it on the zone website. Many people will thank you.

I have always voted for people I knew, figuring that, if they had gotten themselves on the ballot, they must want to do it. So I was voting to make my friends happy, not for the betterment of the sport in my zone.

You GO,GIRL!
    Don't Worry About Hurting My Feelings Because I Guarantee You, Not One Bit Of My Self Esteem Is Tied Up In Your Acceptance.

I wonder if any of them would even bother to answer? Although that might help you decide how to vote, no vote for anyone who doesn't respond.

Anyone have any questions they'd like answered? Share them with me and I'll add them to my letter and then I'll share the letter. Anyone interested can send it to their zone candidates. Maybe we could have a thread that shows responses? Share the knowledge so to speak.

Great idea, prehaps you could send them an email (if you have their email address) and ask how they stand on the issues that are important to you.
    USHJA should consider asking Zone candidates their positions on the issues and post their responses on the website.