The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default style but yet organized?

I don't know if i'm weird but when I lesson I have to have my hair up in a net (even for hacking) and I have to wear tall boots. I also always wear breeches (never jeans), a belt and a polo (occasionally a sweater). I was wondering if you could help me organize what should go with what.
    I currently have:
    Purple polo
    White polo
    Yellow polo
    Navy Polo
    Black polo
    Charcoal and Blue Sweater
    French Blue Breeches (worn with a white belt)
    Dark Olive Breeches (help me pick out a belt color)
    Espresso Breeches (worn with a red belt)
    Beige Breeches (worn with a black or brown belt)
    Which Polo colors would go best with which color breeches?
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears George Morris pajamas.
    This pretty much sums up everything!

Are you serious??

Quote Originally Posted by HorseLuvr View Post
    Are you serious??
    But really. Seriously?

I am with the other 2 posters...

me too, with the other posters...

Save this sort of trivial topic for the Off-Course forum, because honestly, this is irrelevant.

Le sigh.
    a horseless canuck...

Lighten up you guys, you know you were dying to hear the contents of someone's clothes closet.

Neat and tidy is a lifestyle. Wear your hair net. (Purple polo?)
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Cool Without putting too much thought into it...

I love a pop of color.

So pair a pop of color - breech, polo, sweater, belt - with more neutral options.

If you can manage to dress yourself for work/school/whatever each morning then surely you can figure out what color polo to wear? Its not rocket science, neat, clean and conservative always works.
    Last edited by BAC; Jan. 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM.

OMG

This is very, very serious business you guys.

OP, these are the keys to the look you seek. And they are in order. I'll omit the irrelevant stuff-- right brand of saddle, right horse and whether or not you can ride.

1) Hunter hair. Learn to do it with or without a mirror. Must be contained, must be symmetrical, must the trim over your ears. Figure out whether you are into earrings with that or not. It may be seasonal.

2) Clean leather and clothing. In theory, boots match belt color. That's a 1940s rule from shoes-n-handbags. Ignore it at your peril.

3) Belts are the horseman's jewelry. Don't skimp here. You can wear a $300 belt. They make $1,000+ belts. Good leather, sterling if you meant to have silver. You can also do needlepoint or ribbon or bling or whatever. Just think "take no prisoners"-- get the best quality version of the style you want and wear it without apology.

Colors of belts, breeches and shirts. The white belt? Only with a white polo and light breeches. Otherwise, I think you are doing Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack. The other breeches-- versions of khaki are, well, the khakis of the work place. They are neutral. You can where whatever color with those that goes with the shirt.

But if you wear a cheesy, dry-looking belt and do bad hair, I'll be coming for you.
    [/I].
    Last edited by mvp; Jan. 17, 2012 at 05:33 PM.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I am with the other, I don't know 5 posters...seriously? Just wear whatever you have.

Riding isn't a fashion show.

I worry more about what my horse looks like then what I look like.

Though I do agree with MVP, bad hairnet is the worst thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    This is very, very serious business you guys.

OP, these are the keys to the look you seek. And they are in order. I'll omit the irrelevant stuff-- right brand of saddle, right horse and whether or not you can ride.

1) Hunter hair. Learn to do it with or without a mirror. Must be contained, must be symmetrical, must the trim over your ears. Figure out whether your are into earrings with that or not. It may be seasonal.

2) Clean leather and clothing. In theory, boots match belt color. That's a 1940s rule from shoes-n-handbags. Ignore it at your peril.

3) Belts are the horseman's jewelry. Don't skimp here. You can wear a $300 belt. They make $1,000+ belts. Good leather, sterling if you meant to have silver. You can also do needlepoint or ribbon or bling or whatever. Just think "take no prisoners"-- get the best quality version of the style you want and wear it without apology.

Colors of belts, breeches and shirts. The white belt? Only with a white polo and light breeches. Otherwise, I think you are doing Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack. The other breeches-- versions of khaki are, well, the khakis of the work place. They are neutral. You can where whatever color with those that goes with the shirt.

But if you wear a cheesy, dry-looking belt and do bad hair, I'll be coming for you.
    [/I].
    *snicker* MVP, this is fabulous!
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

ask Tiffany! She will know for sure.

Unfortunately, there are people out there who have no sense of color mix/matching out there. There is one person in my life, out of hundreds, who can make my eyes bleed. She really needs help, but won't take it. Maybe the OP is like her, but knows she could use some help. Hence, not purchasing clothing as coherent outfits. Help her. It could be a public service .

I think as long as everything is clean, neat, and you aren't wearing bright colors you are okay.... And if you have to ask what color shirt to wear with your pants then I don't think you should be wearing bright polos and colored pants... maybe just stick to tan.

I needed a laugh, thanks!
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

Uuumm, whatever is clean and fits?

Between this and the VPL thread I'm starting to wonder if we need like a Glamour Section or something?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Uuumm, whatever is clean and fits?
    and by clean you mean, pick it up off the floor and see if it passes the smell test right?