The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default PNW folks: Snow check-in!

It might actually arrive for us. Snow, that is! Yeah, yeah, we hear you, "rest of the country who get snow in the winter". Let us Green Folk have our OOH, SNOW! fun, please

So--as they call for snow in the PDX area Sunday through Tuesday (at least 500 Ft. and above...which is a lot of places!), check in and tell us how you are doing.

Our wee farmette sits at the west end of the Gorge, at 540 feet and we usually get a good dumping in these things. My barn is all ready, heated buckets out, tub filled, top stall doors ready to be shut, much to one boy's disgust (snow blows into the stalls if I don't....such a mess!).

Let is snow!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

We got snow here in Lake Stevens, yay! It snowed for most of the morning/early afternoon, quite heavy at time, but didn't stick for a while so there's maybe an inch on the ground. I heard Bellingham got hammered - 6 plus inches and sleet.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Just had a quick down-pouring of light hail/sleet in Oly. Sigh, and the sun had been shining!
    "Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter, it gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark"

We had 1-2" here in Bridle Trails, but now we're down to 1/2" of slush. The temperature is dropping though. It's 33.8 now, so that slush should be setting up into ice tonight.

Better than checking in with the weather service! If it is north of Portland, it must be creeping here, slowly. Temp has gone from 46 to 35 in 2 hours, "gritty" rain falling here now, but they expect 2-4 inches over night.

Probably won't be schlepping 40 miles across the county to go ride tomorrow AM though. Bummer. Maybe a sledding morning instead!

The forecast for Wed-Friday is kind of scary though--4 inches of rain!! Per day!. Not good. I hope JoZ is on high ground if that is true.

We are just south of Victoria on the Island and can see WA from our house and we got snow. We are right on the water and there is snow in our yard. at the barn 10 mins away and a bit higher as much more snow. I don't mind the snow it is all the mud we will have after.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

We're out in the hills northwest of Portland at about 800 ft., with a mix of Gorge and Coast Range weather, so even if it doesn't snow we'll have frozen yuck on our treacherous roads. My husband is in town shopping right now, but being a musician he's headed for a jam session afterward. It could be that our van will be well-stocked but with no way for me to get to it! Sigh... At least I have plenty of good, fresh ground coffee here...several years ago, when we were snowed in with 3 feet of the white stuff...Keith had to walk 2 miles down our hill in the snow, and the only coffee at the little country store was Folgers...yecchh.

I remember growing up just on a hill in SE Portland, every threat of snow meant running to the store for dog and cat food -- we always had plenty of stored human food, but we could never convince the pets that canned pea soup was a decent meal!
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Not a spec of snow here mid-island!!! The most gorgeous, beautiful, warm, sunny day!
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Just heard the weather report and they're calling for more snow tonight in the Everett area which is more or less where we are sooo. I was supposed to go look at a horse today but that got canceled, it was up north near Blaine and I heard people were in ditches and what not. I wouldn't have had a problem with my 4x4 but thought better to stay home anyway.
    I have a lesson tomorrow, hope I don't have a problem getting there, I'm hauling in and the barn is up a steep hill.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

So far, nuthin'. But the high clouds are blowing over. I mean they are really, really moving up there. Wispy things.

Then, not long ago, about an hour and half, the mountains are holding back a monstrous dark cloud, the cloud is trying its' best to spill over.

By Wednesday, we have a 70% chance of snow and sleet.

This is so strange for here...usually, by this time, we're inundated with snow and it will stay till late Spring. Not this year. Just one light snow and that's all she wrote. Our lilacs are scr*wed up big time. They are budding out. there is a little GRASS starting to poke up. The grass and lilacs are in for a rude awakening pretty quick.

Normally, we get 122 inches of snow. It's gonna have to snow like mad to catch up this year.

I'm in the southern central part of OR.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Jan. 14, 2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Always forgetting to put something pertinent in the message...
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Nothing here in Yelm, heard Oly is getting quite a bit and Tacoma got some then it stopped.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

On the more southern front...

it poured rain here this afternoon, and I ran into ice on my way home from the barn at 7:30. They are calling for snow, but the skies are clear and its just damn cold.

!(*@#@^!$@* ice. I hate you. Snow driving, no problem, but ice turns my truck into the ball in the pinball game.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Sheeesh! You guys have all the fun! I am in Sisters and we have had snow ONCE this season! The weather people keep saying we are going to get it and then darn it all, another lovely day!

Some snow would be nice. My dry paddocks are actually dusty and the pastures have green peeking up in them! Unheard of for this time of year.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Checking in from the Olympic Peninsula. No snow in Seabeck, dry as a bone! On the other hand, we and the doggies went to look at a geological formation near Port Hadlock, dusting of snow, first rain/snow shower, then about 1 inch. Boo hoo. Actually, I don't want the freezing roads cause we have a ski slope type road on the way home. Now it can snow cause we are home, warm and sleepy. We had a look at the Admiralty Inlet cliffs, across the sound from Whidbey (Hi Jenners), so very interesting, concretions, till with drift, drift with till, "and the very stones shall speak!"

It was so lovely on on that beach until the north breeze blew in, new discovey of a 4 mile vacant beach, YAY!
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Snowed in Enumclaw this afternoon and stuck briefly even though the ground and roads were wet.

WET, wet snow in North Kitsap this morning which hardly stuck and is gone. Clear as a bell out there right now and not terribly cold, either.

Hoping to wake up to white tomorrow!
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Oooh! Calamber--I am such a Rock Jock! That sounds like such fun--even in the snow/rain or what have you. Geology obsessed people need to unite!

Still no snow here, but the cold and showers are heading in from the Pacific (at least that is what my handy NOAA radar map says).

Going out to do night check after Austin City Limits is over--The Head and the Heart are playing! Love them. My horses will just have to wait!

Just left Whidbey as we were worried about getting home (to Snoqualmie where the forecast said 3-7 inches before 12pm)... turns out the worst was the two inches in Clinton and Mukilteo right around the ferry.

Still have nothing here...

West of Portland, about 200', and nada. I hit about four flakes on my way back from Vancouver around 8, but it was gone as soon as it started. It's only supposed to be barely below freezing tonight, so I'm not really concerned. I just hope I can make it up Cooper Mountain Monday morning...
    Proud member of the EDRF

We left Carnation in pouring rain to run errands in Monroe, and it was a whiteout there. That was about noon today. Came back and went to Redmond over Redmond Ridge which had about 3" on the ground.

Once we got back home around 2 p.m. there was just intermittent slush falling from the sky, then it cleared out and got very cold. I think clouds are coming back in now. The sky is bruise-colored... purple-ish orange green grey! Something is afoot...

I wouldn't mind some serious snow. I am, after all, a transplanted New Englander...
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

We have about 1-1/2 inches here...my husband made it up the hill fine but was glad he was able to take a run at it and not stop.

We're supposed to get 1-2 inches throughout the weekend, and with a predicted high of 34, whatever falls will stay. Then Monday night it's supposed to warm up.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth