The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Rambo Supreme Belly Band Question

I feel like a complete idiot...please help!

I bought my rambo blanket online a few months ago, looked at the instructions and remember something about having to do something with the belly bands before putting it on my horse...then i folded up the blanket and put it away without doing anything.

Now, it's time to actually put the blanket on my horse and I don't have the instructions anymore. IS there something I'm supposed to do with the belly bands before I put it on my guy? vaguely seem to recall something about a bit of plastic being put on the straps or something but I can't remember OR find the pieces of plastic.

Temps are dropping to -26 C tomorrow so I was planning on putting on this blanket but am now paranoid.

Thanks!

Anyone? No one? Even someone to tell me I'm crazy and that there are no instructions for the belly bands before putting it on a horse?

Are you sure there is an actual belly "band" on the blanket? I have used Rambo Supreme turnouts before, and unless you have a new version which had a design change there is nothing special about the straps that go under the belly.

As with other Rambos, there are three belly straps total. The outside two are crossed, and the middle strap goes directly to the opposite side. You can see pictures of this configuration on the Horseware website.
    *Absolut Equestrian*

"The plural of anecdote is not fact...except in the horse industry"

Well I was going to try and scan the directions for ya, but seems they must be at the barn. But anyways, the plastic bits come already on the belly straps. The instructions will come in handy when you need to replace the plastic bits (there were 3 replacement bits that came with my blanket), which inevitably you will because the drop is so excessive (I don't know maybe you have a really tall, round horse and the straps won't be uber long, but they are for me!!).
    So you should be all set to use the blanket initially, but might want to take a look at how the plastic bits are on there so if one breaks you'll know who to replace it.

Are you asking about the little rings of rubber or plastic that help keep the buckles secured? They slip over the T end of the buckle... then join the buckle ends... then stretch the ring back over the "loop" the T goes into to prevent the two ends from separating. FWIW, I've never used the locking rings on my Supremest and have never had a problem.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Thanks so much! Yes, I meant the plastic bits that the velcro attaches through. So the velcro is supposed to go through the plastic part and not the metal? Two bands are attached using the plastic and the middle one is attached through the metal piece, with the plastic piece just 'floating' down the strap. I'll change it so it's like the other two.

Melissa.Hare.Jones - Actually, I was wondering about that too. I've never used those before but wasn't sure if I'd need to on the supreme. I'll try it without and see if the straps stay done up.

I must have a tall, round horse because the straps shorten enough to fit him just fine! My big fat boy!

Thanks again - I'm pretty happy he's finally got a blanket warm enough that I *hopefully* won't have to double blanket him!