The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog shipping/transport companies?

Hey all, a friend of mine is looking into possibly adopting a dog from a rescue in md. The only problem is they live in CO. can anyone recommend transport companies that travel west from the east coast?
    Thanks in advance!!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Yes!! Go to www.uship.com

I lined up a shipper to bring a horse home 1,800 miles. The lady I used was transporting some dogs for someone as well. She did a superb job with my boy so I have no doubt about the dogs as well. You can find all kinds of haulers on there who will transport pets. Just read all the feedback on people before asking them for a bid.

You first have to fill in the information to set up a new account, and then you have to add a lot of information about the pet you need shipped. It then creates a profile for you and places an ad out there saying that you need this dog from A to B on such n such dates, etc..... Then you can search for shippers yourself and send them a bid request. They will review your information and send you a price quote. I had everything totally ironed out in about 2 days to ship my horse home.

Petairways.com and flypets.com are airlines that transport only pets, so they ride in the cabin with climate control and people watching over them.

Thanks guys! Passing the info on to her tonight. I appreciate it!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

I never knew those companies existed. Very interesting.

I ship on Delta airlines when i sell a pup. From looking at those links, i doubt seriously it would be available for me. We're no where near a major hub, the closest "big" cities are Great Falls and Billings.

But it's a great idea.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

Also...if it's a rescue, many of them will set up transports from foster homes to forever homes (they simply set up the transport with 'X' number of legs, volunteers agree to drive each 60 or so mile leg, and after 2-3 days, the doggy has arrived. Your friend might ask if that's an option.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Default Rescue transport

Please check with the rescue as glfprncs speaks of. I have done many legs getting rescues to their new home.
    There's a transport coordinator and they arrange for all the drivers. It works very well and very organized.

My friend said that the rescue hasn't ever done E-W transports, only from the south up north, so they didn't have a network of volunteers in that direction. I think those sites listed will be sufficient, but she may try the networking route after all.
    Thanks again!
    (he does listen!)

Here's a link to many going E-W for you. IF you need help please pm me.
    If the dog is friendly it can ride along with another rescue. I have had 2 or 3 dogs many times on my legs.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/RescueTransport/

And this, my friends, is why I love this board!

Yall may have given me some resources for my own situation, too. I have some foster puppies that my family members are going nuts over from about 6 states away... Hmm :-)
    (he does listen!)

Before going to USHIP....Google the following and make sure you have a few WEEKS to read all the horror stories.

Uship scams
    Uhip theft

Sounds like the poster from above was VERY lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post
    Before going to USHIP....Google the following and make sure you have a few WEEKS to read all the horror stories.

Uship scams
    Uhip theft

Sounds like the poster from above was VERY lucky.
    Yes, be very careful. I would go the route of contacting local rescues, or humane societies and vets offices to see if they have any transport companies that have successfully shipped from east to west in the target area for the OP. Otherwise, it is a very hit and miss shot in the dark to go with UShip.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Thank you all for your added input, I'll pass it along as well!
    (he does listen!)