The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Courbette Stylist

I am looking for someone else, and ran across a Courbette Stylist for sale in their price range. I'm not familiar with this saddle, but cannot figure out if it's a CC or an AP.

It has no marking other than "The Stylist" (no power, no wide seat, etc.) and has a square cantle. Picutures of the actual saddle make it hard to tell much, but seems to have forward-ish flaps. It's listed as a "CC Eventing" saddle on a couple of sites. Anyone know this one?
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

The Stylist was a fairly big deal in the hunter world back in the early 80's. It's a good old fashioned flat saddle with no padding on the flaps.

Does it have knee rolls/padded flaps? I believe there is an older one (like fourmares described) but they also have a newer model with padded flaps. The old ones were close contact. They were hard as a rock! I still liked mine and rode in it for years.

That is a Stylist I, as opposed to a Stylist II. The Stylist I was built without the designation I, but it was included after they introduced the II. The I has the square cantle, and a flatter seat. NO flap padding. I've had mine since 1978, and it is still my favourate saddle. The II has a deeper seat, and a round cantle, though I think the flap is the same, flat.

I rode in mine for 20 years or so, no padding in flaps, flat seat, really good for developing a strong leg position. One caveat, I found it to be fairly narrow. Worked great on my OTTB, no so much for subsequent horses, finally gave it away. But it was an excellent saddle.

I have a couple of them (one was mine and one was my mom's until she quit riding and gave it to me). I'm not sure which (I or II), but they're from the late 90s maybe as late as 2000? I dislike them. I don't find them well balanced and think they're hard and slippery (in the bad way....which I add since I have other old saddles that are hard and slippery but balanced well that I really like). I use mine on my babies as "breaking saddles" now.

I did ride in mine for 5 or 6 years taking me from when my then-youngster was just getting broke to the point that he was showing in the big GPs. So it's not like it did anything awful to my position....I just never liked it.

I don't know if they had CC and AP models of the saddle, so someone else will have to answer that. But the Courbette Stylists I have are close contact.

this one appeared newer (as in almost new) and had knee rolls and an adjustable thigh block.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.