The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Updated original post ! New pics of the Friesian too :) Clear ones this time!

This has been updated in my blog... But the Friesian I have been working with for a month now has some visible pics on there!

http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

The first one has trot pics, and the second canter

These were yesterday and I am very proud of his progress being that he can get super heavy if I dont really keep myself accountable...

Thanks!

Old post starts here

Okay so we are working on making the transition from walk to canter ... Bigger

Im just riding this boy till April and we are new to eachother... Its obvious at times

So we sit there in a walk and I apply the canter aid (barely) and we want him so entirely on the aids that he just jumps into the canter A work in progress!

Anyway, for the first few weeks he would um do nothing (false start well a non start anyway) when I would apply the very subtle aid that my trainer was insisting I used instead of the TONS of leg needed to get canter... I'd look at my trainer like can I kick him a little? (Head shake and again with tons of walking) Trainer would say let him do nothing because he would be telling me how at the walk he was NOT on the aids. She's ridden this horse quite a bit.

NOW, coming from an apply that whip background, I was dubious and when on my own I'd apply the aid a tinsy bit more than she allowed in lessons lol. BUT today was an AHA day and I figured out that I was losing the outside shoulder a bit before the transtion and voila! No whip, no spurs (a big deal on this guy) and a jumping transition!

(While viewing please ignore my seat and our lack of great connection since I was kind of frozen in shock to find yet again... that my trainer was right ) A friend of mine who took about ten pics of the dirt got this pic directly after a transition

He is actually going quite slow here... Even though it looks like a gallop!

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/20733...01143328cHDoBm

and some VERY out of focus trot pics lol

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22702...01143328WAXoiq

and

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/23818...01143328hJpYpL

I need a new camera!

Please no CC Im already being drilled by PLENTY of people at my barn about my seat and I SO need to get back in the gym lol

Just wanted to share!
    Last edited by NOMIOMI1; Jan. 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM.

Talking

OK!! We won't say anything!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Please no CC
    no idea what CC is

but thanks for the photos

Constructive Cricism?

Anyway - good job!!!

CC=Constructive Cricism

LOL

My chair seat is intact as well as my hunter hunch lol, so Im working on it. I have great posture when Im reminded... Oh say, every other stride lol

He is a GIANT mover so Im getting used to being jumbled around.

I hope to update by april with a draped leg and shoulders back... But if you see instead a black horse being lunged and a rider standing around eating cookies... Well Ive given up lol!

He is really handsome!

Let's talk a bit about this canter picture, and why it worked this time. That way, you can try to make it happen again and even better.

You are definitely correct in that your were losing your outside rein previously. What happens when a horse is crooked to the right is that the shoulders are still not bending inward enough when you are traveling left. When you are traveling to the right, the shoulders are bending inward by too great a degree. The haunches are falling incorrectly in just the opposite fashion, so that the horse looks rather like an "S" rather than a straight line, with a slight bias to curving inward.

Basically, what this means is that no matter what you are doing, the haunches are too far to the left and the shoulders too far to the right for the movement being asked.

When the shoulders are too far to the right, the horse is dropping its right shoulder down away from the right rein. Since generally the aid for the canter is to take ahold of that right rein a bit more at the moment of transition, this keeps that right shoulder down by too great a degree. In your picture, however, you will see that you have lifted your right rein, which essentially recapture the horse's lowered, right shoulder.

From a perspective of critiqueing your position, we would say this is an incorrect position of your shoulders/hands. However, from a training perspective, this is exactly what was needed to block the outside shoulder correctly for the canter left. Often, to help a horse become straight, and more responsive to the aids, we do have to take outselves out of a perceived, correct position momentarily in order to achieve the results with the horse. Over time, as the horse becomes straighter, this should happen less and less. This is the reason we work to have "independant" aids.

When you are traveling to the right, it will be the same right rein that you need to lift a bit. In this direction the lift of the rein is to decrease the bending, whereas in the movement to the left, the effect of the lift was to increase the bending. This is the difference the rotation makes. The horse is in the same position as before, but the rotation of the movement changes the perceived effects.

Now you can save a transition in such a fashion, and probably will even need to utilize it more for awhile. However, the real key to this is working more to straightening the horse prior to asking for the transition. The big bug-a-boo is the fact those haunches are incorrect, that this will kill you in all movements, and especially in your lengthened strides now, and many,many things later.

Prior you your canter transition, you need to think about bending the horse slightly more to the inside when you are traveling counterclockwise. Conversely, you need to think about bending the horse a little less, when you are asking for that transition in a clockwise direction. Momentarily, releasing your right rein forward, and then taking it back at the moment of transition will help. When you first try to get better transitions, work on your walk/canter transition left on a 15-meter circle. When you first try to get better transtitions right, work on a straight line. Once you can readily get your transitions there, then start working on getting them any time, any place, be it circle or straight line both directions.
    Last edited by angel; Jan. 15, 2012 at 01:46 PM.

