The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default crossing billets

Saw in a saddle fitting video the girl crossed her billets. Why would you do this?

The Schleese rep told one of my students to saddle that way. I think the model she has is made to be done that way (but not 100% sure). I have als heard it being used on saddles that slide forward.

When I was having a bad time with my Hennig sliding forward, the saddle fitter told me crossing the billets would help prevent the slippage. Unfortunately, it makes tightening the girth from the saddle darn near impossible. I eventually went to a Le Tixerant girth which was the only thing I ever tried (& I tried a lot) that prevented the saddle from moving. Interestingly, my new Stubben Genesis doesn't slide forward at all. Go figure.

I was also told to try this by my saddle fitter. Supposedly it will help equalize the pressure between the front & rear, and prevent the saddle from slipping forward.

There's probably a more technical explanation, but that's how it was explained to me. My issue was that the saddle would shift slightly forward on my wide-shouldered Arab with almost no withers.

I switched to an anatomical girth, and that solved the problem for me.

Be careful doing this unless you KNOW your saddle is fitted correctly. The front billet crossing to the back can jam the front of the saddle/pommel down tightly. It may not shift anymore, but it may cause problems down the road. Just my experience.

NJR

PS...I cross my billets after a saddler very carefully showed me how and what to look for to be sure it was right on that particular horse.
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.