The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old cat with chronic diarrhea/loose stools

I am hoping someone will have some ideas on how to help my cat...

I adopted my boy five years ago. He is now fourteen years old. About 6 months ago, the diarrhea and loose stools started. We went to the vet where they did a fecal and a complete blood panel. Everything was okay - vet diagnosed colitis and put him on Hill's prescription w/d (dry). Didn't do a thing. Next was antibiotics and steroids - again, nothing. Since then we've done literally everything to try to help him get his belly back into shape: switched him to i/d, FortiFlora, plain yogurt, I stopped the Hill's because I didn't like the ingredient list and tried a few different very premium foods to no avail, kitty kaopectate, tried only wet food (Tiki Cat brand), no wet food...I am at a loss. He is otherwise very healthy - he plays hard and he shines like pewter. He doesn't seem like he's itchy so I am unsure it's an allergy. The one thing I haven't done yet and I am researching is a raw diet...that will probably be our next step.

If you've experienced this with a cat please give me some ideas. It can't be fun having this problem all the time so I want to get him healthy...and he's quit using his litterbox to defecate and I rent, so this is a definite problem. My vet is one of the best and he wants to try prescription food and FortiFlora again, but I don't want to go that route again because it doesn't help. Any ideas to help my boy please? Thanks.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Sounds not unlike IBD: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/ibd.html

I successfully managed my IBD cat with Z/D for several years and now she's on the Before Grain 96% meat canned foods without issues.

Good luck!

Had this experience with an old cat...it was cancer...hope that isn't the case with your boy.

I do know my long-haired cat does this when he's unable to hurl the hairball sitting in his stomach. But that's sporatic, not an every day sort of thing.

When is the last time your boy got his teeth cleaned? I had a cat with chronic loose stools. The vet and I tried several different things, also. Then, I got her teeth cleaned, just because it was time, not because of the stool problem, and, almost immediately, the stool firmed right up. The vet figures that she had a low grade oral infection that was causing the problem.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Time for rads and/or ultrasound IMO.

Thanks everyone. The "c" word has been in the back of my mind because my cat has a cyst in what I call the "armpit" of his front leg that's always made me nervous - but my vet says it is non-cancerous and nothing to worry about and advises against removing it. The vet hasn't suggested rads or ultrasound...should I get a second opinion or insist on it from my current vet? This guy is considered one of the best in my area, in fact his practice is only for cats.

Thanks again.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05