The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helping a goat

My next door neighbor has a small herd of goats. I would say almost all the goats are 'thin' but one looks really bad. All the females are pregnant or have babies and stay that way (no rest). One of his females looks really bad. She can hardly move and I would say the only time she does is to get away from her baby. The cold seems to be making her weaker. Baby looks okay right now but is really small. Neighbor feeds her seperate from the others but I don't know how much she is getting..there is no grass and no hay during the day. He does have hay bales over in a shed but they are not green so not sure how much calories they are getting when they do get hay. Neighbor does not live on property.

I want to help but I'm going out of town for 2weeks in four days. If the female last until I get back I was thinking about asking if i could take her and put her in the small dog 6ft fenced area behind my house and feed her several times a day. That way she will always have access to food. Only thing is my ac is back there ..would she mess with it? I've read about John's Disease and it's possible that she has it as even in the summer when they have weeds to eat she is still the thinest goat. This year is her first baby so I think she's only a few years old. I just hate to see her like this and I'm kinda doubting that she's going to make it until I get back.

Do you know if the owner deworms them? IME younger goats in particular are susceptable to heavy, sometimes fatal worm infestations. If the insides of the eyelids are white the goat is pretty much toast.

Sounds like she is to weak to mess with your AC.

Goats are lean animals though. Mine never look plump like the sheep I used to have.

ETA:She and the rest of the herd may need selenium. Many areas of the country are deficient
    Last edited by carolprudm; Jan. 14, 2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Thank you for wanting to help. I lost one to Johnes and it ain't pretty. She contracted it at birth, I adopted her at age 2 but it didn't show until Feb. of last year. They eat & eat but slowly starve to death - unless euthanized. It was horrible.

She could have a bad case of coccidia (sp?) and wormer can take care of that (livestock vet) but I think (I'm certainly not a goat expert) if it were Johnes it would have already killed her if she's been that thin for so long. I hope she makes it. I'm glad she has you in her corner though.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Sounds like he's doing a fairly good job caring for her, except there is something wrong with her health. You can't tell a thing about the nutrition of hay based on it's colour. I would offer to purchase her if you're really concerned about her health.

If almost all the goats look thin are they a milking breed? Saanens, for example, are built like a dairy cow and will look quite skinny along their backs even when in a very healthy condition. Vs pygmys which have the perma preggo belly.

Yes, don't put the goat in with anything you don't want them to try to eat. You can cover the AC with more fencing or box it up or something.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

He's told me he's dewormed her before and that he didn't know what's wrong with her. I don't know the details. The hay doesn't look good to me but then I don't know much about 'goat' hay.

The goats are a boer goats...he sells the boys for meat. I looked at the pictures online on google and well...none of his looks like that not even the fattest one. I would say the fattest ones is the year old boy that he's going to use for the next group of babies(not fat but not skinny). He sold off the other older male goats. I'll show yall what I mean later and yall can tell me if they are that bad. Looks skinny to me.

This boggles my mind. My goat is so fat she waddles and I haven't fed her once in the 13 years I have owned her. She scavenges and steals more than enough without my help. Now that she is an old lady she has trouble with the cold so she wears a foal blanket but still maintains her weight well. I would think there would have to be a big problem for a goat to be skinny. Jingles you can help her.

It's hard to see because of the winter fluf but here she is...moving 'very' slow. She tries to loose her baby.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/IMG_1795.jpg

She managed to get away..so here he is looking around for her... he makes a pitiful 'maaaa' sound when he can't find her.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/IMG_1799.jpg

Another momma and baby. She's not as skinny but still is thin probably from the extra calories going towards baby.
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/IMG_1794.jpg

Stud for next set of kids..he's cute but not as tame as some.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/IMG_1797.jpg

pictures of babies...
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/IMG_1796.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/IMG_1804.jpg

Again, I'm not a goat expert but Boer goats are bred for meat and it usually shows. I've never seen one that skinny unless she's been bred to death or parasites, especially if he is feeding her separately. I've got milk goats (if that is what they were used for here at my farm) and I do have a bit of a spine (like a holstein vs. angus) but not like that. FWIW I just give mine a cup of goat chow am & pm.

Good luck and again thanks for caring.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Wormed when with what? In a herd of what population density?

Describe local soil type if goats graze during the grazing season.

White tail or other deer population hanging around?

Hay type? Grain? And how much?

Quote Originally Posted by morgansnmind View Post
    That is his skinniest goat? Leave the man alone. Unless the goat is REALLY sick, they look fine to me. We breed Nubian and Oberhasli dairy goats. There is no sign of diarrhea on any of those goats. The babies all look healthy and happy. Maybe she is just ready to be weaned from her baby. Offer to BUY her and is he says no let him alone.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Hey I'm not picking on him,you can't see how skinny she really is..she is BONES. Maybe there is just something wrong with her..she walks very slowly like she's an old lady but she isn't . There is no fat on her. Will ask him about her when I see him tomorrow. We are on friendly terms and I'm allowed to take my kids in to play with them anytime. If she is still alive by the time I get back in town then I will do something. I just can't do it now. I throw extra hay to the goats already but the others don't let her get it.

She could be CAE positive and starting to suffer the effects of it.

She could be wormy.

She could be vitamin A deficient.

Selenium deficient.

Copper deficient.

