The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Remember Hot Jazz?

Lookit him now.

Hot Jazz

I have popcorned my own thread. Now have attit!

Erin Brinkman was there recently as well, also training with Zettl.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24P4GPODDgY

Zettl talking about the horse, etc.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

and http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Not so bad for a person just starting to learn it... Because that really is what she is.

Im sure she is asking herself like we all did... Why is this so much harder than it looks? lol Or Wait a minute... Why cant I just go sideways or do lead changes... Why must they be in balance ,rhythm, and relaxation again?

Collection is not the neck?

I am sure she is realizing that her dreams of SHOWING the dressage people how well her training would cross over were kinda pipe-ish.

When I first started dressage I had that exact same idea... Ive been riding forever... It doesnt look so hard or different...

If it was easy everyone would be at the Olympics like how everyone can sack a horse out or lunge them...

If you get the chance to ride with Erin Brinkman take it. She has done a fabulous job with my friends horses. Also I love that all of her horses are just so happy & relaxed. You don't see pissy horses when you walk down the aisles. At the Region 3 Champs, while other FEI riders were having to be led down the racetrack to get back & forth to the show rings, Erin & student were racing down the track, Erin on a stallion & student on her horse. They were celebrating after having ridden great tests. Lots of good vibes & correct training & horse care in her barn.
    Personally I wish Linda Parelli would take from Erin but glad that both got a chance to ride again with Walter Z.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Is this another "owner saved from a dangerous horse" story?

^
    No, I believe that she bought Hot Jazz from Yancey Farms.
    "the waist is not a joint" I MUST REMEMBER THIS!

But, but I thought that Linda knew the "magic formula" to put any horse immediately on the bit...

^Apparently it's "pull back".

Below is a comment from photos posted of Erin Brinkman's lesson....Just irked me a bit.
    "has Walter and Linda given Erin Brinkman the Parelli seal of approval for us to watch her and use for a correct picture in our mind alongside the GOC....it would be nice to have someone to follow in the competition world "

In other news...anyone else really hoping that the breeches Linda is wearing will be found on ebay soon?
    (Kidding of course!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    I actually thought the breakthrough one looked pretty good

She has improved, you can see her riding Hot Jazz in the video that fairthewell posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24P4GPODDgY

My reservation is that she isn't nearly to the level that she can say that she completely decoded contact. Nomioni1's post #4 says it best, she is still just learning.

Reddfox,

Sure she has improved. The only thing is ... that isn't Linda in the video. That is her "apprentice".

Quote Originally Posted by Reddfox View Post
    She has improved, you can see her riding Hot Jazz in the video that fairthewell posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24P4GPODDgY

My reservation is that she isn't nearly to the level that she can say that she completely decoded contact. Nomioni1's post #4 says it best, she is still just learning.
    Oh ABSOLUTELY!

Lets be honest... Her leg up in the world (dressage wise), is a very nice horse, and good instruction.

Still watching her go around I feel like she is not getting nearly the hands on training she needs to understand that feeling of in front of the leg to a soft hand. She is SO lucky to have that horse

She is right where she needs to be in her training IMO, but there isnt much other than a good horse and good training to fast track those good ole westerny hands (ask me how i know AQHA girl here born and raised lol) into soft following ones.

If she had someone really pushing her more to get on and off of horses with the correct momentum and feel, and a trainer that is in your face grabbing reins and placing your hands over and over... Maybe she MIGHT be further along. But its a road we must travel...

You cant go from training all your life to teach horses to move away from pressure and then make them suddenly understand the need for your horse to partner with you...

Dressage will humble even the proudest of people I swear

Our famous line around the barn is "They dont know what they dont know". Meaning if you have never felt it, never had the eye to see it... Then you ARE missing nothing because to you its not real/there.

Discussing the desert with a penguin is what you get when discussing dressage with a western pleasure person (ask me AGAIN how I know that )

Quote Originally Posted by Old Mac Donald View Post
    Reddfox,

Sure she has improved. The only thing is ... that isn't Linda in the video. That is her "apprentice".
    Oh scheisse...mea culpa! And here I was trying to say something nice.

You can see her improvement in the "breakthrough" video.