The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your Opinion on Chiropractic?

My four year old gelding jumped a 6 foot pasture gate from a stand still and landed on it. He didn't end up with any problems except a couple of small scratches. My vet suggested that I have a chiropractor come and make sure everything is "correctly placed". I've never used a chiropractor before and I'm not sure what to expect.
    FYI horse is stiff on the right side when turning.
    Any good or bad experiences with chiropractors? Your opinion on how helpful(or not) it was etc.
    Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't let a chiro who is not also a vet touch my horse. I know some, and they are dangerous crackpots. There may be some who are great, but I've seen enough scary ones to not go there.

That said, chiropractic is excellent for my horse. He forgot to slow down when taking a turn in turnout and ended up getting everything out of whack after the slide he took. I can feel a huge difference in him when he needs work, and have tiny telltale signs which indicate when it's time again. He also makes it obvious it helps - first time I met my chiro, my horse walked up and stuck his head into him for cuddles. He'd worked on him in the past, and my horse made it clear that was someone who makes him feel good.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I think for occasional things that get "out of whack" such as you're describing, a chiropractic treatment can be just the ticket. I would also not use one who was not a vet.

As to whether it is necessary for all horses on a routine basis, or do I think that chiropractic treatment can have effects on non-musculoskeletal problems or disorders, well . . . I refer you to my signature line.

As a very focused modality I think it's great. It is almost certainly not going to hurt the horse to have a competent and qualified practitioner look him over. Just don't sign up for any gadgets or products.
    Click here before you buy.

Agreed, i have used a chiropracter on my horse for a long time, but both were vets. Its of great use and can make a sore horse feel a lot better and save you from furthur issues down the road.

I've seen very good results. Make sure you check references/go by trusted word of mouth though.
    Quarry Rat

My Chiro is also a vet and I could not be happier with him. My regular vet was unable to diagnose her subtle signs of EPM where the chiro did immediatly. After following his plan of medication and slow return to work he was amazed at how well she turned out. I have him recheck her every 8-10 weeks when he is in the area. I can always feel the difference undersaddle back is loose and swings

The chiro I use is also a vet and I've had great experiences with him. Both for a specific issue and then just general tune ups. I highly recommend a good chiro, but they can be hard to come by.

Chiro has an interesting history. Classically, it defines subluxations differently than does mainstream medicine, and ttributed all manner of physical and mental complaints to these invisible subluxations. Some chiros still believe what classical chiropractic asserts, some view chiropractic as a manual therapy that may have some benefits for some patients. Your mileage may vary. I've had a variety of experience with it and my best advice is to read up and ask smart questions. And tell the pony not to jump and land on gates anymore.

I use a kinesiologist. He is not also a vet but he is very well respected and I have never heard a bad thing about him. Definitely go by word of mouth from someone you trust.

Chiro is a great treatment when done by a vet that is good. I certainly don't let someone other then a vet touch my horse when it comes to chiro. There are just to many scary people out there pretending to be able to do chiropractic on horses that are human chiropractors. Those are usually the ones where you get the mallets and things like that!

Not all are created equal. Contact the AVCA for a recommendation.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Depends on the chiro, I love my horse's chiropractor, and he is not a vet. My vet also does some chiropractic, but not a much. It depends on the person, there is no one-size-fits-all.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Mine is a vet as well. I would definitely look for references and accrediting. There are some real winners out there. My Chiro/vet friend was with me at an expo and there was a woman selling a video for a how to chiro and we listened to her pitch - it was just downright scary what she was saying
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Not all are created equal. Contact the AVCA for a recommendation.
    I would not use the AVCA for recommendations. It means nothing more then they went to school. Get better references then that.

My chiro is not a vet, though was/is a human chiro before getting into horses (and rode/used to ride, so was also familiar with horses to begin with).

Not all vets who are also chiros are good chiros. Not all chiros who are not vets are bad chiros.

As with anyone else you choose to work on your horse - vet, farrier, dentist, etc - do some homework. Find out who your vet knows, if anyone. They might have a client who uses a chiro. Word of mouth is much better than just picking one at random out of a book or listing.

Yes, I would say this would be of help to your horse. If it helps ME so much? There is no reason why a good chiro could not do the same for your horse. Just ask around, talk to people, and talk to the chiro before you have them come out, that way you have an idea of who would work/not work. :-)
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Love our vet/chiro. Would suggest it to anyone... I only wish I could afford to also send myself to the human chiropractor lol.

We have had real good things come out of chiro appointments. In your situation I think I would give it a try. Please do your homework if you decide to go that route. We had to look a long time before we found one that met our criteria. Sadly, there's a lot of nuts out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Love our vet/chiro. Would suggest it to anyone... I only wish I could afford to also send myself to the human chiropractor lol.
    I wish I had known I needed to see one - would have saved myself frustration in my riding!

I think for the most part subluxations tend to be hogwash. In the mainstream sense it means misalignments, and chiros can help horses and people with that. Theoretically just good massage and stretches should do that, but I know for over a decade my SI joints were misaligned and not moving anywhere until one day I woke up in massive pain... and my chiro helped. And now I have movement several inches lower in my back than I used to!

Knowing my horse injured HIS SI joint tells me he can use chiro to make sure all's aligned well, too. My vet/chiro I use does a basic soundness check while he's there and looks for any other problems while he's at it. I figure making sure nothing needs aligning and having someone more experienced make sure my horse is sound is not a bad thing, ever.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Forgot to add, my chiro also isn't a vet, but she's been a human chiro for MANY years and is a well-respected horsewoman as well. The one before her though wasn't a vet and, although luckily she didn't do any harm, she didn't do one bit of good, either. My current one, every horse I've had goes all soppy and lovey-dovey on her, so obviously she at least does something that feels good. I can tell a difference after, too. She also uses a cold laser and the immediate relaxation the horse shows when she applies it is startling.
    Quarry Rat