So on and so forth. There is NO WAY to really know without 100% of the information, including diet, age, disease status (ie CAE, CL, Johnes, etc etc), kidding history.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by aspenlucas View Post
    That is his skinniest goat? Leave the man alone
    +1

If you're concerned/fallen for her (and it's hard not too) offer to buy her.

Hey I'm not picking on him,you can't see how skinny she really is..she is BONES.
    I don't think she's bones at all, at least not from that photo. From the angle that photo is taken she looks to be in pretty great condition. Her coat is a little unthrifty looking but her weight is pretty decent.

It's nice you're concerned, but I think overly so, they look very healthy. Does he know/allow you to throw extra hay to the goats? Like other animals, it's quite unhealthy for them to get overweight and they all look in good condition.

For comparison purposes here is our Deigo: http://nesfarm.blogspot.com/2011/11/diegos-leg.html looking a touch underweight (be about 5-10lbs, I'm picky...) from what I'd really like because he just got his cast off (from when he broke his leg). He is a Saanen which, like I mentioned, are supposed to look a little skinny, they are a milking breed.

And here are the rest of my goats: http://nesfarm.blogspot.com/2011/12/survy.html Including Survy who is in excellent condition (although he now looks pregnant...), he's a very nice but too small Alpine buck (also a milking breed), Yankey who is good for her breeding (part pygmy, part boer). And Harry (the other white one, pgymy x saanen) who is always too fat.

Eta: and my horse who is so fat I had her preg checked... no foals, just vet mandated diet

I don't feed my goats much 'cause they all need to loose some weight! Mine would really prefer hay you'd never think to feed to horses, if I give them the nice green orchard grass they pee on it. They want the weedy crap I'd never feed the horses, so we get along quite well .
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

He needs to worm test them to be sure about worms and if he's worming with the right stuff. Worm resistance in goats (and sheep) is becoming a bad problem in some places. Once the worms on your property are resistant to your wormers.. nothing will help. He MUST rotate wormers after he finds out what they're not resistant to. He needs to get familiar with the famacha testing where you check the eyelids and ONLY worm when they need it.

If you get her, look into cydectin wormer. Check labels in regards to milk transfer to the baby,etc.. call the vet to be sure, that (at least in sheep world) is the big gun for worms.

Does she have bottle jaw?

Those nannies do not look like high percentage Boer goats to me. They look more angluar, like there is some kind of dairy goat influence in the recent past.

I also don't think she looks all that thin, either. But if you have fallen for her and the farmer is willing to sell her to you, then congratulations on your new pet!

She looks a bit thin, but she may be 'Milking off of her back" - i.e. putting more into milk production than she's getting in the way of feed. I have Boers, Nubians, and a couple of mixes (30 plus all told) and they run the gamut after kidding from still looking 4 months pregnant to OMG - they're STARVING - depending on first and foremost the individual goat, and also how much nubian she has in her. Were she mine the very first thing I would do is give her a shot of B vitamins - which boosts the immune system, and stimulates appetite.

Looking at her, I would guess she's not a purebred boer but rather some kind of a mix, but regardless, she could use some grain in addition to forage.

Goats actually need the same quality of hay as horses in order to thrive. Lactating goats need, just like lactating horses or cows, extra rations in the form of alfalfa and a grain or pellet ration. A good mineral supplement, containing copper, fed free choice is also critical.

Worming is tricky - there are NO goat specific wormers on the market - the product is not commercially viable so the companies won't put the $$s and effort into research and production of same. Ivomec (cattle injectable) used as a drench, Valbazen (also used as a drench) and Cydectin are all used on goats. Safeguard is virtually useless as the goat parasites have developed a virtual immunity to it. Cydectin is best saved as a last resort as there is absolutely nothing else available if the worms become immune to it. The only way to be sure of the worm load and the efficacy of a worming program is to run fecal tests. Checking the color of the eyelids is a good indicator - once you have the initial problem under control.

The rest of the goats (mama and all the babies) look to be in good condition.
    "The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear" ~ Socrates

I'm back from my trip so here's the update. Baby goat from the brown sick goat was out of the fence yesterday and let me stuff him back under it. He's a sweet thing. Didn't see his momma anywhere so I asked the neighbor about her and he said she died the first week that I left. Vet told him he needed to do bloodwork and a full clinic physical on her to find out what was wrong. He didn't get it done. I 'think' it could have been her teeth because the neighbor says she makes a grinding noise when she eats.

I knew she was bad ..I was hoping she would make it. :0( Baby is a good size now and will probably make it even though he's not taking a bottle.He is eating grain though. I told the neighbor to try a different bottles (my baby is picky too) so he's going to try that.

None of them look that bad to me. The doe probably had something else going on. Also, they don't look like full Boer to me thus not as meaty.

Too bad he didn't have a necropsy done. Hopefully it's nothing contagious. They grind their teeth when they are in pain so that is probably what he was hearing.

As for the baby not taking the bottle, most won't if they are started on the Mom. Maybe let him slurp from a bowl or something.

I 'think' it could have been her teeth because the neighbor says she makes a grinding noise when she eats.
    Grinding teeth is a goat's way of saying "I"m in pain". They will do it for a variety of reason. Has nothing to do with tooth or mouth pain. Can do it during a fever, pnuemonia, bloat, worms, you name it, that is the first sign many times that a goat is sick before they show other symptoms. Too bad no one could save her. I can empathize with not doing the full work up. Hopefully he kept her comfortable.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com