The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ulcerguard competitor now?

So I am seeing a new product in Big Dee's - Gastroade Extra.

http://www.bigdweb.com/PROMO-GASTROA...o/5697P%5FPRO/

Does anyone know if it really is the same as Ulcerguard? Chemically, looks the same to me but maybe I am missing something? Has anyone here used it yet? Did UG lose it's patent protection and now are we going to see this more available at better prices?

Gosh, someone say it's true! And not TOO good to be true?

It's not micro-encapsulated, it is just buffered with bismuth. So no, not a competitor unfortunately.

So it's NOT the same thing then? I was just looking at the operzaprazole being the same %s. Hmm, thanks for that info.

Nope, definitely not a competitor. There are many forms of omeprazole available mixed with a buffer, which is what this paste is. Anybody can feed generic omeprazole powder with bismuth. There has yet be a true Gastrogard/Ulcergard equivalent on the market as far as I know.

So I just bought 3 tubes of Gastroade for my pony. She is just turning the corner from a bout with a nasty high fever/colic situation my vet diagnosed as a viral intestinal bug (that she's seen a bunch this winter).

Between the Banamine to contol her very high temps and the Exceed antibiotic (as her white cell count was low as well), and the general misery in her hind gut, she is grinding her teeth. I called all over and could not find GG or UG in stock - so this was the best I could do.

So gurus - will this help her more than Ranitidine? I'll be able to get real GG shipped in by Tues. but in the mean time I'm thinking this is better than nothing and better than the Renitidine. Poor pony needs a break. Please tell me this will help her! BTW - vet chose this option. Not that I am second guessing her - she is and has been awesome through this and always. Just wondering just how much better the real GG is.

Signed, worried & tired pony nurse.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Bismuth subsalicylate is NOT a buffer, it is a coating agent. The calcium carbonate would probably serve as a fair buffer, although there would have to be a lot of it in there to buffer down a horse stomach full of acid enough for naked omeprazole to survive.

If I were going to use this product I'd probably cough up for the brand name GG first (or use pop rocks) to get the stomach pH way up for a few days, then go with a product like this.

No, I don't think it's better than ranitidine necessarily, but using both together (after 1-2 days of ranitidine) might work.
    Click here before you buy.