The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default how to advertise/promote jumper

so please don't take this as advertising. I have a coming 7 year old that I bred and it is time for him to go to a new home. He was very successful in the young jumpers as a five year old( ribboned at devon, yj finals etc), had a light year at six as I was campaigning another. He will do the 7 year old jumpers this year. easy to ride (just came off trial with a kid and they said he was great, sale just fell through). Here's the catch, he's a tb and noone seems interested. I don't even get many calls on his ad. Where to advertise or send him to get sold that won't cost a fortune. does anyone good take horses at no cost just to make a commission and take the bills out at the end? Is there a good rider that needs a horse to show and would take over the bills and get him sold? I have others and can't afford to show them all!

I had the best luck selling a TB jumper mare by posting paper ads at the shows we were competing in. Ads anywhere people would be congregating: show office, show office door, food truck, by the courses posted at every ring. I made sure to post her show name in big bold letters and mentioned the divisions we were showing in at the current show so interested people could watch for her. Worked amazingly fast. I'd had an ad online and in a hunter/jumper newsletter for months and only received 3 inquiries. I had more than 10 people come up to me at the first show I had her for sale ad up and set up appointments for 4 people to come out and try her. She sold within a week!

Can you find someone to take him to even one show and try that? Are there any clinics in your area that a good rider could enter him in? If so, I'd do that and then sit in the stands and audit. Any time someone comments on him, "he's for sale".

I am a professional and do show him as well as a friend who is a grand prix rider. I have recently purchased a new young jumper and really want to concentrate on that one showing this year so this one needs to go. He will be showing in a few weeks, I will put up flyers, thanks!

Do you have a video on youtube? Now a days many people search for horses there. Make sure it is in the right category "animals and pets" Also use as many tag words as you can.....My trainer gets lots of inquiries from youtube and many of the vids are just horses in training that he posts for clients.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com