The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can my blanket be fixed? :( UPDATE - it's fixed! BIG thumbs up for LuckyHorse Cleaner

So my older gelding somehow got OUT of his brand new Amigo heavy today....all straps still connected and in tact...and it looks like the blanket was then attacked by a mountain lion Most likely it got tugged up over his head during a session of horsie blanket war! The underside/lining is ripped up the middle - almost the whole length, and stuffing is hanging out. Can it be re-lined and possibly restuffed? The outside looks okay (1200 denier). I got it from Smartpak - $170. UGH. It was SO warm and cozy on him. Ideas?
    Last edited by tpup; Jan. 20, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Not sure where you are located, but near Richmond, VA is a company that does an amazing job of blanket repair.

http://www.luckyhorsecleaners.com/default.html

They repaired several blankets for me this past summer. One I had thought was a goner because somehow the inside liner had become ripped and the lining had come out of the left hindquarter of the blanket. The other my horse rolled in a burn pile that obviously still had some hot spots. Both blankets look amazing. I couldn't have gotten replacements for what it cost me to clean, re waterproof and repair the 8 blankets I sent.

Thanks - I am in NoVA near Dover who I heard does repair...but this is pretty major as I think it will need to be restuffed somewhat...either way I am encouraged by your post Jawa! I'll definitely call Dover...has anyone else had one they thought was a goner??

Default timely thread for me.

i noticed today that the liner on my mare's 6 year old weatherbeeta medium weight is coming apart on the side in the back. i've never thought of repairing the liner on a turnout. how is that done so not to create seams which would then rub?

her turnout looks absolutely perfect on the outside so it'd be worth fixing it if it can be done without future worries about rubs.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I wonder who Dover sends the blankets to for repair. Ive used a great blanket cleaner in NoVA who also does repairs if needed, but I've never sent one that needed major repairs. Probably worth a call. Can I post her name and number here?

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    how is that done so not to create seams which would then rub?.
    I think they would have to replace the lining on the entire blanket...

Default replacing the entire liner

that's gotta be pricey.
    probably makes more sense to buy a whole new turnout.

tpup, if you get a quote for the repair on your turnout, please post here.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

The Clothes Horse did an excellent job of resurrecting my horse's turnout sheet from the dead after he skinned out of it (all buckles buckled, etc. but shredded the lining and a good portion of the outer.) No restuffing was necessary. I'm not sure if they do that.

It may work out being more sensible to buy him a new turnout. Horses!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

This is a fairly common repair. I take the binding, and surcingles off to seperate the lining from the exterior. Then patch the lining with a heavier ripstop that sews like a dream. Re-assemble and you are good to go. Cleaning and repair would ballpark around $45-$50.

Quote Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
    Then patch the lining with a heavier ripstop that sews like a dream.
    doesn't the patching create edges which can result in rubs?

I have never had a complaint or problem regarding lining patching. Todays blanket lining is like tissue paper and is easily torn or seperates.

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    Not sure where you are located, but near Richmond, VA is a company that does an amazing job of blanket repair.

http://www.luckyhorsecleaners.com/default.html

They repaired several blankets for me this past summer. One I had thought was a goner because somehow the inside liner had become ripped and the lining had come out of the left hindquarter of the blanket. The other my horse rolled in a burn pile that obviously still had some hot spots. Both blankets look amazing. I couldn't have gotten replacements for what it cost me to clean, re waterproof and repair the 8 blankets I sent.
    Thanks for the above recommendation. I mailed my blanket here and it will be washed and fixed in a day or two. All in I am guessing around $50-60 (includes shipping to and from). I really liked their methods after speaking w/them on the phone.

My horse and the 2 year old have been separated into adjacent fields. They will stay this way until blanket season is over

I'll update when I get it back w/final price and results! It was $179 blanket, 1200d and 400g fill, so very worth it for me to get it fixed.

Glad it's resolved
    but did you contact Smart Pak about a possible replacement policy?

I did - Amigo does have a return policy - Smartpak gave me the info on it - I would have to pay for shipping to/from, write a "case" for why the blanket didn't "perform" or why I felt it was defective. I would have felt dishonest doing so as I firmly believe the horses tore it once it was pulled off of my horse's body. It was literally pulled off him, all straps intact and still clipped - so had to be over his head.The week before I found him with the blanket pulled up over his butt...bunched at his waist. I am certain they then pulled and pawed at it while it was on the ground (I have seen the baby horses do this when we attempt to hang blankets within their reach...) So I don't feel it didn't hold up or perform. Even if it meant a free blanket, I would have felt dishonest and wouldn't have been able to sleep at night doing that

Default tpup

they're replacing the entire liner?

Quote Originally Posted by tpup View Post
    I did - Amigo does have a return policy - Smartpak gave me the info on it - I would have to pay for shipping to/from, write a "case" for why the blanket didn't "perform" or why I felt it was defective. I would have felt dishonest doing so as I firmly believe the horses tore it once it was pulled off of my horse's body. It was literally pulled off him, all straps intact and still clipped - so had to be over his head.The week before I found him with the blanket pulled up over his butt...bunched at his waist. I am certain they then pulled and pawed at it while it was on the ground (I have seen the baby horses do this when we attempt to hang blankets within their reach...) So I don't feel it didn't hold up or perform. Even if it meant a free blanket, I would have felt dishonest and wouldn't have been able to sleep at night doing that

I wondered as there seems to be some Amigo's out there with defective lining, as in it almost self-shreds ... funny how some horses play "attack the blanket" once they have it at their mercy

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    they're replacing the entire liner?
    The main rips are down the seams. They will be sewn with zigzag stitching and backed with some kind of reinforcement and fill will be replaced in areas where we think it might be missing....and blanket will be washed.

I hope you are happy with their work.

I was happy with the cleaning, waterproofing and repair they did on mine.

I spent around $350 dollars to do various things to 8 blankets. I sent in 2 rain sheets for waterproofing, 2 med wt blankets for wash and waterproofing, 1 lt wt to wash, waterproof and repair,1 heavy wt to wash and repair, 1 rain sheet to waterproof and repair, and a rain sheet to repair.

There is no way I could have gotten 8 new blankets for $350. When I picked up my blankets I felt like they were brand new.

Amigo linings are the worst, IMO. Not that I expect them to stand up to all abuse, but I've had some that just shred when used on the horse that goes out alone, doesn't rub/tear his blankets, etc., and the linings just fall apart.

I also had the same issue described by the OP - my horse got out of his sheet and played with it, tearing the lining in several places, but leaving the outside fully intact. I do my own repairs, so I washed it, checked that it was still waterproof (wasn't going to waste my time repairing if it wasn't!), and just repaired the lining by patching without sewing through the outer shell. No problems with rubs from the patches or anything.

Ugh, I have had lining problems with the Rhino's. Mostly due to the lack of leg straps. I keep patching the linings and wait for the blanket to die so I can replace it, Im not sure if I am happy or not it hasn't yet.

Last year the tail-loop on the flap broke and on a gusty day the blanket came up over his back. The barn manager said she looked out the window and saw this and by the time she got her coat and boots and went downstairs (about 2 minutes) the blanket was off and my gelding and another were playing tug-of-war. That lining was ripped in so many places. It sort of looks like frankenstein now because I stitched it in red so I could see where I stitched it back together if it came apart again, but it's still going strong. No rubs from the stitching, and most of it is over the back in places where it would rub if it was going to.

Hope yours is an easy a fix. They may look horrible, but most of the time it isn't that bad. I fixed a friend's heavy turnout which she thought was a goner, 10 minutes and a new buckle and all is right again.