I agree with Angel on how to keep the right shoulder for the canter depart which it seems you did very well in the photo, and that the position of hands and shoulder are correct for riding this horse and keeping the shoulder at that particular moment in time He looks to have big gaits as well! Sounds like you had fun

Thank you angel I knew my hands wasnt lined up with the mouth and my seat could have been lined up... Plus with big gaits I have this crazy twist my toes out thing with big gaits like when I am sitting the trot I try and twist them out like defensively lol.

I know for sure its a fitness thing though cause I get VERY sore whenever forced to do it right in lessons and not as sore on my own (wonder why lol).

Again thanks!

Rthonor You gotta come ride him some time!

Oh and angel yep that right side is the one thats voted least likely to bend correclty... Good CALL!

People were forcing bend before so what we had was a HEAVY HEAVY horse. Im talking shoulders burning in five minutes of riding heavy (not good).

So we taught him some through the transition type stuff (leg on with downward) and NEVER gave him anything to lean on hardly for a bit and that helped A LOT

Now he is SUPER but upward was always something that was a little lazy and he wasnt on the aids as much.

Yes to the left I need to remember more bend to the right for sure

He has come leaps and bounds... When he first came to our barn his canter to the right was completely discombobulated to the point where he looked like a horse costume... Ive seen this with friesians having canter issues but this horse obviously had an awesome canter in there it was just disengaged.

Mea culpa, Nomiomi. I just noticed a typo in my post to you which I need to correct. I typed "right" when I should have typed "left." Please go back and re-read since I have made the change.

When you travel to the left, you lift the right rein a little, or slightly release it forward, in order to increase the bending inward. So let's have a go at this again. For travel to the left, you lift the right rein or slightly release it forward in order to slightly increase the horse's bending to the inside, i.e. greater bending toward the left. When you travel to the right, you lift the right rein a little, or slightly release it forward, in order to decrease the lateral bend. The lift of the right rein blocks the horse's right shoulder and forces it to move back toward his left side. In this direction of rotation, the effect creates a straighter horse, i.e. less bending. In both cases you are seeking to recapture contact with the right shoulder which the horse is keeping down and back.

i understood it

Today was also a great transition day so I know I am already getting settled on that shoulder control

Now onto the NEXT problem! lol

Seat bones...

yeah I read it, hear it, but I find my body fighting me when I am trying to DO IT!

lol

Baby steps!

I will say my sitting trot work is improving with him and his bouncing ball steps lol and I will post some photos of that for ya'll to giggle at soon lol

I actually think you are doing a good job...ever watch the seats on all those trainers when they aren't showing...I think they are really nice pics.

Thanks!

I posted knowing they were not perfect, but I am willing to look at my photos and say "Nomiomi... You can do better!"

The trot pics remind me of the big foot shots though!

My Iphone is NOT a great camera I

IM gonna try and get more that are more clear for a possible CC...

Do I dare!

Thank you though very much

I have never seen a 'hunter hunch' before, though I have seem many dressage riders who turn into turtles and ride in a chair seat
    Are you an ex-hunter?
    Rebel Without Cash!

I updated in the original post and in my blog
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Last trot picture and third canter picture really good, especially that third canter picture. In the trot, the reins are a tad too short. You should be able to keep your upper arms vertical with your torso and still have the horse's head much in the same position though just a tad more of the nose forward. Sitting the trot with the reins this short and your arms in this position will result in overbending the horse and also allowing the horse to pull you forward out of a vertical position as he goes onto the forehand. You will not be able to effectively half-halt when this happens as your pelvis will have begun to start tilting forward as well.

Thank you angel I hope to get some video up eventually this month... As well as get some pics/vid on there of the TB too! In less time she is actually catching up to this guy... If we were all Tb's we would fit up so fast!

As to the reins he was sucking back into a shorter frame... Those pics of the trot that you like (up and open) are the first he has ever really offered me. He usually tries to go flat and heavy, or VERY up but short and behind... So the reins are short because I keep a very soft contact but he doesnt give me a lot of neck to work with... Even if I ask lol

But we are getting more and more... Ill take what I can get. I definately want to be able to ride him on a longer rein

His canter has come LEAPS. It was a terrible thing to begin with that we didnt know if he would come around because he would fling his feet and become disunited and then worried and start over again Fancy guy, but almost to his detriment lol

All and all he has DEFINATELY taught me how to NOT give a horse something to pull on. He was so heavy to start an I would just half halt my brains out and be sore for a day in my shoulders. But now I remember to really use balance and hands with more give to a transition and half halts sparingly. Now I have hardly any weight in my reins, but I am asking him to to take up just a little

Thanks for the feedback we have LOTS of work to do but he is only here till march..
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

i think that if you can find someone to give you some lunge lessons you will find you will be able to open your seat and begin to work on your leg..... but that needs to start on a horse that is easy to sit on so you can concentrate on you.... and once you are able to sit well then you will be able to ride the horse so it swings in the back and becomes easier to sit on. The fact he throws you out of the saddle tells you he isnt working correctly. But it is a bit of a conundrum - horse cant move well unless rider is well seated - rider can t be well seated unless horse is working well....

also try to do work w/o stirrups... that can help too.

the things you need to work on are all normal things that we all worked on when we began.... so you will be able to work thru them easily if you have good instruction.

the horse looks like a fun guy to ride