The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Wow.

This horse is for sale for 14k. They show a video of him jumping cross rails. I don't understand this. Not one bit. (Please don't kill me if he's yours. )

There. I fixed it. I simply don't understand the pricing for a horse that doesen't look like it should hold that price tag-- or the advertising they've done for it. Why advertise that he's carting kids around 2'6" and "training" (he's 12 y/o) over 3' and show a video of him jumping cross rails?!? And they didn't take the most attractive pictures of him, or the most attractive video IMHO for a 14k horse.

"Stronger words should never be used so early on."

[This message was edited by FLP on Apr. 28, 2004 at 03:36 PM.]
    I must say, I\'ve met some horses whose feet smell far worse than my husband\'s.

Wow.

This horse is for sale for 14k. They show a video of him jumping cross rails. I don't understand this. Not one bit. (Please don't kill me if he's yours. )

There. I fixed it. I simply don't understand the pricing for a horse that doesen't look like it should hold that price tag-- or the advertising they've done for it. Why advertise that he's carting kids around 2'6" and "training" (he's 12 y/o) over 3' and show a video of him jumping cross rails?!? And they didn't take the most attractive pictures of him, or the most attractive video IMHO for a 14k horse.

[This message was edited by FLP on Apr. 28, 2004 at 03:36 PM.]
    I must say, I\'ve met some horses whose feet smell far worse than my husband\'s.

Dreaming of Yorkshire in sunny San Diego.

$14k. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

$10 -12k seems like a fair price for him. You don't ride the looks and if he is safe, kind and knows his job, the price is fine IMO.
    Royal Oak Sporthorses
    Dutch Warmbloods & British Sporthorses.

Video has him going x-country..
    price is 14k..

are you sure you linked the correct one?

That said... he does look to be a good boy going x-cntry, careful over fences.. even when placed at a bad spot. would probably make a good little horse for someone moving up.

[This message was edited by CS on Apr. 27, 2004 at 03:29 PM.]

[This message was edited by CS on Apr. 27, 2004 at 03:30 PM.]

Ugly is your opinion.

I think a video of him safely carting someone around over crossrails is a great tool for selling him. He looks very safe, and if I was looking for a horse for someone to learn to jump on, I'd be interested in him. Not everyone is looking for the next Working Hunter Champion.

He may not be the most beautiful of all horses but in the video he has a really nice way of going, even strides, looks like he is enjoying himself jumping natural obstacles.. Sometimes these nice quiet dependable horses are worth their wieght in gold. It is not a small pricetag, I agree, but he looks like a very fun dependable horse that a kid could learn alot from IMHO.

Geez. You are being pretty rude with your comments. He is someone's horse - someone who loves him - and you call him ugly on a public forum. If you don't like his price, which isn't THAT high, then don't buy him! We don't need to publicly bash him. I don't know the horse or the owner, but I would be upset if I were the owner - especially since the owner has never asked for comments...

oh. I donno, I would never pay 12k for a horse that "knows his job" and dosen't look good while doing it.

You can find an awful lot of quiet, sound horses that will do the same for you for under 7k. Hopefully well under that. I can't even imagine getting more thank 8k for my guy, and he's proven, and does his job well--simply because he's not of the right 'breeding' or something of that sort.

If this is really what people are getting for what looks like an average horse, I'd better bump up the worth of mine, I'll never be able to replace himhttp://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I was just dumbfounded by it, I've never seen anything like ithttp://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FLP:
    I was just dumbfounded by it, I've never seen anything like it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's still not your place to call him ugly on a public forum where his owners might read your post.

Ok, in my area that's what horses I have seen similar to him or with similar training are being priced for sale (or higher even). I have to say he looks safe enough (although I didn't care for the 1/2 swap in front of the 1st jump, but there may have been many reasons it happened), seems pleasant, and has possibility to move up. But that's JMHO. Everybody horse shops differently. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

--The video was in a x-country setting, but the jumps were X's mostly.

"...but now the gloves are coming off and it's going to get ghetto." Robby Johnson
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

I'll take a plain packer any day over a flashy but unpredictable mount. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif BTW - I don't think this horse is ugly at all -- I don't think that's the most flattering picture of him with his ears back. He sounds like a good, versatile kind of guy.

I hope whoever owns him doesn't frequent COTH. I'd feel terrible if someone posted my horse as an example of an ugly and overpriced horse. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...ilies/sigh.gif
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

oneonone: I DELETED IT.

411: I'm saying that you should be able to get a decent preforming horse that is a packer for that price. Maybe horses in general are simply overpriced these days.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

I'm seeing your point but to me, yes, he looks really, really safe, very kind and forgiving and has a nice, rhythmic canter.

Unlike the hunters, they don't have to be pretty in eventing. I think he's worth every penny too.

And I happen to have a penchant for the 'ugly' ones. Don't know what it is but I wanna take them all home! But this guy doesn't look 'ugly'. He just isn't smiling in this pic.

`````````````````````````````````````````
    "I NOW INFORM YOU THAT YOU ARE TOO FAR FROM REALITY."
    Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf, Iraqi Minister of Information

"Life ain't certain...ride your best horse first." Unknown

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Well, that IS a kid riding him, and he seems like a safe, sane jumper. If that's the case, and he's competitive locally at the 3' level (which he would be in my area), then that's not an unrealistic price. I looked at plenty recently that were NOT kid safe, NOT good jumpers, and the price tag was much higher.

And he isn't ugly, just a sweet looking TB.

.................................................. .................................................. ......
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right." -Henry Ford
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

My favorite part is the cross canter of the first jump.

Anybody can ask whatever price they want for their horse. Its a matter of whether someone will pay it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.scatteredoaksfarm.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

Gee,
    i think he's kind of cute, and I like his relaxed confident manner. The price is a bit high for me, but as far as his looks- I'm a 'Pretty is as pretty does' type person. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif

Well, I just had to look at the photo and watch the video because I was dying to see this butt-ugly horse. But you know what? I think tidied up a bit, without the breast collar and posed better, he'd be a rather attractive, Joe Chestnut sort of guy. I rather liked the way he cantered around that open cross country course.

I have to say, out here at least, $15,000 buys you a serviceably sound, reasonably attractive 2'6" county circuit hunter. So I don't find the price outrageous.

What I saw in the picture and the video was a solid, safe horse with an even pace, had some lead changes, and who could do some hunters and, apprarently, cross-country.

I'm a Mom -- would I pay $12K (let's be real, I'm sure its negotiable down to no more than $10K) for such a horse? You bet!

Good luck to them.

Being from an area where spending $5,000 is really "the limit", of course I find this guy "overpriced..."

HOWEVER, if I put myself in a place where it is fairly common to pay $10-$15k.... I can definately see it.

I can tell you for sure that if they wanted to sell this horse in our area, he'd be right at the top of the price range, (probably around $8 or $9k), and then I'd encourage people to snap him up. He's a cute cute guy, seems to be confident in his job doing some X-rails in an open field... His attitude in the openness of the area makes me like him.

Once again I'm not saying that he's NOT worth his price tag (i think that in the right market he is), but in our area, you couldn't sell ANYTHING for $15k, simply because we just don't have the cash.

I'm glad I saw this thread after the "ugly" comment was removed. I think he's super cute, and if the kids in my area had steady, well behaved guys like him, everyone would be happier.

-Anna

my goodness....didn't you mother ever tell you if you don't have something nice to say, DON'T say anything at all....

proud member of the calendar- CBW FOR LIFE !!

http://community.webshots.com/user/michelleee22