The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Proud New Mom Syndrome!! **Now WITH MORE VIDEO !!!**

OK I can't help it,

I just adore Petey.

It's a whopping 3 mins of cell phone video of my first ride on him. Yes the canter is a work in progress and yes we trip over a rail on the ground (a couple times) but I just think he's such a cuteypie!!

Enjoy!

And you all can critique as much as you like. It's the beginning of a long road. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUMLd...1&feature=plcp

~Emily
    Last edited by Xctrygirl; Jan. 21, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Congrats!

I also have a work in progress. The great thing is a few years from now when you look back and see how far you've come.

Have fun with your new guy!!

Thanks Mk. He was a star today as will. Did very well lunging in the outdoor and even figured out the side reins in one try! His canter was, as expected, MUCH better with more space and gentler turns. He even stepped over a very small astroturf covered box a few times.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

He is SO FREAKING CUTE!!! Congrats!!

he's darling. Best of luck to you both. I love the love you are sharing about this guy!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Aww congrats, he's very cute! Watching that made me really want to go for a ride...
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Adorable. Thanks for sharing!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

He is just adorable and you can really see how nice he is going to be as he matures! Nice to see the praise and kindness - they really need it at that age to ensure willingness. You look like a soft rider, I guess I just like to see a bit more give in the reins when they are this green, but you know how much of a feel you were taking. It's so important that they learn "forward", but I know they also need help steadying/balancing too, so it is a fine line as to how much contact they have.

I really like this horse - I think you have a great one there!

AWE! he IS a CUTIE-PIE!

I think we are really being treated here to an incredible, one-of-a-kind inside look at what horses do, and how they are learning from us, when they come off the track. Many thanks to Xctry for letting us in on her wonderful new pony!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

He is super cute! I loff the big ears.

Look at this! I didn't know they printed it!
    http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/20...ing-good-news/
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Now it's officially a disease!!!

Ok clips from Petey's 3rd ride and his first attempts at "jumping"

Enjoy as you like!!

In the future Petey will have his own blog or page where we'll centralize his pics and videos. It's just too early for me to think of where. :-)

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cOt4akmi1k

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXoI..._order&list=UL

Part 3: http://youtu.be/Udf-twIVD4c (Have to re load this one as the wrong video #3 is up currently. Should be good after 8 am )

Part 4 (jumping) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJVWS...1&feature=plcp

To answer the earlier comment, he's very soft in the mouth and right now I am trying to alternate between holding a yoke and going in a soft bridge as I used to do at the track, and regular single rein holds. All of this is done intentionally to lay a foundation for "galloping" cross country while holding the reins in a bridge and using a single hold during regular rides.. He is still on a soft feel though.

Emily

What a lovely sensible type! The kind I would have chosen for myself.

Funny thing 3dazey

We went and saw him last Sunday, 1/15/12. His last race was 12/21/11 and he'd been out of training for 4-5 days. So basically locked in a stall and hand walked once a day for 10 mins. It was 16 degrees outside. We stood with him in the stall and looked him over. The woman took him out and walked him to the wash pad outside the barn where we looked at him in the sunshine. Then he did maybe 2 turns of the barn shedrow with attempts at trotting in hand when he wasn't bucking because the others horses were trying to bite him, and lets face it, he was happy to be doing anything! He was a nice mover when not bucking. All told we spent maybe 7-10 mins with him, and that was it.

We loved what we saw and our gut feelings (John and mine) just said "do it."

I'd say it was pure luck. He is a lovely horse and a worthy "little brother" to the great and powerful Lad. It also didn't hurt that Lad likes him too. Of course that came after we paid for him... but it's still a positive thing.

~Emily

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Look at this! I didn't know they printed it!
    http://www.horsejunkiesunited.com/20...ing-good-news/
    Emily- Thanks you for your comment on the article! Posted it on HJU's FB page with your jumping video this morning...everyone is loving it.

Holley and Patricia thank you.

And for anyone else who wants to follow along, Petey now has his own FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/PeteyCap

Thanks again

~Emily

hi em... update on my new girl. i rode her for the first time yesterday since she came home last monday. no indoor and weather has not permitted. she also sounds a little more up than lovely petey. i lunged her first and omg!!! i knew i loved her trot at the track. seriously,,, the groom trotted her up and down once on the shedrow and i said, i'll take her. not even seven minutes of thinking. i didn;t bother with a vetting. i rarely do with these ottb's.

she is probably one of the best movers i have had. super comfortable and light in the bridle. she did a hi ho silver maneuver but only at the urging of my other grey ottb who was galloping and bucking around the ring for he lives in the ring field. and we certainly were up there for a while. however, she settled and the little grey boy went into time out. note to self, put silly geldings away before you ride the new ottb outside. she even went right over ground poles which my barn owner thoughtfully put out for us and a giant puddle. woo hoo...future eventer!!!! i will post pixs and video as soon as i can.

keep in touch em. love to hear about you and petey.

He is so cute! I love him!

Well after last night it's time to start buckling down and getting some lunging and flatwork going.

He was a star and jumped all the itty bitty jumps in the outdoor. This included trotting through a 10 foot puddle in front of the rolltop and jumping out over said rolltop to leave the "water." Oh and did I mention the flower rail on the ground in front of the rolltop. Seriously. Never blinked.

So we'll rest on our laurels a bit and switch over to building muscles and learning about foot placements with ground rails and cavalettis. (This is typically how I start a young ottb. Not saying everyone should, but it's worked well for me)

So we'll be jumpless for a while so he can get some more tools in his box to be able to jump better in the long run. And he may take a few trips to the Laurels to play on some hills also.

We might have some video of last night... it was stuck on a blackberry at last check. If it becomes available I will post. He is just such a neat neat neat little horse.

Emily