The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default While we are all on the dog food topics....

I am trying to get an idea of how much canned food should be fed per day.

Right now we are feeding our dogs Diamond Naturals chicken and rice ( a 4 star food on http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...rals-dog-food/ )

I am feeding boxers.
    One 65lb female...very active. Heavily muscled
    One 70lb female, in good weight not quite as active.
    One 70lb male, active but overweight. Thinks he is starving constantly. Has a poop eating problem. Seems to have acid reflux? (acts just like I do)

All of them get SynerG with each meal. Really does help curb the poop eating. ( http://www.entirelypets.com/synerg1.html )

I want to try to estimate how much we would go thru to compare pricing. The canned food would be low in carbs, which would help the boy loose weight, and maybe help with the constant hunger. When I worked in a pet shop I was 'trainedt' that the manufacturers recommendation was high as they were trying to sell product.

Just compare calories of what you are feeding now to calories of what you want to switch to.

For example:

I feed my 70 lb Ridgeback 2 1/2 cups of Pinnacle Peak every day. Per the bag, it's 500 kcal per cup. She's getting 1250 kcal per day.

If I wanted to switch her to, say... Before Grain 96% Chicken canned food, I'd need to cover the same amount of calories. According to the website, a 13 oz can is 374 kcal. I'd have to feed her about 3 1/3 cans a day to meet her current calorie requirements.

well that just makes too much sense!

Thanks for the help.